Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Graham, do you wash?

Loved the witty subject line Donald and further fun that it generated. A hearty laugh over a morning coffee!

I have nothing on you mob with your fancy army painters and washes!#.

I have two minor points that may be of use (interest). Likely not, but oh well!:grinning:

1. A tip that I was many years ago is to thin paint with de-ionised (DI)/distilled water rather than tap water.
I'm not too fussed during painting, but always use DI water to thin the stock of paint.
Like Roger, perhaps more so in our warmer location, washing brushes is a regular requirement for me. I simply use my wash jar of tap water (plus a little dissolved paint residue, depending on when last changed!). A drop or two off the washed brush serves to thin the paint in my 'palette' as and when required.

2. A decant a little paint at a time into a 'palette'
A tub/bottle of paint goes a long way when painting these small figures so I shake (and stir if in a tub rather than a bottle) before putting a few drops from the stirrer (usually the 'handle' of a worn paintbrush) into a well of one of my 'palettes'. These are simply used pill blister packs, which I have acquired in the hundreds over the years of saving from family and friends. I cannot paint quickly enough to use them!

Anyway, thanks again for the hearty laugh and interesting insights on a hump day morning,

James

#I'm happily stuck well and truly in the 80s and 90s with black undercoat (Payne's Grey), base coat of main colours, black acrylic ink wash (with a drop of Pledge One Go added to increase viscosity) and then highlight/dry brush.

Re: Graham, do you wash?

James Fisher
Loved the witty subject line Donald and further fun that it generated. A hearty laugh over a morning coffee!

I have nothing on you mob with your fancy army painters and washes!#.

#I'm happily stuck well and truly in the 80s and 90s with black undercoat (Payne's Grey), base coat of main colours, black acrylic ink wash (with a drop of Pledge One Go added to increase viscosity) and then highlight/dry brush.

Good on you, James. I am pretty well in the same 'stuck in the past' approach to painting. OK, so I've progressed beyond shiny enamels, although I do still have a stock of 'smelly' Humbrol pots and use them occasionally, but the world of quick-paint washes etc has left me behind.

So, I wash a little, and only when necessary. The rest of the time it's good, fairly solid (sometimes thinned) colours over a dark base coat. Works for me, anyway.