Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
My ACW Artillery- Experiment

Hi there,
the ACW is actually an era that interests me a lot, but so far I haven't painted a few ACW figures.
Last winter, when I had a lot of time (Corona phase), I looked through various websites about the ACW artillery. And I had to find out that there is actually no correct set of ACW artillery in 1:72. Parts of the existing sets are good, but the "real great one" is missing..

So I tried to built "my own" ACW-Arty.
Therefore i bought some guns from SPEIRA-Sweden. And build some other gun barrels myself and copied them.
Other parts and wheels from other sets where glued together for ammunition card, forge wagon etc...

And there are still some STRELETS-gunners in the Batteries.. :thinking_face:

This is the result of that experiment:

Union:

Confeds:

Re: My ACW Artillery- Experiment

Gentlemen... I must bow before your works of painting and creation of dioramas ... mine is full admiration. Well done everyone. Bravo Gerd, bravo Pascal...

Great diorama! I have used many of the same figures myself to "Flesh out" my crews - your painting and construction of caissons and limbers far exceeds my efforts. Great job!

Magnificent work, Gerd ! Great modelling, painting and photography.

Will you be posting these and more, plus further notes, on Bennos perhaps?

Outstanding , Gerd 10/10 does not begin to do it justice.

Thank you all...

Do you now what the main Barrels of the 10pd-Parrots are made of ?

Tubes of ear cleaning swabs... :grin:

Cant find better material.. :yum:

But the CSA-Whitworth breech-loader guns are from SPEIRA.
very accurate and detailed...wonderful material.. :+1:

Very nice indeed and super photography.

The Airfix horses look good but all artillery trains ie foot or horse were managed by riders.

Nice to see a cassion and battery wagon conversion in the mix.

Adkins Gettysburg Companion is an excellent source regarding positions of equipment and crews.

Keep up the splendid work.

Best wishes,

Chris

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your praise.

Yes, you are right according the train-riders..
I already know that I actually need a rider for every pair of horses on the artillery trains. But the Airfix horses are 1:76 and therefore very narrow .... That is why all the rider figures in 1:72 that I tried for this always fell off the horse. And you could see from them that they actually belong on bigger horses. That always looked a bit inappropriate ..like giants on a donkey..

Whenever STRELETS brings out an ACW set with artillery limbs, I'll get a couple of suitable riders there. :wink:

And they've already surprised us with the craziest sets we thought would never be produced. :smile:

The composition of guns and limbers in the diorama is not realistic or historical accurate..
Because in reality the limbers were placed 25 - 30 meters behind the guns. And behind a cover, if possible.. But how should i place this equipment in a space of only 30 x 25 cm ?
I know it is not correct...but forgive me...i dint have enough space to place a whole Battery in the correct dimensions :disappointed_relieved:

Hi Gerd,

Apologies, I was not criticising your lovely work.

I have used the Revell limbers as I found them better than the Imex ones.

Riders can be fashioned from the Italieri US cavalry set.

I see that you have changed the handles which is a nice touch too.

I replaced the limber lids with balsa which works well.

Best wishes,

Chris

These are wonderfully evocative and while it's not my era, I love looking at the figures to see what you have done with them.

Superb painting! Well done indeed!

Dear Gerd,

Both your historical accuracy and painting color uniform choices are outstanding. Thank you for sharing your hard work and story how you did it. So much fun to spend my free time enjoying it!

GC

I echo what others said - excellent and creative work.

Chris, Gerd, if you look closely, the third outrider is there. He gained permission to travel on the limber after receiving his wound.:wink:

Chris, what is the difference between the Revell and the Imex limbers?

Regards, Pa

Hi,

The Imex limbers are too small and box like.

I converted my limbers from Revell and made the Itallieri non sense into casssions.

The techniques are to be found here.

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22713

Best wishes,

Chris

Hello Chris,

many thanks for the reply and the link to your phantastic thread on Benno's, gives me lots to drool over.

Best regards, Pa

Hello Chris,

yesterday I spent two hours looking through your great documentation about your "Battle of Antietam"-diorama at bennosfigures-Forum.

Really another great project ... and your garage is once again the "crime scene" .... really wonderful work .....

PS: My "field marshal" would never let me have the garage.. :dizzy_face: :rage: