Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
The experts have spoken.

Again, thanks gents. Your knowledge is much appreciated (& I had a lot of fun looking at the suggested sets, planning & thinking).

donald

Re: Late Romans are Early Byzantines? What do you think, Babylonian?

From what George Dennis says it is believed the Strategikon is more of a compilation of thought more than anything else. Avars play a decent part, but there are sections which deal with other cultures and the suggested reforming of the Byzantine armed forces in general. I would agree and suggest it is particularly valid starting in the 7th Century AD, while its 6th Century application is a little more hypothetical but probable on at least some level (after all, they did not 100% reinvent the wheel during Maurice's reign).

I think perhaps a bigger hurdle in translating the Late Romans to the Byzantines is most 4th-5th Century Late Roman sets (especially their foreign auxiliaries) tend to be at least a little Western Empire (i.e. culturally Latin based) biased, while of course the Byzantines were primarily concentrated on the Eastern (i.e. culturally Greek based) side. It is not an insurmountable difference by any means, but does change the insignia and the dress to some extent.

Happy to help! I learned many years ago that in today's world individual intelligence is highly overrated, while group intelligence is underrated. So if I can provide any information that helps out I am more than willing to do so, although I am better at pure ancients then Classics or Medievals (that said I am looking into Frederick Barbarossa right now, interesting army he has... a very Strelets themed one as well). :sunglasses: