Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 903 Thin Red Line

Ah Minuteman dont go ruling out the Scots!! Not only have they improved drastically, but they will be really motivated for this game!!!

England have been favourites many times before (remember playing Iceland?)!!! Still may the best team win..good luck to Wales too!!

As for these chaps im confused. Are they Napoleonic highlanders or are they Crimean, what with the 903 "Thin Red Line" title? A former Crimean set.

Roger W

As for these chaps im confused. Are they Napoleonic highlanders or are they Crimean, what with the 903 "Thin Red Line" title? A former Crimean set.
Yes, you may be right Roger, in which case the rifled musket is a much better fit for the Crimean era.

Maybe but then these weapons look similar to the ones in the British firing line set which was definately ment to be Napoleonic.....but at least these are with bayonets fixed (well done Strelets!!).

I think there is 1 or 2 poses here with a sporran as well. I dont think they wore them in Napoleonic times but ive seem images of them wearing them in the Crimea.

I suppose they're Napoleonic. Took a quick look at Highland infantry for the Crimea and it seems the bonnet was worn without the black leather peak/visor shown here. The sporrans may just be a tribute to the "classic" image of Highland infantry.

Yeah probably. Having just checked the bonnets during the Crimea they do indeed look a lot more......."fluffy"!! 😂

These are looking good I hope there will be a Napoleonic version of them in firing line mode soon with hopefully bayonets at the ready.

Oh, yes! Very nice Friday Teasers. These soldiers will be forming up on my desktop in both a Thin Red Firing Line, and also the famous British Defensive Square. Lots of action poses and with casualties. Perfectly authentic! Durn, Highlander and FFL Teasers all soon to be heading for disembarkation into history once again! Thank you Strelets Team. :slightly_smiling_face: :earth_asia:

The title 'Thin red line' seems to clearly hint at the Crimea. The previous mould appeared to have deteriorated, so they redesigned the set. A very good choice. Other companies could take a leaf out of Strelet's books.

Casualty?
I thought he was accompanying the piper.:innocent:

Flambeau
I suppose they're Napoleonic. Took a quick look at Highland infantry for the Crimea and it seems the bonnet was worn without the black leather peak/visor shown here. The sporrans may just be a tribute to the "classic" image of Highland infantry.
I'm sure all will be revealed in due course. British infantry uniforms retained a somewhat Napoleonic look well into the 19th century, although here the bonnets look a little 'small' and the packs look distinctly Napoleonic. The Piper is also without a sporran, and the pictures (photos) I've seen of Highlanders in the Crimea show very large tasselled sporrans. And then there is the musket, which looks more like a rifled musket (Minie?) than a Brown Bess. Intriguing.

No use in the desert at all. Footy comfortable England win, but unlikely to be a goal fest. These guys look good, the casualty's musket looks chunky , no silly hats please.

Well if they are for the Nappy sector then they should not have sporrons rank n file were not permitted to wear them on campain.
Other than that they look amazeing.

Sporrons and the still rather odd looking firearms aside, if indeed they are ment to be Napoleonic, its at least really good to see bayonets attached.
(Strelets, I wonder if its possible to go back and in retrospect mould bayonets to the British set? That would certainly increase its appeal. Still not the best set but an improvement sure. There have been variants of a set from other manufacturers....a pose change here and there etc. So not totally unprecidented).

But the main issue I have is.........

Can I bring myself to paint more tartan??!!!

I believe strelets told us in the earlier thread that these are intended for The Crimea:

http://pub33.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2833323740&frmid=6&msgid=1083967&cmd=show

I can see how the pics of the Scots and the talk of replacing Crimean infantry could be interpreted as being two different subjects but Strelets says that the original Scots will not be available in "that set" (singular), if the Napoleonic Highlanders were the subject that would read those sets (plural).

As with the previous set if you did sneak them into your Napoleonic army they might just look better than one or two other sets of Highlanders out there.

Strelets also says that they will be "more appropriate for a task of deflecting approaching hussars", I assume this means bayonets will be attached.

