Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Highlander Range (Napoleonic) + latest box art...?!

Roger W
Yes the picture on the box is dreadful.
Call that a square??!!!! Not exactly inspiring box art is it?!!

The flag is also of a different regiment to those of the men it would seem! Their facings are a different colour.

The WSS range has quite often shown Strelets best work, in terms of box & obviously its contents.
The Napoleonic range however has become its poor cousin in comparison!
Yes, the flag is wrong for this depleted square of brave highlanders (it is for the 92nd Gordons, not the 42nd Black Watch). This is not just a 'nerdy' observation...some, including younger modellers, will use the box as a reference and this reference is, unfortunately, wrong.

Will those two armoured men (OK, with a couple more in the distance) armed with long, beautifully balanced heavy cavalry sabres finish them off we wonder? The man out in the open by himself seems to be doomed already.

A shame that so much time has been lavished on three battalions of highlanders, with so little given to eight battalions of Brunswickers

Fair point.

I like & will be buying the highlander firing & "in square" sets, albeit they have their problems. But they are still an improvment on the very poor British Firing line set.

That said, if there were also sets of regular British infantry & Brunswickers in square, they would be much more of a priority to me.
Maybe even a set of Kruse's Nassauers in square too.

Im sorry but i thought there was 4 kilted battalions at waterloo?? Or am i wrong?

I believe Wellington had 4 kilted battalions under his command but the Perthshire Buffs were kept back in reserve to cover a possible retreat and so were not present at Waterloo.

There was 3 battalions at Waterloo. The 42nd Royal Highland/"Black Watch", the 79th "Cameron" highlanders & the 92nd "Gordon" Highlanders.

The 78th "Ross-shire Buffs" were on garrison duty at Nieuport. So therefore were not involved in any of the fighting at Quatre Bras or Waterloo.

These were the only regiments to retain proper highland dress (kilts, feather bonnets etc). Other "highland" regiments by this time, had the same uniform as the rest of the line regiments.