Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Windsor and Newton Matt Medium

The purpose of acrylic medium is to thin acrylic paint (artists don't use water). Which means that if it weren't for the fixative in your paint, coating with medium would be more likely to remove paint than protect it.

Re: Windsor and Newton Matt Medium

Steve Pickstock
Bob Richman
Accidentally bought Matt medium instead of Matt varnish to seal/protect painted figures. Is Matt medium also good as a protective coat?

Thx,

Bob
As Minuteman said, it is isn't much use as a protective layer.

But it has its uses all the same.

I use the same brand of medium and make my own 'dirty' wash. I wanted something that was darker than a brown wash, but not as harsh as a black wash.

Mix the matt medium 50/50 with water and add a couple of drops each of Brown Ink, Black ink and odourless washing up liquid (to break down the surface tensions in the various liquids).

I used it on these white horses to shade them before I dry-brushed them with cream and white.

I misted the wash onto the undercoated models, using a little spray bottle, before leaving them to dry over-night.

I probably could have used them as they are but took it that extra stage further.

I'll give this a go, Steve.

It looks like an interesting idea.

donald