Yes the set title points to Crimea as does Strelets narrative, but the confusion comes from :

The size/style of the bonnets (Strelets got them right in the old set so know how they should look, thus makes no sense to then mess it up).

Firearms similar to the recent Napoleonic British firing line set (taking into account not the best brown bess' anyway). Thankfully there seem to be bayonets attached with these chaps at least.

And yet there are some sporrans on show..like with the Crimean era highlanders, plus as mentioned the title and narrative also pointing this way.

I just want to know for definate what era these are actually for.
Whether or not they are accurate for either era, I will leave for others to debate.
To me they look more like the are ment to be Napoleonic era, albeit with some misplaced sporrans. If they are actually Crimean....well, there might be a rather large feathery/fluffy "oops" involved!

Golly, guys! Those not "fluffy" enough bonnets is all that bothers you in case they were meant to be Crimean War Scots? Well, I think there are some markedly more characteristic features of that era which are missing ...

https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/675188169107226299/
https://www.pinterest.es/pin/325807354272883726/
https://www.pinterest.ch/pin/24629129195251268/
https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Crimean_War_1854-56_Q71634.jpg

And, hey, Roger, it's definitely "definIte(ly)", not "definAte(ly)" ...

A non native speaker of English,

Yours truly ...

:upside_down_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy:

Kunz/Opinion,

A tip for your translation: an insult delivered with smiley faces is still an insult. Get it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy: :ok_hand:

Typos occur all too easily or perhaps spelling ain't everyone's forté. Provided that the meaning is understood, does it matter in colloquial communication?

James

James Fisher

in colloquial communication?

James

I agree.

The real problem in being a 'Grammar Nazi' is that you invariably make a mistake in the massage* correcting others! I've been in that red-faced position myself.

At any rate, let's smugly laugh at a politician. This one is a favourite:

"It's unacceptable there's a loophole allowing paedophile "training manuals", that's why I want to protect children by making them illegal.
— David Cameron (@David_Cameron) April 27, 2014"

Children *should* be Illegal!!!!

cheers, donald

* did you see it?

😂😂😂👍

We were flogged and got bad marks for making ****ty mistakes like this. And then, you native speakers just give a ****? That's devastating ... :kissing_heart:

Well, I know - my English is full of mistakes but now I just give a ****, too. English has always been the language of a phony, violent pseudo-civilization; now it's just Pidgin. So, why bother? ... :hugging_face:

Roger, at least, you should have been able to improve your orthography by now, haven't you? :innocent:

Pity you gave in to peer pressure. Your criticism of certain shortcomings regarding Strelets's junk was justified, but then ... Apparently, you want to be one of them, at any price. Pity.

Well now....

You were "flogged" for making spelling mistakes, yet we are the violent ones???!!!! How many lashes did you recieve...20? 50? 100?!! 😉😁. I was a bit naughty in school but can't say I was ever given capital punishment for spelling mistakes!! Just a bad grade!! I mean jeez what happened when you got a maths sum wrong?? They Keel hauled you??!!!!

Yep your right I made a spelling mistake. I often spell definitely that way due to how most say it around my home area....making the "i" sound like an "a". I must correct myself, but when typing or writing a much more important piece of text, I generally do!

Thing about the English language is there is universal English, then there is regional here on this island. I have heard very local words & terminology all over the country that you will not find in an English dictionary!! Google translate wont have a clue!!
Then when some of these people string a sentence together with them......good luck!!! Then of course there is good old cockney rhyming slang!!
Also in the U.S, I have heard the word "across" pronounced as "acrosst"....they put a "t" on the end!!! Why? I have no idea but it is just a regional way the language is used. I still knew what they ment anyway...so no problem!!

