Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Friday Special Edition

Dear Strelets,

Yes, thank you for the follow-up posting of the Highlanders. I like all of them and especially seeing all have bayonets attached.

These plus all the other masters including the casualty poses are making up a great looking theme.

It was in elementary school on a rainy day I headed to the library and discovered the famous painting "The Battle of Waterloo" by Felix Philippoteaux for the first time. This painting with those scarlet red uniforms and lots of action were one of my first life-long influences in military history.

And now I'll be able to recreate this famous battle/painting scene in 1/72 - my favorite. My friends always said I had a very good imagination and all of these poses will find places in my British squares - looking good!

GC

One of my "magical" history moments came in the 6th Grade when our Music Teacher, Mr Watson set us down for a filmstrip of the Campaign in Russia 1812. Some of you who are old enough to remember the old filmstrips - an early version of "powerpoint." They weren't as good as movies but better than sitting in class laboring over worksheets or listening to the teachers.

Most were composed of a few lines of text with a picture illustrating what the text was saying. Of course, I always liked the History strips. The teacher would manually roll the strip through the filmstrip projector with a little handle while reading or having students read the text.

Every so often there would be a special strip though with sound provided by a (now) old phongraph record that would play a soundtrack. A narrator would read the script while the teacher would turn the strip. A little beep at the right time on the record would tell the teacher when it was time to turn to the next picture.

The 1812 filmstrip was one of those types of filmstrips; only, instead of words, the soundtrack consisted of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" playing while pictures of the classical artwork depicting the campaign were displayed on the screen. Twelve year-old me was mesmerized by both the images on the screen and the power of the music as I realized Tchaikovsky's music was actually telling the story of the terrible campaign. It not only reinforced my love of history (particularly military history), but also my love of art and appreciation of Classical Music. The Overture remains one of my favorite pieces of music and to this day I can't hear it without thinking of those paintings by David and others showing the story of the music.

When I became a teacher during my second career I looked all over for the twenty years I spent in the classroom for that filmstrip presentation or something like it in a more modern format to share with "my" kids. I never found it. It was a disappointment.

I think this diorama can very well be that type of experience for a youngster; I hope it is. I wish to thank all of you for not only taking of your time and efforts to participate in this labor of love - but also for sharing the journey with those of us fellow lovers of history and the little guys who tell the story.

What a lucky man...
That amazing view. Enjoy.

I have had the greatest pleasure at seeing this 1st hand today, its even better in real life than it is in photos. I was awe struck by its immense care to detail in both figures and landscape,buildings. If it goes on display again next year ill be there to see it again.
Absolutley spectacular!!!
Keep the great work going.

'Lucky man' P.J.! Your description is as I'd expect, having followed the development of this wonderful diorama on James' blog.

There's nothing like the real thing when it comes to dioramas (or wargames!), but a trip to Londinium is not in the offing (even post restrictions), so I'll content myself with the photographic version. Hopefully all those in a position to go to see it will. It has been a magnificent labour of love and dedication, initially by one person, more recently with input from many. Even more amazing, when one considers that there is more to come!

Regards, James

I'm very grateful to Strelets not only for this post but also for the chance to meet Mr Strelets himself at the NAM. The support of the company during this project has been outstanding, as has the advice, help and kindness of forum members. Very many thanks indeed to you all.

Phase 2 will begin once I've recharged my batteries - the French cavalry charges onto the British squares. Just to show we haven't been idle here are some squares already finished and some cavalry:

Most impressive! The squares look formidable, as do the long ranks of cavalry. I'm looking forward to Phase 2 of this spectacular project.

I never get tired of seeing these wonderfully made squares!! Using the teddy bear fur was a master stroke too!!!

Hopefully Strelets uses them as inspiration for producing more dedicated "in square sets" for Napoleonic infantry!

Regular British line infantry, Brunswickers, Kruse's Nassauers, maybe even some of the green tunic Hannoverian field battalions?

I would certainly say General that you & your team have worked so hard on this project, especially getting it ready in time for the NAM exhibition, that nobody would blame you all for taking a breather & recharging the batteries!!

Well done General Picton & the whole team of helpers.

General, you have covered yourself, and your men, with glory.

I echo the others' congratulations. Most impressive.