Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Prussians are Coming!

Dear Gerd, many thanks and I'm so pleased that you have found a Briton able to take an interest in non-British things. Actually, I think you will find that the British have generally been a force for good in the world, but have been appreciative of the contribution of others.

Certainly, Waterloo was a multi-national effort but that is true for most 'British' wars which usually turn out to have been coalitions. In 1815, only 15 million people lived in Great Britain, less than half the population of France, so without Prussian, Netherlands, Nassau, Hanoverian and Brunswick contributions the victory could not have happened. To go further, I myself am a Scot - the Scots Greys, Scots Guards, Royal Scots, Black Watch, Gordon Highlanders, Cameron Highlanders and Highland Light Infantry certainly prove that the victory was not a purely English one. And the Duke of Wellington himself was born in Ireland although, as he was at pains to point out, 'being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse'.

I can't remember which WW2 American General said the United Kingdom would 'fight on until the last of her allies was dead' which was a bit unfair, but certainly Britain has never minded subsidising mercenary armies or paying her allies to do the fighting for her.

Undoubtedly some British commanders have had fractious relations with their allies, and Monty was a prime example. As Churchill said of him: 'in battle, unbeatable, in victory, unbearable'. But Monty could be magnanimous to the vanquished and gave General von Thoma dinner the night he was captured. Churchill never rated Monty's cooking and commented: 'Poor General von Thoma, defeated in battle and then made to have dinner with Monty'.

I think Wellington was a better coalition commander, who maintained exemplary relations with the Spanish and Portuguese and was pretty indulgent of the youthful Prince of Orange. Wellington admired Blucher, even if he found him somewhat eccentric. As Wellington wrote in his Waterloo despatch: "I should not do justice to my own feelings, or to Marshal Blücher and the Prussian army, if I did not attribute the successful result of this arduous day to the cordial and timely assistance I received from them".

"To go further, I myself am a Scot - the Scots Greys, Scots Guards, Royal Scots, Black Watch, Gordon Highlanders, Cameron Highlanders and Highland Light Infantry certainly prove that the victory was not a purely English one."

Hello,
this is perfectly correct and I understand your point of view.
I didn't want to provoke anyone.... or such... :speak_no_evil:

It only struck me that many people in England believe that the Battle of Waterloo took place only between Hougoumont and La Haye Saint. And this view can even be found among English reenactors, who have actually dealt more intensively with history. When you tell these people that there had been heavy fighting in Plancenoit and up to Fichermont, sometimes you even get told; "But this has nothing to do with the Battle of Waterloo." I've heard these words and other amazing things...
But I think we would probably get similar answers from people from Germany or France who are not familiar with the battle of Waterloo.
But since you're Scottish, you're probably looking at English history a little differently... and with a further perspective on these topics..

And you have no reason to downsize the Siborne diorama and liberate it from Prussian troops.... as one says it to a certain duke... :grimacing:

You do exactly the opposite and you re-build exactly this "Prussian part" of it.... and this surprised me so positively. :grinning:

Another great diorama: http://thrifles.blogspot.com/2015/11/celle-2015-picture-report-waterloo.html

Thanks Gerd, there are some great German Waterloo dioramas but only Thomas Mischak shows Plancenoit!

Yes,

the big diorama build by Thomas Mischak is really great... :+1:

For example his churchyard of Plancenoit:

Source: www.bennosfigures.com

But I think your diorama shows the arrangement of paths, fields and buildings even more accurately.

You are even closer to the historical situation.

And I'm amazed at how you've done this. :scream:

So let us hear the sound again: https://youtu.be/pRdUcIfYMqA :guardsman:

Thank you Gerd, I have enjoyed the support of the UK National Army Museum who have let me use a 3d scan of the Siborne model. Thomas Mischak is a very generous man and a supporter of my project.