As for giving into peer pressure....not bloody likely!!! Never have, never will. I am my own man. I do my best to get along with everyone, just because someone has a different point of view to me, doesn't make them some sort of enemy!! Sure, their point of view may feel puzzling to me, when faced with bare evidence, but I'm not going to personally attack them for it.
Reason why I have decided to leave out the criticism and not end up in a massive debate anymore is......I can't be bothered!!!! I've had enough!! I have made my points...clearly im sure most would say, and the ball is firmly in Strelets court. Mistakes have indeed been creeping in of late, and it does need to be looked at. These new highlanders if indeed they are ment for the Crimea, do seem to have the wrong headdress. Its been made clear by many in the thread. If it is indeed a mistake...yeah ok its unforgivable when Strelets made a set with the correct headdress already, so know how it should be, but now its up to them how they move forward with that knowledge. If they are Napoleonic, then yes the Sporrans are incorrect.
So whether its uniform, physique of certain animals (😉), or weaponry, the point has been made and discussed, passionately and at length. Strelets are aware, the sculptor should now be aware and they should both now be working to avoid such mistakes or confusion.
If not and they couldn't care less, well eventually it will mean Strelets reputation will drop. So it affects them, and potentially their jobs, more than me.

I do not see Strelets as the messiah nor do I see them as the anti-christ of the hobby!! I just see them as a manufacturer who have come a long way from the early days, and would hate to see them throw it all away. I have enjoyed some of their products, and there are some, like a few recent Napoleonic sets, i am DEFINITELY not a fan of!!!

Handlewithcare

Well, I know - my English is full of mistakes but now I just give a ****, too. English has always been the language of a phony, violent pseudo-civilization; now it's just Pidgin. So, why bother? ...

Never mind. You keep up your brave attempts to speak the King's English.
You're really not that bad - a trifle stilted (that's "stilted" not "Stilton" which is a type of cheese) & awkward but keep practising & you will improve. Possibly.

We native speakers are, of course, far too polite to correct you. Though I should add expletives & emoticons are perhaps to be eschewed?

A floggin'? How soft were you mob?

We wuz beaten to within a breath of our lives and then put into stocks for the rest of the school to throw rotten food at as they paraded past. For not havin' our shoes dun up proper.

Ah, the good old days, when adults could commit acts of violence on defenceless children with impunity...

James Fisher
A floggin'? How soft were you mob?

We wuz beaten to within a breath of our lives and then put into stocks for the rest of the school to throw rotten food at as they paraded past. For not havin' our shoes dun up proper.

Ah, the good old days, when adults could commit acts of violence on defenceless children with impunity...
Luxury!!
Sounds more like bloomin package holiday!!!

Now t'went I wuz but a lad, we would be hung, drawn and quarter'd, then we'd have our innurds stuft back in, be sewn back together and then told we had sweep all t'soot owt chimneys in village.

All for speck dust on't button!!!

Thats wot yer call schoolin!!

Alan Buckingham
No use in the desert at all. Footy comfortable England win, but unlikely to be a goal fest. These guys look good, the casualty's musket looks chunky , no silly hats please.
Definitely not deserty. So no camels. yet I know a few scots who have ridden on camels. e.g. MacKitchener of Khartoum, and even MacLawrence of Arabia.

Bet these guys are pleased with last night's result. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well that was 90 minutes I should of spent painting figures!!!!!

It was braw.

TheBabylonian109
Bet these guys are pleased with last night's result. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Och, yon Billy Gilmour is a wee stotter.

slainte, Dòmhnall

Re: It was braw.

Paintdog
TheBabylonian109
Bet these guys are pleased with last night\\\'s result. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Och, yon Billy Gilmour is a wee stotter.

slainte, Dòmhnall
(In a very 'English accent)

"Well really!! I can't understand a single word this north-of-the-border chap is saying...":upside_down_face: :grin:

But, well done to Scotland, a fine performance and England need to 'up their game', especially with the Germans back on form.

Now, back to more important things.....Oh yes, Wales are playing Italy today...and I am one quarter Welsh, so...

PS: In between this and other things, I am also managing to fit in some modelling today: starting on the WoSS Swiss regiment of Greder maybe, or trying to make some progress on the Elector of Bavaria's cavalry....

😂 I have no idea what a "stotter" is either Mark, but at the end of the message Donald basically signed off with a Scottish Gaelic version of "all the best" or "good health"........I think!!

The last word I assume is the Gaelic spelling of his name.

