Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strelets New Moroccan Goumiers

I think the same as you when you say it is a really nice set. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.
As for their history, these mountain elite troops belonged to the French expeditionary force in Italy during WW2. They were fearful soldiers, most known for their abilities in hand-to-hand combat. Their most famous action took place in Monte Cassino against German paratroopers, but you would easily find them during the German campaign later in 1945. Such soldiers are sadly remembered as rapers and murderers of Italian civilians when Monte Cassino came to an end. Their rapes are well known in Italy, books were written about their cruelties (see "La Ciociara") and this phenomenon was renamed "Marocchinate" after their geographical provenance, Morocco (and Algeria). Still, they were brave soldiers who gave their lives for a country, France, which didn't fully accept them.

Cheers,

Ale

Ale Z.
I think the same as you when you say it is a really nice set. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it.
As for their history, these mountain elite troops belonged to the French expeditionary force in Italy during WW2. They were fearful soldiers, most known for their abilities in hand-to-hand combat. Their most famous action took place in Monte Cassino against German paratroopers, but you would easily find them during the German campaign later in 1945. Such soldiers are sadly remembered as rapers and murderers of Italian civilians when Monte Cassino came to an end. Their rapes are well known in Italy, books were written about their cruelties (see "La Ciociara") and this phenomenon was renamed "Marocchinate" after their geographical provenance, Morocco (and Algeria). Still, they were brave soldiers who gave their lives for a country, France, which didn't fully accept them.

Cheers,

Ale
I've already talked about it abundantly in a previous post... excellent subject ... it was my wish as are the Gurkas or the Highlanders for Culloden (new version) Big Strelets!!

Heres a link to a quick history of these fine chaps.

www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/mountain-warriors-wwii-goumiers.html/amp

As a French colony, Morocco came into the fighting of WW2, being part of the French army. They fought in the desert theatre in WW2, especially against Italian forces in Libya, & were also involved at El Alamein. They were part of the invasion of Italy once the Axis forces were pushed out of North Africa. They fought in Elba & Corsica as part of that campaign.
They also went on to the liberation of France.

They were brave & excellent fighting men. They were especially utilised in mountainous terrain.

As mentioned above, they're time in Italy is not without controversy. But it is a tough topic to try talking in depth about on a forum. It would be a subject best spoke about by our Italian friends on here, who know a lot more about the truth & feelings of that time.

As previously stated, this set is an excellent addition to the French-Allied forces of WWII.
The Goumiers participated in discernible numbers in several campaigns & battles and were decisively involved in the eventual victory at Monte Cassino.

Useful for Tunisia, Sicily, Italian Mainland, Colmar, Siegfried Line (Alsace-Lorraine) & a number of other actions. More US equipment and corresponding cold weather clothing was probably common from late 1944 onwards though, most notably M1 helmets.
A head swap with Adrian helmets & some of them could be used for earlier events.

Apart from the aforementioned ‘Green Devils‘ at Monte Cassino, they fought against all kind of axis troops on these fronts.

Great looking figures for an often & long requested WWII subject, French Colonial Troops. :+1:

A fine set of figures, and an unusual subject. Well done Strelets!

Try this Movie: Indigènes(Days of Glory) the cloud version has auto generated subtitles in english...

:wink:

That was a very good movie Ironsides. The ending I felt was very poignant, though I won't spoil it for anyone here!
I've also been wanting this set for a long time, I've always felt that the French colonial forces were a big gap in WW2 1/72 plastic. The Goumiers were especially crucial in the mountainous terrain in Italy, and I believe the American commander said he couldn't have won the campaign without them.

Re: Strelets New Moroccan Goumiers (Thank you my friends!)

Wow, what magnificent responses from all of you. This was absolutely the best part of my day today reading all of your comments. Each and every one of them has enrichened my knowledge of these men, and Strelets fine sculpts.

I wanted to ask you first - my friends here on this forum - who share the common interest and passion of 1/72 soft plastic soldiers about this subject. And I was right in being confident that you would know just how to respond in the context of our common interest.

Thank you so much! GC :earth_africa: :earth_asia: and cheers :beers: