Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Dark Alliance Figures

I only found out about them from LOTR Wiki, Rich.The books never dealt with the theater they fought in; "Battle For The Lonely Mountain".

I've been rereading Return of the King and noting differences from the film. The cavalry of Dol Amroth play a sizable role in the battle of Minas Tirith, just not in the movie.

Differences between a book and a film? Surely not?

Don't get me wrong - there are many wonderful things about the LotR films - the weapons, the armour, the scenery, the photography and the music, even the acting - all incredible. But the script?

Oi vey, the script.

I bought into the films in a big way - I read the Lord of the Rings when I was about 11 or 12 and read it once a year until I hit about 5O, and Tolkien's work is still a huge part of my life (I even enjoyed Rings of Power), but although I did enjoy Fellowship, I was disappointed with the two subsequent films. There were bits that stood out, but the deviations from the story ranged from annoying to "Oh no! What are they doing now?"

Jackson in one of his interviews said "When we got stuck, we turned back to the book". Well it must have been a different book to the one I read.

I think the main culprit is Philippa Boyens - she is Peter Jackson's 'expert' on this, but quite frankly she just made stuff up.
But hey! What do I know?

The Dark Alliance figures have restored my believe in Middle Earth somewhat. DA are using the films as a basic start but they're exploring other areas as well. The Rangers, Imrahil and the Knights of Dol Amroth - they're nice figures but they can also be used in more general fantasy armies.

Some pictures of the DA figures -
Théoden on Snowmane
20210825-140431

Guthláf, the Royal Standard Bearer.
20210825-140644
The standard is nicked from Games Workshop's downloadable content.

The King's Knights
20210915-172113-2

Hello Steve,
Where you have Seen the Masters ?

Greetings
Michael

This all sounds very interesting. If these new sets are as good as the previous ones then I'll certainly be in the queue to buy a few boxes.

MHinz
Hello Steve,
Where you have Seen the Masters ?

Greetings
Michael
Hello Michael.
The owner of the range showed me some of the masters as part of a conversation.

VERY PLEASED to see more Alliance sets finally coming! I was thrilled to see supposed box art for Gondor Knights on VK! Interested to see the Dol Amrath set as these troops were totally ignored in the films. Not sure why they are doing 2 Eastern Tribe cavalry sets, but the more the merrier! Looking very much forward to these sets! Thanks for posting this MichaelHinz!

https://vk.com/photo-7879149_457265231?rev=1

Good afternoon gentlemen,
This is wonderful news. Glad to see that they are back at it. I believe the two sets of eastern cavalry could be the "Wainriders". I did a little digging on LOTR Wiki. Cant wait for their release.
Take care gentlemen and lets keep praying for Ukraine, Ole Ben

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting thought Ole Ben! I also did some digging awhile ago & saw the Eastern Tribes (Wasaki) had their own cavalry, tho the movies only showed infantry. I assumed the new sets were them, but I like your thought better. We shall have to wait & see.

yes sir, I believe the Wasaki would make awesome heavy Cavalry. And i could be completely wrong about them being Wainriders. After reading that LOTR WIKI entry it just seemed that they may be the opponents of the contingent from Dol Amreth that was sent to aid the good guys at the Lonely Mountain. At any rate, I am just glad they have gotten production back going. My kids are real excited, they love the fantasy figures. Well.... I do to, aint gonna lie.

Looking forward to these sets

Both the Easterlings and the Southrons fielded Cavalry in LOTR at the Pelenor fields and no doubt on other occasions

Hopefully there are some Southern Kingdom heavy foot coming too

Cheers

I agree & it is what I thought when I saw the mention of Eastern Tribe Cavalty, but Wainriders intrigue me. They fought on the side of men at the Lonely Mt? I had thought only Dwarves, Morkwood Elves & the men of Dale fought there?

I am also looking forward to these sets & am very pleased things have allowed production to continue. I just love these fantasy lines!