Based on the way this post has been ended and how Donald normally ends posts!!

I may be English but will be cheering on the Welsh later! (Yes I do the same for the Scots and Irish too.......except when playing us of course!! 😁).

Roger W
😂 I have no idea what a "stotter" is either Mark, but at the end of the message Donald basically signed off with a Scottish Gaelic version of "all the best" or "good health"........I think!!

The last word I assume is the Gaelic spelling of his name.

Based on the way this post has been ended and how Donald normally ends posts!!

I may be English but will be cheering on the Welsh later! (Yes I do the same for the Scots and Irish too.......except when playing us of course!! 😁).
Indeed Roger! Today it is very much a case of....

dewch ymlaen Cymru! Gadewch i ni eu dangos !!

(come on Wales! Let's show them..!!)

My apologies for inflicting a wee bit of Lallans, interlaced with some Gàidhlig (Scottish Gaelic). There may be a bit of 'The Patter' in there too.

As Roger tried to explain to the beastly Handlewithcare (above), our language is a moveable feast with not so much hide bound rules but with artistic & poetic influences to shape it, regional influences to inspire it and a flexibility unparalleled in any other speech.

donald

Paintdog
My apologies for inflicting a wee bit of Lallans, interlaced with some Gàidhlig (Scottish Gaelic). There may be a bit of 'The Patter' in there too.

As Roger tried to explain to the beastly Handlewithcare (above), our language is a moveable feast with not so much hide bound rules but with artistic & poetic influences to shape it, regional influences to inspire it and a flexibility unparalleled in any other speech.

donald
Amen to that donald.

And thank you for your poetry, urbanity and artistry too.

"the beastly Handlewithcare"

The chief propaganda tactician, together with chief shill Chimp Phisher, continuing the war against free opinion (no pun intended - :laughing: ) ...?!

Hey, "The Duck, (half an inch) Willy I Am (erected state), (Kack-) Brown"! :heart_eyes:

...also know as "Pain In The A S S Dog", or "Oink join"

Your emigration from Scotland to Oz - a win win situation!

Good for Scotland which got rid of one of the most abonimable anglophile "Scottish" bullies - and terribly good for Australia - which is now even Kack-browner than it became after the immigration of the South African apartheid skunks...

Congrats!

:+1:

Hey, Strelets!

Handlewithcare
"the beastly Handlewithcare"

The chief propaganda tactician, together with chief shill Chimp Phisher, continuing the war against free opinion (no pun intended - :laughing: ) ...?!

Hey, "The Duck, (half an inch) Willy I Am (erected state), (Kack-) Brown"! :heart_eyes:

...also know as "Pain In The A S S Dog", or "Oink join"

Your emigration from Scotland to Oz - a win win situation!

Good for Scotland which got rid of one of the most abonimable anglophile "Scottish" bullies - and terribly good for Australia - which is now even Kack-browner than it became after the immigration of the South African apartheid skunks...

Congrats!

:+1:
Can we ban this unpleasant bully?

He adds nothing to the forum. He's abusive to you & others.

donald

Permanently banned for repeated personal insults

Dear Sir,

we will be extremely obliged for not having yet another of your foul language re-incarnations on this forum.

Regards,

Strelets

Re: Permanently banned for repeated personal insults

Strelets, thats the most polite way of saying "p**s off" i've ever heard!!! 😂👍

He seems like a real life Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde!!!

If he is indeed one and the same as other previous posters (eg Mr Kunz??), then he really has a serious axe to grind, what with constantly coming back and launching into these needless attacks. You sure he wont just come back as something else??

"Fondle-with-love" perhaps??

Dear Roger W,

we've got no issue with his critiques conserning our products, however the chap goes far beyond.
We left the last comment, that broke the camel's back, to show the boundaries that comments shall not cross.
Of course, having witnessed two re-surrections under different names after initial bans, we can't guarantee that we won't see yet another.

