Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Favorite Strelets Set of All Time?

I feel this should be broken down into 2 categories:
Infantry and Cavalry. For Infantry my favorite set is set 140 Highlanders Marching. The facial detail is outstanding, I really like the bushy sideburns. The men are fully kitted, crossbelts and straps are well done. In my opinion, all the Highlander sets done by Strelets, are the "Industry Standard", no one can touch Strelets team for Highlanders! In the Cavalry Category, my all time favorite Set is Set 120, the Mameluks set. Again the facial detail is great and all the men are equiped with a miriad of weapons and equipment.You don't want to face against these guys in a battle!

Paul K.

Really hard to say ... Probably most of the WoSS sets, I'll be eternally grateful for Strelets' decision to delve into this era, even though for me it comes a little late in life ... 😉. That said, probably the French Chasseurs d'Afrique and the Russian Dragoons from the Borodino set. And ... and ...and so many others. The old Napoleonic command sets are great too and the CSA mounted command. The Lützow Uhlans and ... guess I could go on for quite some time ... 😄.

Greetings and Good Wishes from the Western United States!

Dear Babylonian,

Your question is a great one, especially because it encourages me to take inventory of all the great sets the Strelets Team has gifted us already. OK, so, favorites ...

* Infantry set would be Colonial (Boer War) / M133 British Infantry Skirmishing set. The Pith Helmets have very nice and accurate sculpting and I feel the same about the double ammo pouches held up with braces. (I keep a sprew on my desk just to be able to admire them 24/7).

* Cavalry set might be Crimean War Set 023 British Heavy Dragoons. Why you ask? Well again the Helmets and faces are absolutely awesomely detailed. This was the set that put me under a hypnotic trance to buy every Charge of the Light Brigade Set. All sets considered, there is plenty of action!

* Favorite Single Figure Pose is Hands Down - The French Foreign Legionnaire Waving (to me). He comes from the 192 Desert Patrol set. To me, this guy epitomizes the greatness of lost soldiers looking for a place to call home. He stands proud in front of my computer waving at me and saying ... "Hi Garrison; come join us in the Legion and experience many adventures!"

Once again, Godspeed to Babylonian, The Strelets Team and all! - GC :earth_africa: :earth_americas:

Personnellement je préfère les ensembles de la Guerre des Boers, tant les Britanniques que les Ecossais. Mais aussi les artilleries. Dommage qu'il manque la cavalerie et les unités hindoues.

La guerre du Rif est aussi dans mes préférés. La encore cela serait parfait s'il y avait les Espagnols (ils sont à l'origine de cette guerre) et les zouaves.

Restez en sécurité, toute l'équipe.

Hervé

Well, I've been painting some of the WoSS British Infantry Firing Line set this afternoon, and thinking what a great set this is. So, maybe that one.

But then that is only until (all being well) some of the new and forthcoming WoSS sets are produced. Either of the new cuirassier sets could claim the prize. Or perhaps the Dutch infantry firing line set, previewed recently.

Let us hope and pray for a better and more peaceful time soon.

I think most of the WSS sets are excellent. My favourite would possibly be the British infantry in advance though.

Special mention though to the original Boer set-very chunky, but full of character and generally a 'fun' set.

Set 115 Lawrence of Arabia (my favourite among many others, especially middle ages, ww1, colonial era and ACW)

Easily 106 Early French Carabiniers, for me.

Powerful men on big horses with bearskins, my favourite style of cavalry. The figures are great for the topic 'as advertised' but also the best figures in the scale for Grenadiers a cheval and Gendarmes d'Elite (horse swaps for the former and a little bit of knife-putty work on the bearskin chords and aiguillettes if you really feel the need).

Secondly, since we always answer questions like this with more than we are asked for (!), any of the French cuirassier sets, 'cause they are my second favourite Napoleonic cavalry. All big, powerful figures on big horses.

084 Borodino, gorgeous, 'at-rest' cuirassier figures;
089 French Cuirassiers in Winter Dress which can be either cuirassiers or (half of them at least) dragoons in cloaks. I really like the rolled flag too.
094 French Cuirassiers (Summer Dress), which I really like for winter due to the tattered flag and poses that are perfect for charging through the snow at Eylau;
105 French Cuirassiers in Attack, dynamic, attacking figures.

Regards,

James

Make that another who likes the older sets of Napoleonic French Cuirassiers.

My top 10 Napoleonics from Strelets would be.....

1: French Cuirassiers in attack
2: French Cuirassiers summer dress
3: British Infantry in attack
4: Highlanders in attack
5: Bavarians in attack
6: Prussians Marching/shoulder arms
7: Highlanders in firing line
8: Highlanders in square
9: Austrian Uhlans (Troopers only)
10: Prussian Uhlans (Troopers only)

The Highland infantry firing/in square would be great but they are let down by the forage caps and not having enough kneeling-defending poses in the in square set, as opposed to having some odd bayoneting poses for those standing in square.

The Uhlans would of been much higher on the list but some excellent trooper figures are let down by the quite poor horses.

Another excellent set is the new Russian Jager in summer dress.

Personally love all the WSS stuff but particularly like the dismounted French Sragoons. Conversely, real shame about the French Infantry firing line… poor weaponry does it down.

I saw Babylonians post before anyone had replied, a favourite did not spring to mind and still does not. My favourite Airfix set has changed over time, from a Wow how good, to the ones most nostalgic to me. The LRDG/SAS sets probably because I campaigned for them, they fill a big hole and not least they are very good. But there are others that are nostalgic ,as mentioned already the Boer war original British infantry , the Anglo Saxon sets etc etc. Ask me again in fifty years and no doubt all of that will change just like it has with Airfix.

Probably my favorite Strelets set is also my first one, the Crimean War French Light Infantry. I liked the all unique poses and the real character that the figures had. I was also happy to finally see some new Crimean War figures besides the ESCI/Italeri sets, and went on to buy most of the Strelets Crimean range.
Additionally, I also love the Strelets FFL sets, both for the colonial period and WW2. It was so nice to see this unit get more coverage in the hobby.

The two WWII Early War US Infantry sets. I got a lot of them and every time I get a chance I buy some more of them. I can't get enough. They are superb. The standing soldier with Montana Peak Hat firing his M1911 Colt .45 pistol is one of my favorites of all time. And the kneeling solider firing the M1919 Browning water cooled .30 caliber machine gun, in one piece! Such engineering!

Could be my favorite troops in my whole collection. I give honorable mention to the US Navy sailors for the early war period as well.

Can't wait for the new WWII US Army early war set to come out. Already saving up!

Mike Bunkermeister Creek

My favorites are the new Boer war skirmishing British M133 and the old Boers 056.
Waiting for a chance to grab a second pack of both