Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Revell or HaT Third Silesian War?

TheBabylonian109
I am here today to ask the provocative question, which line do you prefer?

Option #1: Pure Revell line, mostly ignoring HaT.

Option #2: HaT infantry with Revell support elements.

Option #3: A mix of all options shown on PSR.

For Empress Maria and King Friedrich!
Third Silesian War = the 'Seven Years War' fought in the theatre of (mainly) Silesia between the Prussians of Frederick II and the Austro-Hungarian forces of the Empress Maria Theresa.

Your question is an intriguing one, especially since it asks for figures produced not by Strelets but by two other companies to be compared.

But, for my money's worth, here are a few thoughts:

- The Revell Prussian Infantry is not a good set. The PSR evaluation is fair. I have too many of these tall, gangly, awkward figures (bought many years ago at a knock down price) to know what to do with. The Austrians are better, Prussian Hussars OK, the Austrian artillery is superb, Austrian Dragoons have very good horses, but small riders with tiny heads. A mixed bag then.

- The Hat Prussians are a bit strange, too large but with very useful interchangeable headgear. The Austrians are better.

- I would not use the Revell Prussian infantry at all, but the other Revell sets I would use. My Prussian infantry is basically all HaT...oversized, but they look OK massed together.

However, as we pray for a return to peace in the Ukraine and happier days, my real desire is that maybe one day Strelets will make some Seven Years War figures!:slightly_smiling_face:

I am clearly less discerning than my friend, Minuteman, as I use anything I can lay my hands on for the SYW. HaT, Revell, Zvesda, ACTA, Airfix.Some Strelets. etc. I have Prussian, Austrian & French armies (which I couldn't do without Wodenfield metals).

I actually prefer the HaT stuff to the Revell stuff. This is mainly due to size- the Revell is (mostly) a tad small & I'd prefer my SYW to be on the big side.

Some of my battles:
Emsdorf:
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=173&t=25055

Reichenberg:
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=173&t=24566

Lobositz:
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=173&t=23862

A devised battle:
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=173&t=25324

I am currently working on a time-consuming project converting HaT SYW Austrian infantry into Hungarians.
But infantry isn't the real problem. Artillery is (thank goodness for the Revell set & ACTA AWI). Heavy cavalry is entirely missing. Lots of conversions necessary (those extra HaT Prussian tricornes are essential).

One thing I'd love is a set of French hussars. I use the Revell ones but, like much of the Revell range, the figures are small & pinheaded (IMO).

If Strelets took on the period with the verve & style they address the WSS, life would be sweet.

donald

Usually I would focus a little more on Strelets, but figured they would not mind a little talk about a related range to try and help pass the rough times. But yeah, I am ALL for a Seven Years' War line sometime in the future once the WoSS line can start up again. Hohenzollern Prussians, Bourbon French, Hapsburg Austrians & Hungarians (etc.), Romanov Russians, Brits for all theatres, Shawnee, Mohawks, Mughals, sign me up! I find the era even more intriguing than the Nappy times due to the other theatres of war. :sunglasses:

P.S.- For those of you whom have either been or plan to travel to Berlin, the full Frederick experience is in what is now known as Bebelplatz. In addition to the site of the main library and State Opera House, St. Hedwig's Catholic Cathedral was specifically commissioned by the King because Hedwig was the patron saint of Silesia, the namesake of three separate wars (the final being embedded in the SYW) as Minuteman mentioned. Oh and there is a statue of the king looking at you as well. :nerd_face:

First World War

The SYW has been arguably labelled the First World War. Apart from the conflict in Europe, war in the Americas, Africa & India (Plassey anyone?) make it an ideal field for any manufacturer with delusions of grandeur.

I, myself, am only interested in the European theatre where there are many gaps (Russian army???) but I know many, many others would love to dabble in the SYW fought elsewhere.

So. When are you starting, Strelets?

donald

Seven Years War conversions

While waiting for a manufacturer to expand the available ranges, the only way forward is conversions. The simplest are paint conversions, I have recently acquired some Airfix Hussars to fight for Austria. Also the Napoleonic Saxon Cuirassiers are only a hat swop from fighting in both main armies. I also produced a regiment of British Light Dragoons via conversions before Italeri released theirs. Prussian artillery would be greatly appreciated.

Cut and paste

Malcolm
Also the Napoleonic Saxon Cuirassiers are only a hat swop from fighting in both main armies. .

I'm a glutton for punishment.

To create a unit of SYW Austrian cuirassiers, I used the Zvesda GNW dragoons & the Zvesda Saxon Cuirassiers - the former for their long coat tails & the latter for their breastplates:

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23879&p=261428&hilit=syw+cuirassiers#p261428

To date, I've done one unit as it is a lengthy process.

I'd love to see photos of your work. As much as I like Strelets' forum, Bennos is far easier to post photos.

donald

Re: First World War

I myself am more interested in the North American theater. All the frontier battles along the Canadian border are so fascinating. I would someday love to make a diorama series on the war with Fort Duquesne, Fort William Henry, Carillon, Louisbourg… I could go on. It’s a very interesting theater of the war to say the least.

Asher Croy
I myself am more interested in the North American theatre. .

Tempting.
But I already cover enough (too many?) periods. The F&IWs are also more aligned to skirmish gaming & I largely prefer Big Battles. However, I think the potential popularity of this sub-period should also give Strelets reason to consider.

donald

I'm with you Asher. (By the way, you did receive my response to your email with the pdf that I sent 'by reply' all those weeks ago?)

The French & Indian War (La guerre de la Conquête) is a fascinating period. So interesting to read about and to recreate on the tabletop. Lots of different 'troops', albeit all on foot, numerous battles around the 'border' of the thirteen colonies and New France. Terrain, terrain and more terrain. As Peter Berry put it in his excellent Ranger! rules 'most of the tabletops is forest, with a few clear areas'. Makes for a wonderful campaign or series of linked battles.

Regards, James