Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Those WSS Pikemen - Update

Looking good Graham. The device of adding a rank of pikes behind the 'command' (flags) base as a marker works and looks OK visually. I believe that you have a game system involving a single rank for linear formations?

The push of pike poses that you show as work in progress look fine, but clearly pose a problem on the tabletop for 'base to base' contact rules...although for formations that were very deep anyway (eg: Italian Wars pike blocks) having a base that the pikes 'overhang' works for me eg:

Have you considered using set 233 French Musketeers on the March for some pike poses? Suitable figures marching forward with pikes held upright, and more figures in the box than the pikemen set...and no cuirasses to paint over. Just trim the cartridge box off (giving you a small pile of spare cartridge boxes), remove the musket, drill hands as per your current project, add broom bristles at etc.

PS: Is that a rank of Airfix George Washington's Army Williamite musketeers I see before me...surely a long-service award is due!! They are quite a bit smaller than the Pikemen I think, but then they probably were anyway.

Have a good weekend:relaxed:

Re: Those WSS Pikemen - Update

"I believe that you have a game system involving a single rank for linear formations?"

Yes. My Jacobite/WSS rules which are now at the "WIP - Next Project" status have units deployed in single ranks of figures usually (the Highlanders are different) as I think that represents the actual look of armies better. The current predilection for 30 man units in 10 x 3 blocks looks a bit odd to me from a distance, as line infantry units shouldn't have a depth that's 30% of the frontage. It's great for painting display units, but for wargaming purposes I have an issue.

"The push of pike poses that you show as work in progress look fine, but clearly pose a problem on the tabletop for 'base to base' contact rules...although for formations that were very deep anyway (eg: Italian Wars pike blocks) having a base that the pikes 'overhang' works for me"

Level pikes on the table top...tell me about it. I have many, many, many Hat Macedonian phalangites with lots of levelled pikes. It's an issue when they are in close combat. As my figures normally fight each other I can glue them on bases so they interlock, but it is still fiddly. I have a friend who has done the figures at the pack of the base look like you, and I'm not a fan as the figures are then out of line with other units. For these fellows they'll go behind musketeers/officers like the others, and so will only stick out a little bit.

"Have you considered using set 233 French Musketeers on the March for some pike poses? Suitable figures marching forward with pikes held upright, and more figures in the box than the pikemen set...and no cuirasses to paint over"

No. I hadn't thought of that. The main issue would be with the poses. The figures are mostly drilling off the incorrect arm for pike use in the poses that are viable (so in mirror image) and the other figures are in poses incompatible with handling a pike. I did pike re-enactment in the 80s. It matters where your hands are, and those holding their muskets upright have their hands in the wrong places. 17th century pike drill on the move usually has one hand on the butt of the pike when held upright, supported by the shoulder. In any event I think I have enough figures for what I need from my two boxes.

"PS: Is that a rank of Airfix George Washington's Army Williamite musketeers I see before me...surely a long-service award is due!! They are quite a bit smaller than the Pikemen I think, but then they probably were anyway"

Yes. They are Airfix AWI. First painted and based for service in 1980, I think. They're one of the first WSS units I did, if memory serves. They've had a fresh lick of paint from time to time and been re-flagged and re-varnished, but they're still on the same bases. They are a bit smaller than modern Strelets, but much as I love the new figures coming out, these won't ever be stood down. The new ranges are tempting me to buy more figures, and I'm wondering at doing Austrian and Bavarians. I probably have too many British units. I could do with adding some Danes and more Hanoverians. If Strelets produced some proper Austrian Cuirassiers in lobster pots then that would trigger a buying spree, I fear.

Cuirassiers in lobster pots...would trigger a buying spree, I fear.

Nothing is so much to be feared as fear:wink:

Regards,

Strelets

Re: Cuirassiers in lobster pots...would trigger a buying spree, I fear.

Strelets
Nothing is so much to be feared as fear:wink:

Regards,

Strelets
Oh my, oh my. That is beautiful.

I believed, believed ... That WSS cannot be forgotten. Awesome miniature, Strelets, bravo!

At least 10 boxes...lots of these boys at Blenheim!

What a great looking cavalryman! I really like the look of him. He has that "heavy cavalry" look about him that is missing in other cuirassier type sets dotted around.
He has an impressive sword....... 😮 ok that just sounded wrong!!😂

Even though I know these boys to be part of the WSS range, I still cant get ECW out of my head everytime I see these figs!!

I am claiming credit for these as the first person to ask for them on the forum.

Thank you Strelets. You listen to us. You are awesome.

When it comes to ideas for sets, they do indeed listen. 👍

Graham Evans
I am claiming credit for these as the first person to ask for them on the forum.

Thank you Strelets. You listen to us. You are awesome.
LOL Mr Evans.... Hardly, but nice of you to join the queue anyway!!

No, this is probably the most asked-for WoSS figure since Strelets launched their excellent range a couple of years ago. Many have asked for this and now it looks as if Strelets are about to deliver.

Dear Strelets,

How great to see another of these lovely masters. I am recalling two figures 'in attack', in hat and now lobster pot, and also some earlier ones you showed to us who were less active—so am beginning to wonder if there are two groups of Austrian/Imperial cuirassiers in your pipeline?

