Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New technology for figures in 1/72

Wow, it looks amazing. Nice work! Was it difficult to paint? As they are a little bit more 3 dimension figures than the traditional mound injection ones?

Kind regards,

Yevgen

Those figures do look amazing. I have one question though. Do they size up with the Strelets figures? I have ordered some figures from a manufacturer of metal figures( not Art Miniaturen or Schilling) whereby the figures were clearly oversized. more like 24/25mm iso 20-22 mm. The length usually is no insurmountable problem at 24mm, for there were taller soldiers in each regiment, but the proportions and the bulk are too much compared to the very well proportioned figures by our host.

From left to right, Grenadier HAT, Zvezda, Speira, Franznap, ESCI, and the last two miniature schilling.
I raised the Speira a bit because its base is extra flat.

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

These figures are so detailed that I personally couldn't resist painting all the details.
They are very easy to paint because all the details are clear and well marked, the brush glides by itself.

Very nice, and do You see the levels of 3d printer once You print them?

In the photos I do not see them at all.

Raph86
From left to right, Grenadier HAT, Zvezda, Speira, Franznap, ESCI, and the last two miniature schilling.
I raised the Speira a bit because its base is extra flat.

These figures are so detailed that I personally couldn't resist painting all the details.
They are very easy to paint because all the details are clear and well marked, the brush glides by itself.
[/url][/url][/url]They looks gorgeous, it can be the future of our hobby. No extra plastic, and more 3 dimension poses. The unique thing is it’s price….. 3€ per figure in Speira.

Hello Yevgen,

it is good that you are informed beforehand and are careful with the toxic Resin material. But over the last year I have had frequent contact with people who have also just started with 3D printing. And it was shocking how little these people were aware of what they were dealing with and the dangers they were exposing themselves to.

A young man complained that the printing process smelled so badly of chemicals. He would have the printer in the living room and his wife would have complained about it. Also, some fish would have died in his aquarium since he left the printer running there. I then made it clear to the good boy that he was working with highly toxic stuff. He was really shocked and now only operates the printer in his garage.

So I just wanted to warn you. But I see that you are well informed and well prepared.

Here are a few links to companies and Internet marketplaces. The prices for finished print files are quite high. Because the sellers of the files know that they will definitely not just used for printing a single figure.

For example, if you have found printing files for a few nice marching soldiers and then print these files 100 times to create whole marching columns, the price is put into perspective. But if you only need for example a flag bearer once then 4-6 EUR for such a file is very expensive.

https://store.regimientosdeamerica.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

https://germania-figuren.eu/3D-Drucker---Druckdateien/

https://www.3dprintterrain.de/collections/figure-sets

From my own experience, however, I can say that the design of such detailed figures with a CAD program takes an enormous amount of time. I have often worked 2-3 weeks (in the evenings) on the few figures that I have designed myself so far. If you want them to look good, you must invest 50-60 hours of construction time. And this has its price...

The people from SPEIRA in Sweden are also ready to make the figures a bit smaller / bigger, just as the customers want it. This can be specified on their website when ordering.
For the CAD-software, the switch from 1:72 to 1:725 or 1:74 is done quickly. Click twice with the computer mouse and the figure shrinks or grows...

Gerd
Hello Yevgen,

it is good that you are informed beforehand and are careful with the toxic Resin material. But over the last year I have had frequent contact with people who have also just started with 3D printing. And it was shocking how little these people were aware of what they were dealing with and the dangers they were exposing themselves to.

A young man complained that the printing process smelled so badly of chemicals. He would have the printer in the living room and his wife would have complained about it. Also, some fish would have died in his aquarium since he left the printer running there. I then made it clear to the good boy that he was working with highly toxic stuff. He was really shocked and now only operates the printer in his garage.

So I just wanted to warn you. But I see that you are well informed and well prepared.

Here are a few links to companies and Internet marketplaces. The prices for finished print files are quite high. Because the sellers of the files know that they will definitely not just used for printing a single figure.

