Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Friday Weather: Drought in Desert, High Red Tide in the Low Lands

These have some of the best horses ive seen lately.
Out standing strelets, can you now apply the horse standard to future Nappy sets please.
Many thanks keep up the great work

Wonderful figures!
I think too, that they are british cavalry. I will buy certainly some boxes...

These are more lovely looking figures. To all the experts out there who's knowledge on WSS is far greater than mine, what makes these dragoons rather than line cavalry? Is it the one cross belt (compared to the two on the other British cavalry set released)? Could these figures fill in for other types/nations as well?

#Rich,

lovely figures indeed. As to what makes them French Dragoons, have a look at the discussion above. Generally speaking I suppose they will do for other nations (line) cavalry/horse as well, with some small changes as cutting away the cartridge box on the belt. The horses are perhaps more problematic if you want to use them for line cavalry, there should be two holsters on both sides of the saddle, no shovels or other equipment. Dragoons usually looked much the same as line cavalry (with some notable exceptions), the difference was in how they were used (as mounted infantry) and in their pay. It seems that British dragoons however were rarely used as infantry, but in the same way as "horse", only that they were payed less. So some regiments were designated "dragoons" for purely economical reasons. The "Horse" (Line) cavalry of some nations also (sometimes) had the better/heavier horses and might also have a (front) cuirass. There were a lot of subtle differences though. Try to get hold of a copy of C S Grant's "Armies and uniforms of Marlborough's wars" if you want more detail.