Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Horses/Mules

The big box set of generic horses by Eagle Games has been a very useful addition to my herd replacing broken or older, poor quality sculpts, it's a shame no one makes a similar set in basic draught harness.

Another vote for command sets too, as most infantry regiments carried two flags, and as many as five in the SYW, so in a box of 40, one pose isn't enough. These guys were young officers too, so sticking a pin and a paper flag in the hands of a musketeer isn't really ideal. Such a set would be a great place to put the casualty figures as well which make forming battalions from multiples of musket men in similar poses easier, without having the 'odd man out'

Stuart

Another vote for command sets too, as most infantry regiments carried two flags, and as many as five in the SYW, so in a box of 40, one pose isn't enough. These guys were young officers too, so sticking a pin and a paper flag in the hands of a musketeer isn't really ideal. Such a set would be a great place to put the casualty figures as well which make forming battalions from multiples of musket men in similar poses easier, without having the 'odd man out'
I take your point Stuart, but that is the wargamer-unit view isn't it? Yes, SYW regiments may have had 2 or more flags...but they had between 400-600 men per battalion too.

The ideal is a foot officer with standard pole in one hand and drawn sword in the other. If you don't need that many young and newly-commissioned ensigns, just remove the pole and keep the sword-in-hand, as a straightforward foot officer.

I like separate command sets, but as several mentioned, I want a full set of troops, not 24 troops and 48 bits of kit. I do like extra heads, but give me enough to do something with, four heads don't help much.

The last couple months I have been buying British HaT Zulu Wars and Hat Napoleonic French Command sets for a couple projects I am working one. Neither of them are for the intended wars. I am using the Zulu Wars figures to make Police and the Napoleonic figures to make "toy" soldiers for a Disneyland project.

I am also in need of any Strelets Scots command figures, flag bearers, pipers, drummers, even officers for my police project. American police have a strong Irish and Scots heritage and often have drum and bugle corps who appear at parades, and funerals. I am reluctant to spend a few hundred dollars on getting two dozen figures!

We need draft mules. The US Army used mules to tow wagons from at least the ACW until 1943, almost never used horses to tow wagons. A simple set of 16 mules in harness, and no human figures would be great. No boxes as loads, no machine guns, no bare back mules, just a simple harness to tow a wagon.

This suggestion comes up over and over on all the figure forums and has for at least 20 years, and never gets made. Some always suggests metal, but way to expensive to buy 100+ mules in metal. Or one of the plastic sets with two or four pack mules in it, again too expensive.

16 mules, in harness, in four poses. Very simple set.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Mike Bunkermeister Creek

We need draft mules. The US Army used mules to tow wagons from at least the ACW until 1943, almost never used horses to tow wagons. A simple set of 16 mules in harness, and no human figures would be great. No boxes as loads, no machine guns, no bare back mules, just a simple harness to tow a wagon.

This suggestion comes up over and over on all the figure forums and has for at least 20 years, and never gets made. Some always suggests metal, but way to expensive to buy 100+ mules in metal. Or one of the plastic sets with two or four pack mules in it, again too expensive.

16 mules, in harness, in four poses. Very simple set.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog
Agreed Mike. This is a subject that comes up time and time again... And yet....

If any company can do it right now, then Strelets can. Just a few, very few, sets of 'Military Transport' are all we need. Mule trains for one, Camel trains perhaps for another, and Draught Horses for the third. Each with a basic harness and - perhaps - a few token (human) figures. A couple of ACW figures for the Mule train; Arabs for the Camel train; maybe generic Napoleonic (handlers in greatcoats and covered shakos) or generic C18th horse handlers (tricornes) for the Draught horses.

Three sets along these lines could cover many periods and would be very useful. If marketing and sales is an issue, then they might be released in each case as a limited edition; 5,000 sets each.