Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Drummers & Fifers for Louis XIV's French?

Zouave72
The French regiments at the time of Louis the Fourteenth was a private matter. The King reimbursed the colonel - owner on the basis of a "charge book" and a review of the troops before a commissioner of the King. The drums, fifes and musicians, were at the expense of the colonel - owner. The uniforms worn by those were according to the will of the owner colonel. Only uniforms worn by the troop were defined by royal regulations. Of course each regiment had to possess drums and fifes out of tactical necessity (this regulates walking, country life and garrisoning). The other musicians were a matter of prestige of the regiment and its ownerprayed.
Thank you for your profound information.

I think too that fifers were used only in marching or drill formations. They didn´t make any sense during battles, firing and combatting.
So I agree too with Minuteman´s advice that all further 18th century sets shall have a minimum of 2 drummers. I had to copy the drummer figures of Strelets to receive enough drummers which were missing totally in some of the former WSS-sets.

Re: Drummers & Fifers for Louis XIV's French?

Thanks everyone and have a nice evening/morning! :sunglasses: