Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WW2 Tommies

Just visit Google

Given the hobby has always had such a strong customer base in the U. K. I feel it ironical what has been produced as British troops.

Look at the early Airfix sets. ACW Grenadiers, all hunchbacked. Waterloo Infantry, odd poses. WW1 Infantry, wrong webbing. WW2 Infantry, skin-tight trousers. Paratroopers, dreadful all round. Commando Set Version 1, oh dear. Infantry Combat Group, what are these kids meant to represent? In Roger's post there are further unhonorable mentions from more recent times.

Still, I have a soft sport for those sets because I grew up with them. That said, I agree there is a market for a good set of WW2 British Infantry, starting with a full set of 1940 BEF. Regards, Pa

It would seem our wishes for a set of Brit heavy weapons is about to be partially met by PSC as they have announced on Facebook they have a set for the western desert in the works. They look like a good start, but there are plenty of other Brit sets that would be welcomed.

Will I ever see any full sets (Zvezda 4 man sets nice but very limited) of BEF ?

Before anyone mentioned the Hat BEF set its a case of 'action not words' or rather no action for a very long time!!!!

As for the PSC sets are the figures in house or licenced and what size are they? The lastest imported Ultracast figures have not impressed Plastic soldier review. Look for yourself.

Time that the BEF along with the 'forgotten army' are no longer forgotten!

PS Australians in the right scale rather than the Revell and Matchbox midgets (if we are still allowed to use the phrase?) would also be welcome.

I agree that the BEF really do need to be tackled along with some better Australians.

As for another companys planned BEF set, I think the best course of action for someone who wants to build their army, would be to plan on the assumption that the other companys BEF set won't see the light of day, so lobbying someone like Strelets to make them instead would be a better move.

If the other company's set does appear, & its of good quality......take it as an added bonus!

Richard
Hi all
just a few thoughts beyond the desert theatre, as I'm nearing the end of reworking my units.
I'm looking at late war Europe, possibly including Italy.
Going over the sets, both available and long gone of British Infantry I find shortcomings in all of them! The Germans have been done to death in endless varieties.
However, the main problem for my Brits is the lack of heavy weapons. Matchbox? Out of production, too small but did at least make an attempt at heavy weapons! Airfix? No heavy weapons in any of their sets! Long Atlantic/Nexus - the less said the better!
Caeser? Nice figures but no heavy weapons!
Revell? Out of production and limited heavy weapons.
Plastic Soldier Company, now that's an interesting one. Despite some oddities thew figures are generally quite good. The Germans got a heavy weapons set, even the Russians but not our Brits!
There's a common theme here!!
Yes, I know Hat produce Mortar and machine gun sets, but the these don't always mesh with figures from other manufacturers...........
So, it's perhaps unlikey but maybe Strelets could consider filling this gap? I'd like to see a good set of late war British Tommies with a good balance of small arms, not too many sub machine gunners - I always seem to end without enough of riflemen.
This set could be complemented by matching heavy weapons set, with machine guns, mortars, flamethrowers, Piats, radio operators etc. After all everybody else gets heavy weapons sets so why not us Brits?
It seems to me to be a big gap in the market and I for one would buy a great many sets - by the way please give your figures bases - I've just received my latest WW2 releases and the IJA in defense have some figures without bases which seems rather odd - I wonder why?
Personally, excepting prone figures, I think bases are better!
Well that's it for now, stay safe folks
and Carry on Collectin!
Richard
Hi again
As for Mars I've got some of their sets but overall I'm not impressed with them. I could be wrong but offhand I don't recall them making any British sets for any period?
Perhaps they don't know Britain exists?!
Re Plastic Soldier Company, having a quick look at their website I find no mention of British Heavy Weapons. However, they do 15mm heavy Weapons so why not 20mm? Stranger and stranger. They seem to have given up on producing original figures.
From what I've seen and read on Plastic Soldier Review I'm not impressed with the licensed figures and I don't see myself getting them.
I've had some metal figures in the past from Skytrex and Raventhorpe but they're not very satisfactory as they require painting and don't mix well with my plastics. Raventhorpe once did a Dad's Army set which I have but apparently they had to rename it Home Guard due to copyright issues. However, I digress.
WW2 is one of the most popular periods and Britain was a major player throughout the conflict in most theatres. Therefore it seems largely incomprehensible to me that infantry and heavy weapons are so under represented.
Given the popularity of WW2 wargames and models I should have thought that a good range of Tommies and heavy weapons would be good sellers.
I'll have another look at the Hat sets but again I think there will be various shortcomings for my particular needs.
So Strelets, how about filling this glaringly obvious gap in the market - why should Britain be neglected? It seems to me that you may be missing a trick!
As I grew up with Airfix soldiers at 2 shillings a box (showing my age now - 67 tomorrow! Horrors!!)
I never thought I'd see Goumiers, apart from a memorable colour photo in Purnells History of WW2, and all these Russians - the Airfix ones at least had heavy weapons - Hungarians, Rumanians and even German Police battalions. Somehow, Britain got sidelined and left behind it seems to me.
Looking at the other posts it seems to me that there's a strong demand for good British infantry and heavy weapon sets so I await with bated breath - I wonder if I'll see them in my lifetime?
Keep your thoughts coming and stay safe folks!
Richard

Dear Richard,

may we congratulate you with your birthday and wish you many years and figure sets to come.
Happy Birthday to you!