Best regards,

Strelets

Not Mr Kunz , but Truthsayer, also known as a very well known WW2 Nazi general on Benno`s where he in the main conforms because he has to register. He has used many aliases over the years the behavior here was once common on the old Hat forum under a multitude of aliases, as our host has said he will return in a new guise, but his style is consistent so like Mr Kunz he is easy to spot once you know what to look for. He uses a multitude of IP addresses so blocking him like William Smith is tough.

So is Mr Kunz (nearly typed something else then!), a different bloke? I certainly remember that guy!!

I recognise the name "truthsayer".
But your saying he also named himself after a Nazi general on Bennos??!!!! Well....that says something!!!

Is this guy genuinely someone interested in the hobby? I dont get why he has to behave like this. Why bother? If he hates a company so deeply, just ignore it and dont buy its products!! If he doesnt like various people, dont reply to them or engage them.

Strelets..
Sensible critique is one thing. Debating anothers point of view in a mature way is also one thing. But what he was doing in the end......was neither. You have got it right 👍

Roger , I don`t know but here is my guess, he is either rather like that Steve Coogan song " a bit of a **** " or he he has some form of autism , that would explain the high level of intellect , the fastidious eye for detail, and his inability to separate a difference of opinion from a personal insult, so when someone does not agree with his point of view it` to him is insulting and personal ,so he responds in kind,or so he thinks. However on Benno`s he manages his actions far better rarely resorting to the insults he has used here and on Hat`s old forum,both to the respective host`s(although Benno`s don`t make figures) and more commonly to the English speaking forum users, to my observation rather like our old friend Hank/Kunz there is a bit of racism in the mix , Kunz admitted to it a long time ago, blaming the carve up of his beloved Ottoman empire on the Brit`s,and hating us all for it. Our German friend could harbour similar sentiments, all that is speculative ,but I suspect the truth lies within the mix.

Hi Alan.
Yep some form of Autism would be a possible cause, but if he can indeed behave much better on Bennos, I think he is fully aware of what hes doing.
But ordinarily, yes Autism would explain a lot and then perhaps something could actually then be worked out....if it was actually genuine.

And yes I have also noticed the evidence of Anglophobic sentiment here and there. Sometimes its made obvious, sometimes a sort of "undercurrent" within a post. Ironic when it is still a form of Xenophobia...something these same people accuse others of.

Oh well lets hope theres a nice long break at least before the next incarnation appears!!

Here’s to more pleasurable time looking at Strelets’ work, to reading balanced and constructive critique and enjoying the contributions, suggestions and humour of others.

James
(aka that paid Strelets shill—me regular cheque is in the mail hey fellas? I can only assume that the previous ones are still on the way, d@mned covid-affected postage!)

Can't believe that's the same Handlewithcare who sent me such a comprehensive and nice reply on my question about Napoleonic french marines I asked at Benno's. Sure no one's (mis-)using his id?

Flambeau
Can't believe that's the same Handlewithcare who sent me such a comprehensive and nice reply on my question about Napoleonic french marines I asked at Benno's. Sure no one's (mis-)using his id?
"Ut ameris, amabilis esto."

Here, he wasn't.

The Kings English... errr whot!

Re: The Kings English... errr whot!

😂😂😂😂😂

Following on from the incorrect spelling of english in this forum, it´s annoying but I can live with it. If they practised "capitol" punishment in your school as opposed to "corporal" punishment then you wouldn´t be around to complain. Also please "ment" is spelt "meant". I am a British citizen living abroad and as such do not get to speak much english, if any, at work but look forward to reading well spelt english in the forum. I can forgive our foreign members but theink that the native english speakers should make a little bit of an effort. By the way it´s the Queens english as of the last 60 something years.

Malcolm

Malcolm.

Oops yes you are right, I mixed up Capital and Corporal punishment. I also did indeed spell "meant" wrong. In my defence, I kind of had a lot going through my mind...what with me, James & Donald being targeted by that individual, who apparently has form. Attacking Donald the way he did was absolutely out of order. We in turn, just used some tongue in cheek humour to fight back with.

