Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: British infantry Firing Line: Sprue & post production Figures

Very true, it isnt a high profit business. Which perhaps makes it all the more important to do a good job to start with! But yes I do find it extremely unlikely the set will be redone or a 2nd set made. Really disappointing and what with other issues occuring, Strelets is starting to taint the regard I held them in.

If Strelets were to make big losses on any sets due to a lack of research, poor design decisions, poor sculpting or simply trying to rush sets out to meet demand because they have overstretched themselves, its their own fault really, and if their reputation suffers with it, again thats on them. The WSS range, is perhaps their saving grace at the moment.
I suppose its like this....if I did a bad job of keeping the grounds of a country estate neat & tidy, not once but a few times, I wouldn't of expected to get a pay rise. Far from it!!

Lets hope we do indeed see an end to these various problems occuring, but going by recent masters, I think there will be more to come, at least from this sculptor or set designer. How bad? We will see.

The majority of the issues seem to be around some Napoleonic sets. I think there haven't been any mayor complaints about WoSS (except perhaps the pikemen and the short French muskets in one set) or the Foreign Legion, Arabs, WWI or WWII sets, so there's still a large proportion of sets which are fine. No idea what may be the reason behind the issues with the Napoleonics but they should look into it, it's nothing that cannot be resolved with some better advance planning and supervision.
Just an idea: Rename the present set "British infantry in defense" show them firing from behind windows or walls at Hougoumont on the box and you have a selling argument ... :sunglasses: And if you follow up give me a job at marketing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Changing the name to something like "British at Hougoumont" or "in defense", still wouldnt change the awful muskets, or the fact that if at Hougoumont, there are definitely far too many forage caps on show for the foot guards!! Not to mention I still think they would of had bayonets fixed, at the very least for defending the wall. There are poses which just dont look right in any setting (apart from on a Pheasant shoot!).
Besides, I thought it was the light companys from the foot guards that held Hougoumont? In which case these figures have no shoulder wings. Nope, its just a poorly done set sadly.

Yes, it does seem to be the Napoleonic sets currently most effected, although the new Crimean Highlanders hasn't got that era off to a great start either, if a revisit to it is on the cards.
On the whole though, from what I can tell, the much later eras are better. The WW1 French Field Kitchen is certainly a very novel idea and a well executed set.
A reminder that Strelets can produce a great set when they put the effort in, thus making the issues with the other sets even more annoying!!

I can only hope that the French & Prussians for 1813-1815 have much, much better & accurate firing lines, if they are in the pipeline that is.

Oh well, these "Crimean" Highlanders look so very Napoleonic (apart from the sporrans) that I just counted them among as such ... and there's that.
And yes, it was the Light Companies of the Guards inside Hougoumont proper. Other companies were sent to the orchard later.

I had to look three times before I posted this and, maybe it's because I am a retired teacher who is obsessive about spelling, but.....does that new box for Thin Red Line say Thing Red Line?

It does.

😂😂 yes it does!! So don't worry, your eyes are not playing tricks on you!!

To my mind, the latest strelets production is a bit like viewing the brilliance of the Mona Lisa, but wearing a big red nose. I can’t fault the crisp sculpting, the regular issue of new figures and the pioneering of new eras, but the errors ………