Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
WoSS French dragoons in attack

Now first things first, these are very nice figures as such. That said, the sprue follows very much the line of the previously released sets like WoSS British cavalry, French Horse Grenadiers etc. These boxes contain a good mixture of attacking and advancing poses which is perfectly fine.

However, if a set claims to specifically depict a certain action like "in attack" or "on the march", I think you might expect something a bit different. Out of the twelve poses only four or five deserve to be called "in attack", the rest is rather "in advance". It's criticism on a very high level, I know, but I would have preferred a few more dynamic poses here (or another title for the box ...). Perhaps something to consider for future releases. The Dragoons on the march set on the other hand contains exactly what it means to show.

Look at those folks:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Battle_of_Blenheim_%281704%29%4001.JPG

Re: WoSS French dragoons in attack

I agree, but only to a limited extent Flambeau. The French Dragoons in Attack set just about allows two ranks of 'attacking' dragoons, with the second rank in distinctly less 'aggressive' poses than the first.

However, the biggest give-away is perhaps that the horses are ambling along in a distinctly 'on the march' way, rather than cantering....'charging' might be a bit too much to expect of a relatively small dragoon mount, at least in French service at this time.

However: The great thing now about the Strelets WoSS range is that there are an increasing number of horses, which allows some mixing and matching between sets. This takes a bit of thinking through, and a little modification, but allows the option of creating units which are not literally 'out of the box'.

Incidentally, I am unable to open the link to the artwork.

Re: WoSS French dragoons in attack

As I said my complaint may be a bit over critical :wink: and for a set not specifically labelled "in attack" (as the British cavalry) it would be inapropriate. I just thought it could have been a bit more dynamic - compare it for instance to the old Saxon Garde du Corps (which may have been a bit too dramatic, but ...)
The link was to John Wootton's painting of Blenheim thete are French dragoons on horseback on the left of the picture. You can easily google it.