Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sheriffmuir, 1715

Well, you have fallen into a common misconception there. The Jacobite risings aren't strictly Scots v English. There were Scots on both sides of the argument, and English Jacobites too. Some Scots ended up in French service - such as the Duke of Berwick - but the religious aspect that motivated some of the Irish wasn't so clearly present (although again, that isn't that clear either). The British Army swept up a lot of Scots into its ranks as entire regiments.

Whatever you may think from what is being said now, the Union of England and Scotland was a voluntary union, and many Scots did very well out of it. Ireland was more of an Anglo-Scottish conquest (oh yes, the Scots were avid colonisers of Ireland), so there's more to be annoyed about. Having said that, many Catholic Irish made a fine career out of serving His Britannic Majesty.

The BRITISH (not English) Regiments, lead by The Duke of Argyle (a SCOT), were called, at the time:

Infantry:
Forfar's
Montague's
Wightman's
Orrery's
Shannon's
Morrison's
Clayton's
Egerton's

Cavalry (all Dragoons):
Portmore's (later the Scots Greys)
Carpenter's
Evans'
Stair's
Kerr's

If you are interested, I can recommend Oates' book. It is very thorough.

Many thanks again, Graham! I'm aware that religion certainly wasn't as much an issue with the Scots as with the Irish and loyalties were more divided, nevertheless the question remains. I know of a number of prominent Scottish emigres or their descendants (first and foremost of course Berwick or Étienne Macdonald, Marshall of France or Barclay de Tolly), but it seems emigration was limited to some nobles rather than whole thousands of soldiers and serving in foreign armies was - at least for nobles - not uncommon in that period (viz. Prince Eugene and others).

Then, I came upon a strange "order of battle" for Sheriffmuir
https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/54540/john-campbell-2nd-duke-argyll-and-greenwich-1678-1743-soldier-and-statesman-order-battle-sheriffmuir
and the names of the units listed there sound at least in part very Dutch (Welderen, Zoutland etc.). I know there were Dutch troops at the Boyne, so perhaps ...? Or they got it wrong on their website, who knows?

The name on that is wrong. The document clearly says "In Scotland" not "At Sheriffmuir". Dutch, and if memory serves, Swiss, troops were recruited by the British Government as the British Army had been massively downsized when involvement in the War of Spanish Succession ceased. The giveaway, as well, is that it lists Cadogan, who didn't got to Scotland until after the battle.

As for Scots/Irish mercenaries overseas as opposed to Scots aristocrats and descendants, the situation was very different. The Jacobite Risings were about a split in the ruling classes. If you lost out, then you fled to France (if you were a Catholic) or to the Netherlands (if you were a Protestant), a fine tradition going back to the start of the Reformation.

I have reported the citation error to the National Gallery for Scotland.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up! Nobody can argue the educational value of our hobby! 😄