Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WSS artillery- 2 funs per box

To potentially charge the same, but for less in a box, would be an own goal by Strelets. Especially if the guns are bland detail wise.

Now, what with recent troubles, thats not totally out of the realms of reality, but I wouldn't read too much into the box contents just yet. As Flambeau says, I too have bought boxes of figures, thankfully knowing what is inside, but seen misprints on the box. I once got a set from HaT, said on the box I was supposed to have had 480 figures inside..not the 48 I knew was meant to be in there!! I wished!! Would of been a big help & saved me some money!!!
Might of been a bit squashed in that box though!!

Some of the other artillery sets out there have more guns due to the calibre being much smaller & the design more compact overall. Some have less guns due to having more men per gun instead.

EDIT:Having had another look, the price does seem a bit less than the usual, but perhaps still a lot, if the box contents is indeed true. Both boxes do indeed say 10 men & 2 guns...hmm, £7.80 would seem to be a bit steep for just 10 men & 2 bland guns, but then Linear charge a large amount for just 4 figures in a box.
So I guess in the end, its whether people are prepared to pay that price for what they get inside.

Sorry Flambeau, but Strelets shows us still only the cover-image, but Hannants the final front-cover of the box (the numbers of pieces top rigtht like on many other Strelet boxes).
And mysterious is where are you seen an eleventh man in the set - there are only 10. The front-covers are always visualisations which aren´t identical to the content of the box - for example: some napoleonic sets with mounted officers which aren´t in the box.
And Zvezda shows always its content on the backside of the box.
And Haet had shown sometimes the number of pieces (with hats, bags etc.) and not of figures.
And I agree that the calibers of the other sets of Strelets are smaller, but the WSS guns aren´t giants to explain an reduction of men and guns to a third or less.

Unfortunately I must stand corrected. I was judging by the actual picture and not the text (must have missed that, blame it upon poor eyesight ...). So the box seems indeed to offer less than the picture might promise, that's bad. Now let's just hope that they don't charge full price for that meagre content, otherwise I'll stick by my Zvedza GNW artillery.

Just edited my above post, including the price from Hannants. £7.80...so whatever that is in Euros.

According to Hannants, instead of the usual £8.99, most of the new releases will be £7.80!

An observation ,and not looking for a row. The cost of creating one figure, ie sculpting and mould making is the same for all sets. But we are likely to buy less artillery than cavalry and Infantry ,thus making the return on investment far less. So it would pay to make infantry and cavalry and not artillery as we need less on our table tops. Packing them this way, two guns and crews per box means many of us will buy more than one box ,thus making it worth while Strelets making the set.

Good point Alan.

As I said before, I guess it just comes down to what someone is prepared to pay for what they are actually getting. I personally can't fault the figures, they look great, but i'm not too impressed with the guns themselves.

Another factor involved in price v contents would be if its a set someone really needed, so thus had little option but to either go without, or pay the price for them.

That's probably very true. "Special" unit boxes like artillery or command sets will sell less than regular ones (viz. infantry and artillery). I think Zvezda's artillery sets might have been a bit more expensive at release, but that was ok, as they had a lot to offer. It's indeed a bit risky for a manufacturer to make these special sets, if they don't sell well, it can always backfire. Maybe HaT's rather simple approach (four guns, four figures) was best if you must economize. Personally I prefer Zvezda's way of doing it: Make the set so great that people just go for a shopping spree even if they don't need that many figures :slightly_smiling_face:

The later HaT artillery sets such as the 1805 French were indeed good sets, ok only 4 crew per gun but there are optional arms too. The guns themselves were far superior to their earlier small, very basic ones.
Zvezda however have to be the best artillery sets out there....big box sets that is. I have both the Napoleonic French & Russian sets & the guns are amazing, figures are great & best of all you get a limber & caission too! Yes more pricey, (& fiddly!), but you got what you paid for.

Yes, the Zvezda artillery sets were great, but let's not forget the excellent Revell sets (30YW, 7YW and British foot artillery). Ah, the good old days ...

So based on a hint I received on a comment in this forum earlier this year, I believe this set of two guns may be accompanied by a sister set with two limbers with crews in the future. If I am correct in this assertion, then the idea would be that between the two sets you would end up with two guns, two limbers, and crews for all between them.

Naturally it is up to personal preference, but I would actually prefer this to Zvezda's GNW way because each would have a limber to tow the gun. I also vastly prefer the plastic that Strelets is made out of, so looking forward to the final results!