Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WoSS Historiography—expanding backwards would be grand

Strelets already have enough on their very busy agenda, but it would be great to have this range expanded backwards to include troops more suited for the late 17thC; in hats with brims left flat (i.e. not in the turned-up fashion that has come to be called 'tricorne'). Some pike and twelve apostles for the infantry. They would likely best be 'badged' as Grand Alliance, but I'm looking at the Scanian War.

Cavalry would be especially fabulous as I cannot see anything that is easily adapted. I am happy to utilise some of Mars' offerings for the infantry, although I'd jump at something from Strelets that was sculpted specifically for the period.

Yeah, I know, too many requests from too many people, but at least this one is a expansion of an existing and actively expanding range!

Regards, James

Re: WoSS Historiography—expanding backwards would be grand

Je rejoint James sur les armées au chapeau a bord plats du début du reigne de LOUIS XIV car beaucoup plus de conflits en perspective
Concernant les figurines pour mes armées Françaises j utilise les figurines Mars très precises

Re: WoSS Historiography

I'm shocked that somebody else out there has actually played Cossacks. Just this week I was playing Cossacks 3, which is just a remaster of the old one. Great game, and one that really helped me get into this era of history.

😁 Me too. Age of Empires is my main series, but Cossacks/American Conquest are nice to play too. Picked up Cossacks 3 as well a few months back, lots of campaigns to putter through.

The WSS or GNW never got mentioned in my high school (England) late 70s early 80s , although i did know about the Duke of Marlborough and some of the battles from library books.
One of my favourite books was Military uniforms of the world by Preben Kannik with its wonderful coloured uniforms.
Got offered s copy of this 4 years ago at my local library, in unused condition for the grand price of 25p (£0.25) GBP, still like looking through it despite its age.

Went to a grammar school. History started at 1066 day one, year one, and ended in about 1900 at the end of the fifth year. Emphasis on British history with some European and World history where necessary.

A Level history, timetabling forced me to take European 17th and 18th Century (and American history 1783-1945). Wasn’t very interested and taught badly but did WoSS then.)

My real interest is in a slightly earlier era - The Sedgemoor Campaign of 1685 in Somerset -local interest as I grew up in the West Country. WoSS near enough to interest me.

I have the Kannik book too - very nice but I think my introduction to the period was being spoon-fed the old Military Modelling magazine from an early age.
Never studied the period academically at school or after...

Philip Ball
I have the Kannik book too - very nice but I think my introduction to the period was being spoon-fed the old Military Modelling magazine from an early age.
Never studied the period academically at school or after...
Interesting how a few, really good books get you inspired - or did when we were young and the Internet did not exist.

A top 4 or 5 for me were:

'Waterloo' by Henri Lachouque: Our school library had a copy and I made a bee-line to it every wet lunchtime

'Uniforms of the World' by Kannick as mentioned: ditto

'The Wargame' by Charles Grant

'The Armies at Waterloo' by Ugo Pericoli

Plus: Military Modelling Magazine: I still have c. 10 year's worth of back issues from the late 70s/early 80s stuffed in a couple of crates in the garage

Hi

Greetings from a stormy Britain. Interesting chat. As already said none of the 18th century history was taught in school. What filtered through was very Anglo centric - Blenheim and Marlborough, no mention that Britain did nt actually win the war!

Learnt about it, along with many other wars from wargaming and the history sections of the libraries at University and back home. Not critising the history syllabus, lot of history and not enough time to cover at school. Modern history is more relevant, accessible and important in these troubled times.

Was inspired by a similar set of books to Minuteman plus the Blandford series.

More interested in GNW until Strelets brought out this range then had another look. A very colourful period and busy painting up various contingents.

The two conflicts overlapped, so hopefully a set of Swedes in full Go Pa mode may come out to upgrade the earlier range?

Cheers

Ps another ex Cossacks player, brilliant graphics at the time with Polish Winged Hussars!!

Right??? Cossacks was the first time I had ever read about the legendary reputation of the Winged Hussars, and man oh man they are powerful in the game. :smile:

Ahhh cossaks ! Des nuits devant le computer cigarette sur cigarettes ... Depuis je ne fume plus !

Nobody have plaques with "civilisation" de Sidi M'aider le top !!!