Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mid-Late 19th Century Europe

Not personally a big interest of mine, as it is a little too close to modern times for comfort. I think many others should be interested though. Branching out from the traditional UK topics (Crimean, Zulu Wars, etc.) and ACW would be nice. There is certainly plenty available to do something like a rise of Germany line with Danes, French, Austrians, Bavarians, and of course Otto von Bismarck/Helmut von Moltke Prussians. Italian unification wars are interesting in their own right as well. And frankly the American Western conflicts are severely underdeveloped even compared to their Marx influenced plastic 1/32 scale cousins.

I have zero interest in late 19th Century European conflicts.

The ACW, American West, and the Spanish American War as well as the Boxer Rebellion would be great. Boxer Rebellion is covered by another company, but the figures are trolls, IMHO.

Looking forward to getting more WWII US Army, early war, particularly, and Dutch, particularly for the Pacific, and Thai troops fought against the FFL in Indochina, so that opens several types of troops that would be great.

Canada and the US fought Japan in Alaska and the Canadians used a weird variety of US and British and Canadian kit which would be interesting.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

The period between the mid-19th Century (eg: Crimean War and American Civil War) and the end of that century has tended to be covered in this hobby almost entirely by colonial sets covering the conflicts in various parts of the old British Empire. A few sets have been made of Italian and Austrian troops, but these are not especially good. Strelets have made a few sets for the Russo-Turkish conflict, and Emhar made two sets for the FP war. And I think that is about it!

I would support the idea of a small number of sets for key European conflicts during this period, especially related to the wars of Italian unification and the Franco-Prussian conflict. There was a time when A N Other once-prolific manufacturer was planning to make sets for the FP war, but these never came to fruitiion...although I think some master figures were made.

Hmmm. Good question!
Not so much the late 19th Century but for the mid-period, something like the 1st Anglo-Sikh War 1845-1846 would grab my attention. I would be interested in seeing the Crimean War with the better standards of sculpting remade too.

If I was to rank the conflicts I currently show or would show an interest in sets for......

1 Napoleonic Wars
2 American War of Independence
3 1st Anglo-Sikh War 1845-1846
4 War of 1812
5 Crimean War (remakes)

So I guess my main interest is the early to mid 1800s rather than the later period.

Now the AWI is obviously the later 1700s, but it would be good to see the American regular infantry & British given the Strelets type sets of "marching", "attack", "firing" treatment. Then as and when its possible for Strelets to fit it in, add the cavalry & artillery for them.
The Imex/Italeri figures just didnt give the war the best coverage in my opinion.

I think there is plenty of potential here for new sets. The Italian Wars of Unification have some good and some not so good sets from Waterloo 1815 and Lucky Toys but there are plenty of gaps to be filled. Many of the French Crimean War sets can be easily adapted for the Italian Wars. On the subject of the Crimean War it would be nice to see some new toolings of the Line Infantry sets.
I would be interested in sets for the Franco-Prussian War. The Emhar sets are a good start but Bavarian Infantry as well as Artillery and Cavalry sets for all involved are required.

I am with you there Roger. I would probably say that the American War of Independence and War of 1812 are probably at the top of my interests as well. I really feel that if Strelets gave the AWI the same coverage as the WoSS then it could be one of the best 1/72 ranges on the market. Such a diverse range of troops fought in the war across a variety of environments that I don't think there would be any lack of inspiration. The War of 1812 on the other probably wouldn't need extensive coverage, just the essentials would be nice. Expansion upon the ACW and Indian Wars would also be very welcome.

That being said my top 5 would probably be:

1.AWI
2.Seven Years/French and Indian
3.War of 1812
4.19th Century European Wars of Unification
5.Crimean War (redone)

For anybody interested in the battle of solferino check this out:

https://www.black-watch-miniatures.de/figuren-massstab-1-72/kategorie-2/

some pictures here: http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=241729

Of course these are metal, but as long as there's nothing else ...

Thank you Flambeau! I'll be sure to relay the information.

i think we all would likes new sets made for other eras but i think it comes down to what sells.the ranges are hosts do must sell well.to make a new range must cost a few bob to design if it bombs.it money down the pan.and it. and would cut down the amount of the range of figures they are doing for ranges now.ie they released say 40 sets a year two years a go most were nappy over the two releases. then they started woss range and the nappy range reduced by 3 to 4 sets.i think as they make only so many sets a year there would have to be reduction in the ranges being made at moment. guys are crying out for sets to be made in ranges now being done. so its a catch 22 we all like to have new era sets but it comes at a cost

Don't forget the Wars in South America. The 1879-84 War between Chile, Peru and Bolivia is well worth looking into. The armies look like European armies and are equipped in a similar way, they just don't always fight like them.

I have been working on forces for the Crimean war using a mix of Strelets and Emhar figures filling the gaps with conversions and a few metals from Tumbling Dice. Many of the early Strelets sets are out of production and all but impossible to find, sculpting quality aside,so I had to get creative: British Line infantry came from Austrian Grenzers, mostly a simple paint conversion, while Russians were made from Prussian Landwehr. My Strelets guardsmen had to have command figures found in another manufacturer's Napoleonic command set, while my Turks are led by converted 1877 artillerymen!

I'm always surprised there aren't more sets made for these interesting and colourful conflicts. I guess once again its down to popularity and awareness. There is an absolute treasury of inspiration for the modeller and wargamer and so surely a niche that could be filled by an enterprising manufacturer? Unfortunately, people, even in the countries these events took place, often know little or nothing about them so I guess that would undermine sales against better known (if less colourful) conflicts.