Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paint Washes

Washes can be a great way of shading, they can also spoil a great paint job, experiment with a single figure first. I have loads, some get more use than others, reds and blue`s you are better off using a dark,med and light paint to shade, browns shade well with an umber wash , flesh wash works well on...flesh,but like I said experiment, black is not the solution to all shading and the wash I use least of all these days.

Alan Buckingham
Washes can be a great way of shading, they can also spoil a great paint job, experiment with a single figure first. I have loads, some get more use than others, reds and blue`s you are better off using a dark,med and light paint to shade, browns shade well with an umber wash , flesh wash works well on...flesh but like I said experiment, black is not the solution to all shading and the wash I use least of all these days.
All good advice.

As Mr B suggests, try washes on single figures and see what works. We have all been in the position of over-doing washes: I remember covering a 'Waterloo' French infantry regiment back in the days of oil-based enamels, with my own home-made 'black wash' which made them look as if they'd emerged from a coal mine. Disappointing!

Shading of colours is a good technique if you wish to do this; personally I use this technique with more limited washes to specific parts of the figure. And I tend to use a 'dark to light' painting technique, meaning that - for instance - a unit of Bavarians would start with a dark blue wash on their coats, then a first 'highlighting shade' (a medium/light blue) to provide the main coat colour base and a then a light shade (light blue) to provide highlights and a very light blue dry brush to finish the highlighting. I would then not put a wash on the coats at all since the remaining indigo base wash is now providing the deep shadowing.

An obvious extra point: It is easy to make small figures look too dark, so again...be careful with the washes.

I'm no artist and lazy so I tend to wash everything in Winsor and Newton nut brown ink. I think it works most of the time and you can always highlight a bit if the figure is too dark overall.

Simplified explanation would be something like this: for warm colours go into brown direction with washes, for cold colours into black one.

A word of advice: experiment with intensity of washes and their application... many times a controlled one ends with more satisfying results.

Hmm lots of food for thought there.
Thanks for all the advice guys. Very much appreciated.

I will buy a few more shades and have a play around.

Ive got some spare Hat limber/caisson horses I can test on plus some of the riders who will become guinea pigs!
I will give them a basic paint job rather than go whole hog of doing all the details. Have a try on that and then if im happy, have a go on a soldier or 2 of ones ive properly done.

With all the mud, smoke and powder burns during Waterloo, im not wanting figures looking too much like they just came out of a parade ground!

Many thanks again guys, stay safe in these troubled times.

Roger