For example, if you have found printing files for a few nice marching soldiers and then print these files 100 times to create whole marching columns, the price is put into perspective. But if you only need for example a flag bearer once then 4-6 EUR for such a file is very expensive.

https://store.regimientosdeamerica.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

https://germania-figuren.eu/3D-Drucker---Druckdateien/

https://www.3dprintterrain.de/collections/figure-sets

From my own experience, however, I can say that the design of such detailed figures with a CAD program takes an enormous amount of time. I have often worked 2-3 weeks (in the evenings) on the few figures that I have designed myself so far. If you want them to look good, you must invest 50-60 hours of construction time. And this has its price...

The people from SPEIRA in Sweden are also ready to make the figures a bit smaller / bigger, just as the customers want it. This can be specified on their website when ordering.
For the CAD-software, the switch from 1:72 to 1:725 or 1:74 is done quickly. Click twice with the computer mouse and the figure shrinks or grows...
Thank You Gerd for so much information.

I have printed some times, but I always try not to do it often.

Hope it can be made more “clean” processs in near future. It would be great to be like picture printing (the first printers was also very difficult to use and dangerous).

I always check 2 sites which has very good historical files:

- Wargaming3D

https://www.wargaming3d.com/

- Myminifactory

https://www.myminifactory.com/

I buy there the files and the most popular eras are: ww2 and Napoleonic. Which is very good for me as Napoleonic is mine.

In wargaming3d there is a special place where You can contract companies to print the figures.

Kind regards,

Yevgen

Gerd,

Please show us Your 3d figures. It’s very interesting.

Kind regards,

Yevgen

Thanks Raph86 for the images. It is good to see they match up reasonably. It widens my scope.

3D printed figures seem decent enough, albeit they can be fragile in certain areas such as swords, bayonets etc. But the level of detail is amazing and the faces have good lifelike appearance to them.
I have been buying some from a UK based ebay seller. I have purchased and enjoyed painting both Napoleonic French & British artillery and Dutch/Belgian Carabiniers. Some Hannoverian Infantry too.
The British & French infantry have proportions which may not be to everyones taste, but I have seen worse.
There are some nice wagons too.
I will probably put a order in for some figures from Spiera Miniatures in the new year too. Loads of figures on there I like the look of!

I wouldn't mind getting into 3D printing at some stage myself. I need to do a lot more reading up about it, pros/cons, designing items etc. I can see its uses beyond miniatures. It is certainly an exciting technology.
What we really need is someone to invent the replicators out of Star Trek!!!

I see

Piano wargames

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pianowargames/the-alps-aflame/description

Napoleonic stl

Coexmini

Multi size figures

Thank you for this link..

Really wonderful figures of the napoleonic area..

This figures can be used to represent the units of the German principalities that had sided with Napoleon at the time.

They are slt-print files for 28mm figures, but there is no problem downsizing these files to 1:72 with the printer's software.

In 1:72 they should look fantastic...

Link to the shop: https://pianowargames.de/de/collections/stl-bundles

Yes, they are great.

The post was well-written, providing an in-depth look at the subject matter. www.themagazinepro.com

I looking forward to decent ancient figures. There is need for Iberians or decent fighting phalanxes. I would love to create my own. Which 3d printer is usful? Which software is the best choice?

Zvezda created the last batch of their big sets via 3d (spartans for example). I would like to try this myself.

Hello,

i think the Elegoo Saturn S-Printer would be a good choice if you just want to print small vehicles or soldiers in 1/72-Scale. But the previous models Eleggo Saturn oder the Elegoo MARS are also very good and sufficient devices.

The printers have different sizes and can then also produce larger objects. However, you then have to handle larger quantities of the toxic resin liquid.

You might want to try your first steps with a used Elegoo Mars printer. Such devices can sometimes be found for as little as EUR 80....

But Anycubic also has good printers...

It just depends on what you want to do with them.
Most people eventually buy one of these printers and then use it for a number of years. As such, there are no real comparisons to use as a basis to help you make your choice. Therefore, before you buy a 3D-printer, it is better to read a few test reports and comparisons on the Internet.

And then you have to determine your needs (faster printing, large or small printed parts ??) and choose a device (price / performance).

To create Your own figures You will need software and You have two options:

- Blender: it’s totally free software, but a little bit complicated in the first steps

- Zbrush: it’s more intuitive program and more easier to use then Blender. The unique problem is that You have ti pay 30-40€ monthly for that program. Well taking into account that it’s worth 3-4 sets per months it’s not so much.

Hope this will help.

Kind regards,

Yevgen