Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: PSR reviews of Long Range Desert Group Sets: Road watch

Very good, most descriptions have the guys hiding away from the road in scrub etc prone, minimal kit, as it would need carrying both ways and slow them down and it would blow the cover story of being escaped POW`s. One of the first figures ever made is close, the first series 8th army prone figures with binoculars , bring him up to date, lose the helmet and take off his back pack and perfect for one of the pair.

Re: PSR reviews of Long Range Desert Group Sets

If I was still doing this era and was after these sets (still debating whether to buy them anyway!!), i can imagine finding use for many of the poses. Yes the set designer hasnt quite thought through what the unit did and how it operated but i feel it is a tad harsh to say that hardly any use can be found for them.

On the subject of set designs however, as a Nap fan, i have at times wondered about the decision making with some of the sets released & think that sometimes more thought in its design was needed. All flanking company figures for the French infantry sets, Prussian Dragoons and Hussars mostly playing around with their carbines yet not really looking like they are on picket duty or reconaissance. This put me off these sets.

The sculpting is 1st rate for sure, but if the poses chosen are of limited use then that sculpting counts for nothing.
Eg, I havent bought any of the French on the march nor do I intend to. Why? Well because 1-they are all of flank companies when a few in proportion with the main fusiliers would of been more beneficial, and 2- they arent even in good marching poses when compared to the British and Prussian marching sets.

So while i think PSR is a little bit harsh on the LRDG set being of little use, they do have a point on set designs.

I think the PSR review of the regular set is too harsh, though I understand that the reviewer is focusing on what these men did rather than on what they could be portrayed as doing. So if the focus is on potential uses outside the narrow context of the early Desert War, most of these figures are spot on for the Israeli War of Independence period - for both sides. The figures wearing a mixture of Arab headdress and British uniform work perfectly for Arab irregulars and Palestinian guerrilla units, while the men in cap comforters, berets and such work perfectly for Jewish units (especially the Palmach, whose look was equally scruffy to the LRDG). With a head conversion of the kheffiyah-clad figures -or a figure from the many desert Arab sets - on top of the body of British soldier in battledress you get the Jordanian Arab Legion (who also wore standard battledress with Brodie helmets. Figures from LRDG with berets can also represent the Egyptian Army of the period, whose uniforms were otherwise British in style. Lastly, the Syrians and Lebanese can be represented fairly accurately with the Esci WWII French.

It may not have been the intention, but Strelets have not allowed an entirely new conflict to be modeled in 1/72 plastic!

Samogon

It may not have been the intention, but Strelets have not allowed an entirely new conflict to be modeled in 1/72 plastic!
That is a very interesting insight, Samogon, thank you. I am assuming that the 'not' is 'now' in your post. The Israeli War of Independence is not a conflict I know much about, but I will now look at these figures in a different way with a view to them being useful post-1945.