Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Favorite paints?

For a long time I used GW paints because, basically, they were the only game in town. Available locally, and a wide range of colours.

Recently - about 5 or 6 years ago - a couple of things happened Vallejo became more available local to me, and GW changed their range of colours so that now you need some sort of college course to know what is what. Plus I prefer dropper bottles to the GW jars. Now I use mainly Vallejo colours with some GW for certain things.

Also recently I started using a wet palette, you can use GW colours with one, but dropper bottles allow you to just place a tiny amount of pigment in the pallette, which is often all you need.

All acrylics. I have a depleting stock of FolkArt, but more recently, and increasingly, Vallejo and GW. I no longer use enamels, mostly because acrylics are more user friendly.

This has been very, very helpful to me. Thank you very much to all who posted! I think I am making up my mind now. Much appreciated, and a huge thank you to you all!

Enamels, enamels, and enamels again. I started with enamels decades ago and I stick with enamels to this very day. Tried acrylics and deemed them not meeting my requirements. I've never had any problems with the "unhealthy" smell of the minimal quantities of turpentine substitute or thinners that I needed.

:wink:

Yes, I can quite understand an enduring preference for enamels. They were the only paints I used for at least the first 30 years I spent pursuing this hobby, and I still do use them from time to time....most recently in fact to paint armour on a range of TYW pikemen and cavalry (a project with a very long way yet to go I hasten to add). And yes, the smell of turpentine is, if you like it, a wonderful aroma.

Nice to see more pictures from you, Handlewithcare. The leafy arbor looks like a good place to be, as does the lively tavern! The better aspects of the early C17th brought to life.

There is some very good work there, very impressed.

I use vallejo acrylics and army painter washes and am usually happy with them. Although most of the reds always seem very runny...