Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
7 YW

Could I use the Britsh infantry and artillery (Jacobite Rebellion) for Brits 7YW ?

And what about British cav. for the 7 YW ?

Re: 7 YW

From the point of view of British uniforms post 1742 through the SYW ie: to 1762, these changed little and so I see no reason not to use existing and forthcoming Redbox Jacobite '45 Rebellion sets for the SYW.

There is plenty of information about British and other SYW uniforms on the Kronosaf website, a mine of information. There are also several good Osprey titles and the old but very useful Blandford 'Uniforms of the Seven Years War' book.

What is more of an issue is the French opponents. Which figures would you plan to use for the French? Or are you only building a British army?

Thanks for the information.

I'm thinking of using Austrian sets made by Revell (inf./cav./art.).

The Pope
Thanks for the information.

I'm thinking of using Austrian sets made by Revell (inf./cav./art.).
Sounds OK (ish), although the Revell Austrian infantry are only available in a 'double set box' with the SYW Prussian infantry; and the Austrian artillery is out of production and difficult to get hold of; they are wearing Austrian 'German' artillery uniform with boots so would need modifying, and the guns are 3 pounders. The Austrian dragoons are a fine set, although again only available as a double set with the Prussian hussars. To my mind also, the heads of the dragoons are too small; but the horses are excellent.

You may already have a stash of these sets, in which case go for it.

There are of course also the HaT SYW Austrian sets?

You might consider using figures from the Strelets WoSS range? Some French infantry even in 1757 still wore a full coat without turnbacks; trim the large cuffs of the Strelets sets and you will have something that will work for these old-fashioned looking French infantry. And one or more of the French Maison du Roi sets that Strelets have lined up will work for SYW cavalry, with some modification (no wigs, smaller cuffs, hair tied back) and a decent paint job. French SYW cavalry was magnificent and varied, and included some units with breastplates and/or bearskins as well as more usual tricornes.

Ideally of course Strelets might actually bring out some Seven Years War figures in 2021...:grin:

Again thanks for the information.
The Kronoskaf site is a real revelation.

I already had a huge stash of the old Revell sets and 2 weeks ago I bought everything I could find of the 7YW range (Revell and Hat) at my local shop (in Antwerp).

According to the Kronoskaf site the Grenadiers de France wore a bearskincap which resembles the Austrian bearskincap (no headswap needed).

I think I also can use the Revell Prusian Husars as French Husars.

Still waiting for HAT Prusian art. 7YW.

The WSS sets are a posibility.

Would indeed be nice to see Strelets opening a 7YW range.
But I think they will focus on the campaigns they already started.

Greetings from Belgium

My pleasure. With those Revell sets and some HaT Austrians thrown in, you should be able to create a good looking French army. Enjoy your SYW project!

Red Box to the rescue

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/News.aspx

Re: Red Box to the rescue

Paint dog
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/News.aspx
These new sets may be very good (fingers crossed) and if so will fill quite a gap for mid 18th century cavalry....so a response to your calls for more cavalry for this period, donald, and from an unexpected source.

Now, I wonder if Redbox would like to make some SYW cuirassiers as well?

@ Minuteman

How useable would the Red Box British cavalry & artillery be for other SYW armies?

I respect your learning & look forward to your answer.

donald

Paint dog
@ Minuteman

How useable would the Red Box British cavalry & artillery be for other SYW armies?

I respect your learning & look forward to your answer.

donald

@donald: I am flattered that my 'learning' counts here, I'm sure your knowledge of the SYW is at least as good as mine! I suppose we will have to wait and see what the sculpts are like, and the horses as well. I am hopeful that the Fitzjames Horse set may be useable as French (and maybe other) cavalry. British uniforms of the period tended to be looser than the Prussian style, and it may be that the British Horse and Dragoon sets will be useable as Austrian (and other eg: Russian) dragoons?

There are no cuirassiers here, but it is all a step in the right direction, I hope.