Best regards,

Strelets

PS We see the merits of your case and suggest you to follow this forum for news.

Re: WW2 Tommies—plus First World War limeys and Commonwealth

Dear Richard,

"I don't recall them making any British sets for any period?"

Not Second World War, but Mars do make a lovely set of 1/32 Napoleonic British Infantry (albeit flank cos) and 1/32. I have all of their Second World War figs., in 1/32, and like them a lot. They have made Americans recently, so perhaps British are on the way?

As ever Strelets' replies to questions are direct and helpful. The above response to you sounds most promising.

There is also a dearth of British/Commonwealth/Dominion infantry for the First World War. The Hat Canadians are probably the best of those available, but are currently out of production with no indication of a re-release. Even if such an event occurs after their coming release (whenever that happens), it clearly won't be until well into 2022 (at best). Regardless, there is scope for an improved/different set of these important troops.

Hopefully Strelets will add some British/Commonwealth/Dominion Great War types to their rapid and top-quality production line—action sets like the recent French/Polish and also a behind the lines one like the French and German one (in prep.) would be just beaut.

Regards, James

hope your right james there was talk of a gallipoli set not happened yet we live in hope i would like to see royal marines 1914 or scots 1914 with glengarrys or bonnets or any commonwealth early war sets aussies in slouch hats or kiwis in lemon squeezers

Some idea`s 3in mortar full crew , 4 in mortar full crew , Bren prone firing with a number two spare magazine in hand. As the war progressed British troops got more automatic weapons for the most part that meant stens in one mark or another. Commando`s used Thompsons, but also Vickers k guns adapted for the infantry role. The Turtle helmet was increasingly in use and the MK 4 lee Enfield rifle was almost exclusive in use as the rifle for commonwealth forces in NWE. Bayonets were fixed when advancing and contact with the enemy expected . Brits often as today carried a lot of kit and ammo in combat, Vickers medium machine guns had a three man crew , they had to carry the gun, ammo, and water as well as personal kit, this cannot be done by one man ...as one or two resent sets would suggest. The list of potential sets is mind boggling for the subject, infantry advancing, in close combat, medical, engineers, heavy weapons mortars , HW machine guns etc etc.

Alan Buckingham
Some idea`s 3in mortar full crew , 4 in mortar full crew , Bren prone firing with a number two spare magazine in hand. As the war progressed British troops got more automatic weapons for the most part that meant stens in one mark or another. Commando`s used Thompsons, but also Vickers k guns adapted for the infantry role. The Turtle helmet was increasingly in use and the MK 4 lee Enfield rifle was almost exclusive in use as the rifle for commonwealth forces in NWE. Bayonets were fixed when advancing and contact with the enemy expected . Brits often as today carried a lot of kit and ammo in combat, Vickers medium machine guns had a three man crew , they had to carry the gun, ammo, and water as well as personal kit, this cannot be done by one man ...as one or two resent sets would suggest. The list of potential sets is mind boggling for the subject, infantry advancing, in close combat, medical, engineers, heavy weapons mortars , HW machine guns etc etc.
Many thanks to Strelets for birthday wishes even though I don't celebrate them as I get older!
Even more thanks for taking note of posts re British Tommies! It's good to know that some companies and people do actually listen to customer feedback.
Sounds like promising hints for the hopefully not too distant future!!
Looks like I've started something, how about keeping the ball rolling folks?
Nobody can please everybody all the time but Strelets has a **** good try so hats and helmets off for the Strelets team.
They're always raising the bar and setting new standards of sculping, moulding and accuracy in spite of occasional slips, but nobody's perfect.

It certainly looks like there's a much neglected market for British Infantry and Heavy Weapons sets.
Who knows what we'll see in future? I don't have a crystal ball but I always welcome new developments even in areas and periods I'm not really into.
So, come on let's hear it for the Tommies if we want to see them folks!!
Best wishes to all
Richard

Re: WW2 Tommies - wish comes true !

Hi guys,

It seems Mars is going to produce some.

See bennos forum link below:
http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23732&p=275963#p275963

I am really looking forward. Usually it takes about 4 months.
Cheers
CPN