Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: That persistant Mr Smith!!

😂😂😂 very true!!!

Dear Roger W,

forum registration are deadlier for the forums than these bots. HaT & Orion forums are good example of this.
Providers are notified about the problem and they're trying to cope with it (admittedly, with limited success so far).
Best regards,

Strelets

The membership/login suggestion was just that.......a suggestion.

I imagine the reason why Hats forum fell off a cliff is more down to a lack of anything new being made, not to mention the long wait for some sets, only to eventually see them appear with unacceptable mistakes/poor quality control.

Then there is the fact that if you even remotely criticise them, or a product, regardless of how constructive or helpful, the post is removed. Many contributors here have fallen foul of this over there, to the point they rarely post there now. Sad but understandable.
So basically its a forum full of censorship......"praise us or else".
I think that kind of behaiviour did as much to kill it off as anything else did.

Flambeau
Benno's is quite decent and I haven't noticed any kind of spam so far. You have to register and login however. I guess it takes some more admin time to run, so resources may be an issue.

Benno's does occasionally get spam robot posts, just a couple of days ago half of the front page was filled with them. Most were in Mandarin so I think that there's only a few members who would be able to read them. Members report suspect posts and the mods remove them and cancel the spammers membership.

Registration makes things more difficult for spammers so there is perhaps less traffic but would it deter anything as persistent as the Smiddybot? As I understand it each time it posts it is banned from the forum but it keeps coming back with a different IP address, would it just continually re-register?

Flambeau
Up to now I regard Mr. W. S. as a minor nuisance that can easily be ignored. At least as long as he always posts under the same name and starts with these "How to ..." titels.

Exactly so, a minor irritation and I don't even open the posts. Neither does anyone else I suspect. Lets just hope the spambot program has a line of code telling it if there's no response after ten million tries it should just give up.

Strelets has a forum format that works I can understand if they don't want to change it. William Smith is easily ignored and occasionally we can have some fun suggesting what should be done with the pillock, I quite enjoy those posts.