Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
British Infantryman vs Mahdist Warrior (Possible future S*R Production)

Dear Strelets,

Right below I have included a link to a new publication by Osprey. Because you have done such a fine job of making the BRITISH vs BOERS (Boer War) sets and FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION vs ARABS sets (RIF War), I'm hoping you could/would continue your Africa British Colonial conflicts with some of the figures in the book:

https://ospreypublishing.com/store/military-history/period-books/19th-century/british-infantryman-vs-mahdist-warrior

Why you wonder?

First, because you have already made Camels, so you could easily add British Camelry in Blue color (Gordon Pasha Relief Expedition), and Mahdist Camelry (and horse) in Terracotta color.

Second, a couple of British sets with the great looking Neck Curtain on their Sun Helmets and in Long Firing Lines repelling the Mahdists.

Thirdly, a collection of Foot and Mounted Mahdists in Terracotta color similar to your RIF Arabs and Lawrence of Arabia Arabs would be so fine!

Fourthly, you already have Colonial British Artillery which would work perfectly.

Fifthly, many Collectors have been hoping for Baggage Camels, and all you need to finish this are a selection of Baggage to mount on your camels.

In Summary, you are already half way there with pre-made Camels and British Artillery, so adding updated British Infantry like in the new Osprey Book, and a new line of Mahdists would be an attractive Add-on Campaign for you.

P.S. With all due respect, the other companies British and Mahdists are not nicely sculpted, don't have enough selection of poses in each set, don't match each other in scale, and lack your sculptors skills at making handsome soldiers. Again, with all due respect, that line never lived up to all the hype it had claimed. There is opportunity here! :dromedary_camel: :camel: :palm_tree: :earth_africa: :snowman_without_snow: (What, snowmen in the desert?)

Re: British Infantryman vs Mahdist Warrior (Possible future S*R Production)

This obviously gets my vote, the late Sudan/Omdurman has not been done in the hobby by anyone.

Dont forget a set or two of Egyptian and Sudanese in pullovers.

Or the earlier white uniform.

Alan, these sets would certainly be "deserty" so maybe we've got some hope!

Pat, maybe we can "bait" the Strelets Team with a little encouragement for some basic sets, and then yes, I too would love to see expansion into Egytian sets also. Right now, I'm using Strelets Turks as Egyptians, but it would be great to have some dedicated sets - Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry. I do love those fezes!

Cheers guys (Tomorrow's Friday - already!)

Alan Buckingham
This obviously gets my vote, the late Sudan/Omdurman has not been done in the hobby by anyone.
I second that!

I support all the above with all my heart especially Egyptians, Sudanese and the British relief force.

This gets my vote. There are so many possibilities with this theme. Two sets were made on
this subject before. The sculpting was good, but the poses were limited (who needs four of
General Gordon?)

I would like lots of these. Particularly the Mahdists, Sudanese, and Egyptians. Might be a chance of more Camels. :)
They would add support to my superb HaT armies.