Graham, the re- quote from Strelets is all yours for sure, but these have been spoken (written) about all year (at least)! You are dead right though about a buying spree. I'm looking to the east, while more here will be focussed on the Rhine, Italy or Spain. I hope that the production run is large!

Regards, James

Wow, almost missed that one! Very nice indeed. Bavarian cuirassiers it will be for me and perhaps Imperial Austrian. This is going to be an expensive year!

Samogon
Apr 26, 2020 - 4:39AM
Quote ReplyRe: War of Spanish Succession Mounted sets
I could be wrong, but I think there look to be four sets of French household cavalry - Grade du Corps, Mousquetaires, Gendarmes d’Elite and Grenadiers a Cheval. There seem to be two sets of English cavalry, at the charge and in advance. I didn’t see anything resembling French line cavalry, but could be wrong of course. And I definitely didn’t see French dragoons, which would definitely be needed as well. Plus Imperial cuirassiers in their old-fashioned lobster pots, of course.

Email Apr 26th, 2020 - 4:39 AM

Much asked for and now Strelets look as if all those customer requests will be answered in spades...

Here's an example from over a year ago. Samogon gets a fair credit here, but may not have been the first to ask? Anyway, regardless of this, good to see these on the way.

My Bavarian Regiment Costa, 18 figures nearing completion, will however, be 'AN Other' company's Horses and riders with Tumbling Dice heads. If only Strelets had told us about these figures 6 months ago....

James Fisher
Dear Strelets,

How great to see another of these lovely masters. I am recalling two figures 'in attack', in hat and now lobster pot, and also some earlier ones you showed to us who were less active—so am beginning to wonder if there are two groups of Austrian/Imperial cuirassiers in your pipeline?

Graham, the re- quote from Strelets is all yours for sure, but these have been spoken (written) about all year (at least)! You are dead right though about a buying spree. I'm looking to the east, while more here will be focussed on the Rhine, Italy or Spain. I hope that the production run is large!

Regards, James
Please do not mix floppy hats and lobster pots in the same box. Please, no, no, no. I'll be throwing half away.

I'll give you my address to send them to! :grinning:

James Fisher
I'll give you my address to send them to! :grinning:
I'll swap you. Fair exchange is no robbery, as the saying goes.

Dear Graham,

Could do, 'cept I'll be using both (whether the likes of the one above and this one
http://pub33.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=2833323740&frmid=6&msgid=1083654&cmd=show
are boxed separately or together) to mix and match between and within units, as it seemed that they likely did—and I'd do so for the look and variety of it anyway.

'Twas, of course, just a slightly tongue-in-cheek offer to save you adding to landfill. It seems a bit of a waste to have extracted the oil in the first place...!

Ciao for now,

James

Graham Evans
Jun 12, 2021 - 3:47PM
Quote ReplyRe: Those WSS Pikemen - Update
Ronald McAtee

If I do that I can't use them for WSS. Basically I'm tight fisted and want to get as much use as I can out of what I've got.

Agreed, we shouldn't be chucking good figures away. My dilemma is whether to buy any of the new Cuirassiers having expended time and effort producing some conversions using figures from other sources.....If I do buy, it means raising an Austrian contingent: cuirassiers, then infantry, then more cuirassiers, then hussars, then artillery.....:face_with_rolling_eyes:

Minuteman

Graham Evans
Ronald McAtee

If I do that I can't use them for WSS. Basically I'm tight fisted and want to get as much use as I can out of what I've got.

Agreed, we shouldn't be chucking good figures away. My dilemma is whether to buy any of the new Cuirassiers having expended time and effort producing some conversions using figures from other sources.....If I do buy, it means raising an Austrian contingent: cuirassiers, then infantry, then more cuirassiers, then hussars, then artillery.....:face_with_rolling_eyes:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Graham Evans
Minuteman

Graham Evans
Ronald McAtee

If I do that I can\'t use them for WSS. Basically I\'m tight fisted and want to get as much use as I can out of what I\'ve got.

Agreed, we shouldn\'t be chucking good figures away. My dilemma is whether to buy any of the new Cuirassiers having expended time and effort producing some conversions using figures from other sources.....If I do buy, it means raising an Austrian contingent: cuirassiers, then infantry, then more cuirassiers, then hussars, then artillery.....:face_with_rolling_eyes:
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Not a bad thing, but I have well over 1,000 WoSS figures waiting to be painted already....

"I have well over 1,000 WoSS figures waiting to be painted already..."

Well, one more figure surely won't break a camel's horse's back:

Best regards,

Strelets

Re: "I have well over 1,000 WoSS figures waiting to be painted already..."

Strelets
Well, one more figure surely won't break a camel's horse's back:

Best regards,

Strelets
Well.....:face_with_rolling_eyes: OK, I could probably manage just a few more...:blush:

Re: "I have well over 1,000 WoSS figures waiting to be painted already..."

These are gonna be magnificent!

Wow !! I want so much this set...
Brava brava brava Strelets!!

Superb sculpts! Definitely going to buy a couple of boxes. Oh dear, this is going to be an expensive year ...