I am not some Oxford or Cambridge graduate, I am a normal working class guy with a normal schooling, who has scale military modelling as one of my hobbies. Who also, I might add, has a sodding lot more to worry about than just spelling & grammar!!!
Yes a certain amount of local pronounciation creeps in to my wording, and I may slip up with grammar and spelling, but i'm sorry, it's not something I am going to lose sleep over. I am not perfect & I don't pretend to be!!!

Oh...by the way Malcolm.
It's "English" not "english", there is a capital E at the beginning. I'm sure you know why that may be the case. Oh and it's "think" not "theink".
Yes you are indeed right, it is currently the Queens English, but I still knew what he meant.
Ah yes, a Queen we have had for 69 years.
Hey! Well now look at that.....I may make some spelling mistakes but I guess I can at least work out some simple maths rather than make a broad assumption of her reigning for "60 something" years.

So seeing as it's all turning into some sort of English language lesson on here lately, allow me to end this post with an English word of the day......"pedantic".

Malcolm
Following on from the incorrect spelling of english in this forum, it´s annoying but I can live with it. If they practised "capitol" punishment in your school as opposed to "corporal" punishment then you wouldn´t be around to complain. Also please "ment" is spelt "meant". I am a British citizen living abroad and as such do not get to speak much english, if any, at work but look forward to reading well spelt english in the forum. I can forgive our foreign members but theink that the native english speakers should make a little bit of an effort. By the way it´s the Queens english as of the last 60 something years.

Malcolm
Full marks...

Whilst I agree that spelling and grammar make for an easier read, the important thing here on a toy soldier forum is that the writer feels comfortable, that we his peers are not all going to be a minor reincarnation of our banned German friend. It is a place for our enthusiasm of all things toy soldier to be expressed, without anxiety or fear of feeling, however well intended belittled,because we all err from time to time, think not theink for example :innocent: . So enjoying our hobby and commenting on social media has been an important part of that hobby for some time now, let all enjoy it.

I Rekon Yer floggin a Ded Orse...

My personal view is since I dont come here to learn english, as long as I can understand it thats all that matters... For a change of scene heres some classic Nonsense... err wot...

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Further more I've no idea wat these emoticons mean maybe we need a Translation...

:sunglasses:

Re: I Rekon Yer floggin a Ded Orse...

ironsides
:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Further more I've no idea wat these emoticons mean maybe we need a Translation...

:sunglasses:
The bottom one means 'cool'. You can't argue with that 'cause it's wearing shades.

The top one Err... Don't know but my best guess is 'be a good boy and take your cod liver oil'

Re. spelling and grammar errors, I find it useful to remember that for many of the posters on our forums English is a second language. Some may use online translators which, obviously, will not always deal with the change of syntax. As for the native English speakers I assume that for most of them, like me, it's been a long time since they were in school. People here communicate very well and, mostly, in good humour. Good enough.

There are people here who are eminently qualified to correct our mistakes because they do it for a living, I note that they don't do it because they're too polite... Or, perhaps, because we're not paying them.

P.S. did anyone notice that after taking one forum member to task over poor spelling, the cyber thug who started this then said another member was aboNiMable. Can't find that spelling in "The Oxford". :laughing:

Hi Graeme
Yes indeed we have non English speakers on the forum, and I for one just try and understand them as best I can, politely, and reply accordingly. I most certainly wouldn't insist they speak English, which would be a totally wrong thing to do or chastise them about their language.
Just above Luca has posted in Italian. Now I don't speak any Italian, nor would I know if the Italian spelling or grammar was correct in that post. What I do know is with a little help from google translate and kind of recognising some words that look similar to English, I got the general idea of what he was saying. That said, it still didnt translate perfectly back into English.
No matter though as I understood the context of what he was saying and so happily replied. He had some good ideas about some artillerymen poses.
So regardless of our languages, we do generally understand one another. Having a common interest also helps.

The top emoji I think is just meant to be a "playful", "Silly" kind of thing. Bottom emoji is definitely "cool".

And yes I too have noticed that many of our grammar fanatics often slip up exactly the same!! 😂

Moose'ant we allo allo try twu get aloong own dis four'um !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US3gf3pZQ-g

... or something like this!