Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1st Battalion 4th Silesian Landwehr

Dear All,

Here is the latest update from the Plancenoit part of the project. This time we have the 1st Battalion 4th Silesian Landwehr. Six companies of the battalion are complete with two more to finish. The figures are mostly Hat and Strelets with a few Art Miniaturen. The Strelets figures are outstanding. They are advancing west through tall corn just on the outskirts of the village. More on my Blog at: http://generalpicton.blogspot.com

As ever, I'm indebted to the team helping out here. The battalions are coming in thick and fast and I have many more Prussians inbound. Hope you enjoy the pictures!

Re: 1st Battalion 4th Silesian Landwehr

Wow!! The work just looks amazing!!

The corn looks great..i can almost hear the breeze blowing through it!!!! The colour looks about right too.

What material did you use for the corn if you dont mind me asking?

More great images, and dedicated craftmanship on a grand scale. Marvellous!

With so many blue-clad battalions reaching the battle front, I'm wondering whether the constraint now will be table-space...or simply a paint supply 'crisis' (stocks of Prussian blue running low across the country!).

Many thanks to both of you. Waterloo needs a lot of tall rye. I use teddy bear fur. I ordered what I thought was 1 square metre, but it turned out to be 10 square metres. In hindsight I need 100 square metres!

Buy only the shortest pile, the long stuff is too long- any shade of golden yellow. Then water down some khaki green acrylic paint and work it in with your hands getting the fur waterlogged. Glue onto your terrain and then dry. If you want to get a trampled effect, take some wall paper glue and rub it in.

Here's my La Belle Alliance for some more results:

Amazing work! Always a grand sight! Now I wonder how big the whole thing is going to be? I suppose a normal living room is not enough. Did you inherit a castle or a manor? I remember helping some friends set up a 60 square metre diorama and it took almost one third of the grand hall of a hotel. And where do you store it if not in display? This begs to be shown to the general public. It will surely inspire some kids to continue our hobby.

Sadly, I have no castle, manor or large conference centre; I do however have a shed which is rapidly running out of space. The diorama will however require a room about the size of a tennis court. I'm working with Waterloo Uncovered and Waterloo 200 to look at possibilities. The great barn at Hougoumont is relatively empty. Other places in the UK are under consideration

100 sq meters of fur!!! Thats a lot of teddys!!!!

La Belle Alliance looks great, fantastic stagecoaches too!!

Thanks for the tip about the fur etc for doing rye. Id been puzzling how to do it for a while. Some ready made stuff for model railways works out too expensive for amount such a diorama would need, can also prove to be a little too yellow also.

I like the idea of your diorama ending up in the great barn at Hougoumont. Would kind of give the project the idea of coming full circle.
Finishing at the very battlefield that inspired its creation, so to speak.

Hm, the eternal storage problem, there's that. Friend of mine has his attic and his cellar filled with the modules for his dioramas. His wife is not always amused ... :wink:
Hougoumont would of course be a splendid place to show your project. Apart from being best place of all, it would also contribute to attracting visitors and generating funds for the preservation of the site. If that could be realised, wow!
If not, you might ask at Blenheim Palace. Perhaps they give you the space ... if you promise to do a Blenheim diorama next :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: I guess many here would like to see that! :relaxed:

I think I might ask the owner of Stratfield Saye first, as it might take me a while to get to Blenheim, or even Ramillies, Oudenarde or Malplaquet!

General Picton, Sire,

also this part of the diorama is simply ingeniously done.
The Landwehr units in the grain field look great. :heart_eyes:

I share your opinion: This diorama is much, far too good to disappear into the shed or basement. :fearful:

It belongs in a public exhibition or a museum..

Dear General Picton,

and what's about National Army museum?
Are they co-operating?

Best regards,

Strelets

Parts of the diorama will be shown in the National Army Museum in London from 20 to 23 October. This a joint project with the Royal United Services Institute, the National Army Museum and the Royal Hospital, along with Waterloo Uncovered.

This year we will show Hougoumont, La Belle Alliance, La Haie Sainte, Papelotte and Plancenoit. Next year we aim to show the French cavalry and Allied squares. We are also seeking to have the second Siborne diorama temporarily moved from the Royal Armouries at Leeds to join the other Siborne diorama; this would be the first time this has happened.