Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Highlander Firing Line

Thanks, Strelets, for posting the figures for the new Highlander Firing Line set.

IMHO this looks like a marked improvement on the British Firing Line set, with firing and loading poses which look generally better. The lack of sporrans marks this as a Napoleonic set (not Crimean 'Thin Red Line'), and although the bonnets still look a little small, the overall look to me is very good. Although I'm guessing that the same musket former may have been used by the sculptor as for the British FL set, the addition of good fixed bayonets makes these firearms look about right.

However: It is clear from both this set and the British FL set that it is very dangerous to be an officer/ensign/serjeant/musician in either 'unit'. The BFL set has three of these figures, of which two are casualties. This Highlander set has four, and of these three are casualties/have just become so (the Piper unkindly shot down whilst playing 'Flower of Scotland' one too many times ...a case of 'friendly fire' from a neighbouring English square perhaps??)

Whilst putting these figures in is great from a diorama-builders viewpoint, and indeed is useful to wargamers who need casualty markers, it does leave both Firing Line sets rather short of anything that can make up a 'command group' still capable of 'commanding'.

The solution is an easy one: two more sets, one of British late Napoleonic infantry, one of Highlanders. Both sets to include a full and healthy complement of officer/ensign/serjeant and drummer, kneeling rank and file, and a selection of flank (Grenadier and Light) company men in both standing and kneeling poses. British Infantry in Defence; and Highlanders in Defence.

Re: Highlander Firing Line

Hi Minuteman,

I have to agree they are really nice figures as for your point of "Fit for Duty" command figures perhaps Strelets could do a single box of command figures with both mounted and dismounted figures for each of the firing lines. They could boost it up with some pioneers and second flag bearers without poles which could then be added to already produced British sets. I think this option would sell really well.

What do you think?

bfn

Allan

I fully expect to swap out command figures from other Highland sets so there are healthy and stricken figures depending on the desired effect. I wonder whether that was the intent in rectifying the absence of casualties in other sets. In either case - kudos for filling a needed gap.

Hi,
Finally amazing to see action figures.
Please bring them all, Austrian, Russian, Prussian line and Landwher, with or without greatcoats.
Fire them all!
If you have time and energy, don't forget cavalry and artillery.
Good night and see you for the Friday treat.
CPN

aw, the poor piper?

fabulous sculptures though.

Agree with everything Mark has said.
Theses highlanders are a big improvment on the British firing line. Still the muskets look too short but they do have very good bayonets attached thankfully, plus the poses look better.

Just makes the British infantry set all the more painful to look at!!

I'll keep my comment on this set very short:

Wonderful... :heart_eyes:

I'll definitely buy more than just one box ... :wink:

A fine set of highlanders nice poses plus a number of casualties. Perhaps the sculptor is a music critic. I don't particularly like painting tartan I find it a lot more time consuming than trousers,still what I gain on the bayonets probably balances out. Although I am sure I have a number of Strelets highlanders in the attic. I am not sure the older type sculpting style sits well with the new. In either event I shall give this set a go.like other contributors to the forum I would urge for more firing poses, still that's more sets to look forward too.
Many thanks...