Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Latin American campaigns.

I don't understand the reluctance either - meanwhile for further filmic inspiration type "Battle of Torreon" on Youtube - wow!

Imex made a set of Mexican War US infantry, but unfortunately, it was done by their later sculptor who specialized in poor research and stiff, disproportionate poses. It's also in terrible, fragile and brittle plastic. They never made an opponent set. I guess they assumed people could use their Alamo Mexican range (also by the same sculptor and probably even worse).

I heartily agree - the nearest I can think of for Latino subjects is some probably very hard to find troops for the Spanish-American War of 1898.
I asked Strelets a while back if they would consider doing Villistas, but at that time it didn't figure in their plans.
I have a substantial number of metal Jacklex figures (which are superb) from that firm's Punitive Expedition range (much of which is eminently suitable for the Mexican Revolution), and have considered trying to add plastic figures to it, or even conversions, but when you consider the splendid job Strelets has done with idiosyncratic figures like Bashi-Bazouks and Ukrainians it's a shame they do not do a few sets of Mexicans for 1910-20,
Many WW1 figures from various plastic ranges are usable or convertible for troops in peaked caps and I have a contingent of Jacklex 1904 Japanese cavalry for use as early-war Federale cavalry (they have the right shako, and a paint job makes them Mexican) ... but it needs more: dinamateros (dynamite bombardiers, who were often small boys), soldaderos women fighters, peasants with machetes, Villista cavalry - etc.
The other periods you mention are also interesting - Jacklex has a new Mexican range for the Maximilian period (including Belgians!) which could be put to many different uses - but I'd argue the Mexrev would sell well. Models2U does an Alamo accessories pack which includes a satisfyingly large selection of plastic cactii ...but we need some more vaqueros to bring it to life.

Jacklex looks like a great line! I'm definitely going to look into ordering some. I hope postage to the USA is not prohibitively expensive. Thank you, Roy, for telling us about this company.

I think Villa and Pershing would be two or more great sets.

The Gran Chaco War would be a good one also.

I belong to a number of Spanish language Facebook groups about toy soldiers and they are very popular in Central and South America. It should be a huge untapped market there, and making the kinds of troops that reflect their history would help.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Owner Mark Lambert is a very nice chap, who acquired the vintage Jacklex range from original founder Mr Alexander (who retired aged 82 and is still wargaming at 90-plus) and immediately set about adding to the various ranges.
The figs are immaculately cast and come packed in boxes full of sawdust to avoid any chafing. The figures are perfectly compatible with plastic 20's; eg I'm using dismounted ACW cavalrymen to go with mounted plastic ACW cavalry - whose ranks now also include some of the metal mounted figures.
Best of luck with your project!

Roy Beers
I heartily agree - the nearest I can think of for Latino subjects is some probably very hard to find troops for the Spanish-American War of 1898.
I asked Strelets a while back if they would consider doing Villistas, but at that time it didn't figure in their plans.
I have a substantial number of metal Jacklex figures (which are superb) from that firm's Punitive Expedition range (much of which is eminently suitable for the Mexican Revolution), and have considered trying to add plastic figures to it, or even conversions, but when you consider the splendid job Strelets has done with idiosyncratic figures like Bashi-Bazouks and Ukrainians it's a shame they do not do a few sets of Mexicans for 1910-20,
Many WW1 figures from various plastic ranges are usable or convertible for troops in peaked caps and I have a contingent of Jacklex 1904 Japanese cavalry for use as early-war Federale cavalry (they have the right shako, and a paint job makes them Mexican) ... but it needs more: dinamateros (dynamite bombardiers, who were often small boys), soldaderos women fighters, peasants with machetes, Villista cavalry - etc.
The other periods you mention are also interesting - Jacklex has a new Mexican range for the Maximilian period (including Belgians!) which could be put to many different uses - but I'd argue the Mexrev would sell well. Models2U does an Alamo accessories pack which includes a satisfyingly large selection of plastic cactii ...but we need some more vaqueros to bring it to life.
Models2U does an Alamo accessories

Unfortunately, the saguaro cacti portrayed in that set don't grow anywhere near the Alamo (they're Arizona plants) and wouldn't work for the Pershing expedition for the same reason.

The cactus sets from Pegasus -- pr1ckly pear and ocotillo -- will serve much more accurately, and you can also use them in South America and in the Mediterranean and the Mahgreb, to which they spread from the Americas (my models turn up in Tunisia for WW2 battles).