Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Painting plastic figures

Roger W:
Thanks for this - it’s taken a lot of time and trouble and care to write and I appreciate it. I have looked at my Vallejo range and they are indeed ‘model color’ paints. I shall search out game colour. I shall also look at thinning the paints out, although I have tried this and not really found it very helpful in the past.

That is a real shame re Humbrol but now you mention it, when I used those years ago on my Waterloo figures I had a similar outcome.

Thanks again for helping me.

Graham

Graham A Price
Hello again;

Looking for more advice from the cognoscenti here please?

I have painted figures so far with Acrylics from usual firms (Vallejo; Citadel). Lovely ranges and I have lots of them.

However -and this is likely my admittedly poor painting skills - it seems that the paints are somewhat thick and tend to obscure details on the superb figures I own.

Like I said, this is likely my own fault but I was given to wondering if spirit based paints such as Humbrol give naturally thinner coats. Set that against the smaller range with a lack of extras like contrast, base, and layers as are produced by say, Citadel, or the greater number of shades in the Vallejo range, does anyone have a view on these matters please?

‘Let a thousand flowers bloom, and a thousand schools of thought prevail…’ Mao (he was lying!)
Hello,
In addition to all of the above replies,

I used Vallejo mostly with no problem at all.

I would recommend to use an electric shaker like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIARTY-Lacquer-Adjustable-Varnish-Art%EF%BC%88Black%EF%BC%89/dp/B08DXGFGFW/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=20CNVYEDXZEM2&keywords=bottle+shaker+nails&qid=1687674749&sprefix=nails+shaker%2Caps%2C349&sr=8-2

It really shake well the paint.
I also added a small metal ball in every bottle I have.
Finally I do a yearly review off all my bottles to assess and sometimes add a bit of thinner in it to keep it going.
I hope this helps.
Cheers
CPN

CPN
Thanks for your time and trouble writing that.

I think you have nailed part of the problem in that I keep paints too long. I shall also look at getting that shaker device!

Best wishes and much appreciated

Graham

For me, it's acrylic paints only. I use a variety but mainly Vallejo.
The trick is thinning the paint. Mostly, two thin coats are better than one thick one.

You mix in water to the blob of paint dropped onto your palette. How much? It varies depending upon the paint & what you are using the colour for. And then there's the Wet Palette.

Suggest you watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLcuicvJFKo

Good luck!

donald

Dear Donald,

Thanks for that and for the link too. I appreciate the input to help me.

I haven’t had much success thinning the paint in the past. I probably overthin it and it ends up running into crevices (a bit like the inks produced by Citadel used to) also as I use black primer (preferred because it doesn’t show the gaps in my awful painting efforts like white does 😂) it never really seems to properly cover. However, if it has worked then it should work for me… I just have to practice it a bit.

Many thanks and happy modelling!

Graham

Hi Graham.

If thinning acrylics with water has not worked for you, try like I said previously, use washing up liquid instead. It tends to prevent the acrylic from drying too quickly, but also helps the paint's viscosity (I think thats the word?!), so that it is more "spreadable" without turning the paint too watery, which sounds like your issue when thinning.

Put your paint on the palette first then squeeze a couple of drops of washing up liquid on the top of the paint, (for around a small coin worth of paint deposit, I generally use 2-3 drops of washing liquid). But have an experiment with the amount until you get it how you like.
Mix the washing up liquid and paint together on your palette so its all fully absorbed into the paint. I just use the handle end of an old paint brush.

If you have an empty Vallejo acrylic bottle spare, wash it out thoroughly (including the nozzle and cap), remove the nozzle as mentioned before (either by getting under the seam and lifting or using pliers/forceps to pull it out) & put fill that up with the washing up liquid. That way due to the dropper function of the bottle you have better control of how many drops you want to put in the paint.

Also it was Game Colour I found that was more hit & miss on consistency, not Model Colour. Model Colour I have been pretty happy with. Both the product & the choice of colours available.

If you still have issues with the Vallejo range despite trying all what me and others have mentioned, my advice is try the Army Painter range. When I have had to use them, due to my prefered being out of stock, I have found them to be a thinner consistency in general compared to Vallejo. You will probably find that at least 2 coats will be needed. Maybe some of their colours will be better than others on that front. But some browns and pale colours of theirs I have found to be indeed thin.
If there are Vallejo colours you are happy with, I think somewhere online I seen a conversion chart between Vallejo, Army Painter & Citadel etc. So you can find the nearest match to the colour when switching over.

Roger W
try the Army Painter range. When I have had to use them, due to my preferred being out of stock, I have found them to be a thinner consistency in general compared to Vallejo..

Roger is correct on this. I do like & use the Army Painter range as well but they need "extra" shaking - note, they now come with a ball bearing added to the dropper bottle to help with this.

I must admit I'm intrigued by Roger's fairy liquid hack. I don't really need it but I'm going to give it a go out of interest. You are never to old to learn new tricks!

donald