Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A challenge for Strelets

'So what we need now is a Military Band.
They should include Bass Drum; French-Horns; clarinets and the 'Jingling Johnny'.'
You mean like the ones in set 013?

Evening, yeah it is a good idea but Strelets has already done a French Napoleonic band. All for some more eg the Guard and massed drummers with drum majors.

Keep up the good work

Bands are always welcome for whatever era. Even for WW2 for example a German band, especially a mounted band which I have seen on newsreel of that time. We keep dreaming.

I would buy in order:

WWII German band, standing, playing.

WWII American Army band, marching, playing.

ACW Band generic for North or South, marching, playing.

Just get us the figures with the correct instruments and we can buy multiple boxes if needed to create the correct number of each instrument.

Bands are very popular in both HO 1/87 scale and in 54mm 1/32nd scale and have been for decades in the case of HO scale and over a century in the case of 54mm.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
I would buy in order:

WWII German band, standing, playing.

WWII American Army band, marching, playing.

ACW Band generic for North or South, marching, playing.

Just get us the figures with the correct instruments and we can buy multiple boxes if needed to create the correct number of each instrument.

Bands are very popular in both HO 1/87 scale and in 54mm 1/32nd scale and have been for decades in the case of HO scale and over a century in the case of 54mm.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog
I agree.

Whilst miniature bandsmen have a limited use on the tabletop in a wargames army (other than drummers on foot and mounted trumpeters), martial music is such an important part of the military spectacle in the sense of real world/dioramas/collections of model soldiers, that the relative lack of bandsmen in 1/72 is quite surprising.

With all the sets that are now available of ACW troops on the march, I'd have thought than an ACW band would sell well? I'm not sure that I'd buy a WW2 German marching band, but I might well buy a Napoleonic or ACW one.

in vero strelets ha già realizzato un gruppo di banda francese nel set 013

Re: A challenge for Strelets: set 013

Set 013 - Napoleon's General Staff (1) - was produced in 2005. The set included 7 musicians, a bonus Russian C17th Streltsi drummer, and Napoleon resting his foot on a drum. At a pinch therefore, eight musicians and a spare drum.

The contents of set 013 did not constitute a band, and as the PSR review questions, it is not clear anyway why this disparate group of musicians was included in a Command set.

Whatever the case, set 013 is now out of stock just about everywhere. Time therefore for a new and dedicated band set(s)?

Re: A challenge for Strelets: set 013

While my collection is for wargaming, I have two uses for a band. I do like to make set ups of my collection to take photos, and so non-combat poses can be useful for those instances. But for wargames, I give a morale bonus if troops have a mascot, dog usually; medic; commander figure; mess facility; and musicians in reasonable proximity. So having a band would be helpful. Place them near the regimental or perhaps divisional command post to provide a morale bonus.

German bands often seem to be pretty close to the front lines in WWII, and I think were at regimental level.

In the US Army bands were a divisional asset and typically were assigned as clearing personnel to aid in the removal of the wounded when not actually playing music.

Military musicians were considered non-combatants. That is why they wear distinctive and fancy uniforms to identify them as non-combatants, and don't carry weapons, and why little boys could be drummers, since, in theory, they would not be shot at.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog