Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ACW 1/72 Irish Brigade ,Union anyone

Just looking at Hannants future releases, and what a surprise Ultimate ratio have an ACW set on the way, the figures look quite good , but no close ups to tell for sure.

Re: ACW 1/72 Irish Brigade ,Union anyone

There's a shot of the box, sprues and the figures on Benno's forum. Two flag bearers, one officer, one drummer and 30 infantry in greatcoats, including a casualty pose. Irish Brigade at Fredericksburg.

Some good looking figures from Ultima Ratio again. Excellent choice of an often requested ACW topic. :+1:
2 days ago this was already shown at Bennos.

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25121

Well it was real time news to me:innocent: :joy:

Alan Buckingham
And to me - thanks Alan for letting us know.

Sandy
Alan Buckingham
And to me - thanks Alan for letting us know.
...and to PSR it would seem.

great looking set! hope they make some more ACW!!!!

Ultima Ratio have already made some very good sets, and this one looks equally good.

Well done to Ultima Ratio for surprising us with this niche set. Hopefully they maintain balance by producing some niche set on Confederates' side. Moreover while on this period they may consider surprising us by doing some sets re Mexican Revolution, Emperor Maximillian and later period of Pancho Villa. Of course our beloved Strelets are most welcome to consider covering this Emilio Zapata period. Some little men with sombreros, especially on horseback, will be most welcome.

A nice surprise! Thanks Alan for letting us know.

Great looking figures.I can already hear PSR moaning about the decorated flags but I like them that way.
Tragically the confederates waiting for the Irish brigade at Fredericksburg were another unit of Irishmen.

Looking forward to this set; they look compatible with what's already available. That's always a deal breaker for me. Also, thanks for two flag bearers - one for regimental flag and another for color bearer. Debating how many I need though. Troops in overcoats have been rare in plastic. I'm not worried about engraved flags; that's why we have x-acto knives or paint for.

I read on the Miniatures Page not that long ago that story had been debunked and the Union Irish did not face Confederate Irish - was a fictional portrayal in "Gods and Generals". Whatever.

There were many Irishmen in Confederate service along the Sunken Road at Marye's Heights during the Battle of Fredericksburg, including a unit (Cobb's Legion) made up predominantly of Irish commanded by Colonel (his promotion to Brigadier General may or may not have been confirmed) Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb, brother of Howell Cobb. Colonel Cobb died of wounds sustained in the battle.

It's been awhile, but I recall the story of opposing Irishmen being detailed in both Catton's and Foote's accounts of the battle - that's not saying some theatrical license might not have been taken in the making of the movie. I am not sure there was an exact counterpart to the Union Irish Brigade in the Confederate Army. The existence of the Union Irish Brigade came about as the result of a unique set of circumstances political, personal, and cultural, largely due to the efforts of one man, Thomas Meagher who made it happen. However there were numerous Irishmen in the ranks of both Armies and many were behind the stone wall at Marye's heights. To see their fellow countrymen mowed down (and they were doing the mowing) must have hit the very hearts of those Irish in butternut and gray. But such was the nature of that war. I am reminded of the 1st Union Maryland Regiment facing off across the road from the 1st Confederate Maryland Regiment at Sharpsburg and each blasting each other at point blank range at men who had been friends and neighbors before the War; neither side wanting to be the first to blink.

I hope this helps clear the confusion of the scene in the movie. I felt it captured the tragedy and pathos of the bloodbath well.

I believe the 24th Georgia, led by Thomas Cobb and sometimes called "Cobb's Legion", as Wayne has pointed out, was in the Confederate line at the stone wall below Marye's Heights that day. The unit had a high proportion of Irishmen in its ranks. About 20,000 Irish volunteers fought for the Confederacy during the war. About 120-140,000 fought for the Union.

Ian and Wayne - thanks for the information.

*SIGH!* Nice set, but you can NOT make a set of Union soldiers in gray plastic! It is just never done, even by the cheapo soldier companies. Sure "all silver all the time" Italeri did it, but eventually made Union in light blue & Confederate in gray. & yes, HAT made Union Zouaves in gray, but they could be used as Confederates, plus, thanks to Kent Sprecher, blue sets were available. Oh well, they'll look nice in my Confrdrtate army.

I paint figures so plastic colour doesnt bother me. In fact the more neutral the better.
But for those who dont paint, I can understand the frustration.