Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: French horse carabiniers 1810-1815

Dear Thomas,

White faced blue throughout.

The confusion may come from the Waterloo period when some units had a mixture of old Imperial and Royalist uniforms (particularly trumpeters and other musicians. The 1er chasseurs à cheval are a case in point with their helmets).

Dawson in his detailed 'Napoleon's Waterloo Army' (published by Frontline/Pen & Sword) states, beneath a Rocco plate depicting a carabinier:
In 1815 the Carabiniers were dressed in their traditional [i.e. second uniform 'traditional', JF] white habits. At no stage does archive evidence support the notion that the two regiments wore sky blue habits faced white."

This is also stated in the main text:
"Of note, no sky blue undress habits are listed, and indeed these items never existed.

(Dark) blue faced red was the coat colour of the original uniform when they sported bearskins. As modelled by Strelets in set #106 that I like so much!

Regards,

James

Re: French horse carabiniers 1810-1815

There is a lot of confusion about the uniforms of the carabiniers. According to the reglement white with light blue facings (that's for sure!). But it seems that also the reversed colours at least by some troopers were worn (to which extend is unclear, maybe only caused by shortages in available cloth; or these were the light blue off duty uniforms to save the white ones from tear and wear).

Take a look at this link:
https://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/French_Cavalry.html#frenchhorsecarabiniers

For Waterloo the latest generally accepted opinion is light blue faced white. And I know some figure enthousiasts for this battle which recoloured their miniatures.

Kind Regards
Thomas