Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Civil war troops

A fine display of wargames-style ACW figures. Well done!

I am with Chris in remarking on the striking but rather-too-large flags. A little tattered and battle-stained would look more authentic, and the troops could do with a bit of 'grime'. But overall, very good and very inspiring!

Great job! Real eye candy. Thanks for sharing.

Wow! Excellent work all the way around. I especially like seeing how you used soldiers from all manufacturers all the way back to the original Airfix days. And then painting them and setting them up in battle scenes really shows a time-line in history of our hobby concerning ACW.

Again, "Well done and thank you for sharing!" GC

These are veritable wargaming armies well displayed.
To achieve contrast with the Union uniform is very hard to achieve, nowhere to go with dark blue. However the detailing with the buttons etc is very good. By contrast the rag tag and bobtail uniforms and apparel worn by the Confederates is exceptional. There has been a lot of thought gone into the different coloured clothing. However I do agree with Chris that making the figures look a little careworn can give them a bit more battlefield cred. Sometimes it's a case of a colourwash to come up with the desired effect. Although after painting crisp and clear detailing such as a Napoleonic figure there may then be a marked reluctance to blur the lines to give a more realistic effect.
In the end its personal preference and I can only applaud the work that has gone into these figures.
Thank you for sharing them with us!...

Dear Igor,

Another brilliant contribution. I really like your painting and basing of these figures, particularly the 'in combat' base—a truly novel and clever approach. Everyone has different style. The clean style of your figures is a classic approach that is most pleasing to the eye.

It would be marvellous to see these figures in a game, so I hope that you might send a contribution to that effect in the future.

I join with the others above in saying thanks for your contribution!

Regards, James

Some very nice work with a great mix of figures in there! Really enjoyed looking through all the pictures!

I can see what some are saying about them maybe being a little too "bright" perhaps, but I guess it depends what you are going for & personal preference. A "weathered" look is certainly realistic, I too use washes for my figures & models most of the time. But I also like the colourful nature of these figures too.

Theres also the case of whether someone is confident in using washes. If someone is interested in the method but a little unsure how to proceed, I always say pick a few figures you are not that worried about at the start of a project, paint them up to a reasonable standard, (no need for anything drastic when its just a test), then do a trial run. That way you haven't ruined your hard work.

As to the flags, yes some do indeed seem way too big for the scale of the figures. Just something to bare in mind.

Very pleased to see these as I've been gifted some old ones that I am rushing to give a make over to ahead of Friday night's game. They've been languishing in boxes for about ten year and the paint had flaked badly on many, and some of the guns are useless, being those ridiculously tiny pieces produced by Imex way back in 1993. There is definitely a need for a really good ACW artillery set to be made!