Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: why marching soldiers of WW1 are missing

Maybe it's the OCD in me but I've always loved the sight of troops marching in formation. But I appear to be in the minority among many of my fellow collectors, who prefer action poses. And I believe most makers cater to the desires of the majority. Back when I was a boy and our toy soldiers (military miniatures, if you prefer) were made by large corporations in massive quantities folks like Marx and MPC (among others) could provide a large compliment of poses on a sprue (think of the ten different poses for each side of the original Marx ACW figures - there were thirteen WW2 German poses - eventually some 32 or 33 US GIs!). Now the industry standard seems to be eight (thanks Strelets for the exceptions).

Back when we were kids a lot of kids just threw their marchers aside (along with the minesweeper/pool cleaner poses). You can do that when there's thirteen-plus poses. Nowadays it doesn't seem practical. So unless someone (hint, hint) decides to make a dedicated set, it looks like the gap of marching troops for 20th Century figures will remain unfilled unless there is an evident demand.

marching up to front is a great shout all the old reels of film always show them marching up the front it could be on the way to mons ypres or the somme full of cheer.always a sad thing as we know not a lot came back would make a good subject i think

It depends on your needs. I can find 1/72 plastic marching WW1 soldiers for Russian, Ottoman, German, Austro-Hungarian, French, Belgian, British, U.S. and ANZAC units in my collection, which is far from complete.

Dear Pa,
I am quite curious where you have found marching germans, british, ottomans or french besides the old Airfix sets or till 1915/16.
Please give me a little help. I haven´t found them, unfortunatly.

The Hat sets have marching poses, British, German, Ottoman, early French, as do I think Caesar, there are quite a few about, check PSR.

Mr Buckingham nailed it: They are mostly HaT indeed, but also Caesar early war French, Zvezda early war and Revell late war Germans. Check PSR for details:
http://plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=11

Given the relative similarity of uniforms from the neck down, a headswap and some blade-/brushwork should provide you with a lot of variety.

Hunting down the figures you want is all part of the fun! Regards, Pa

Dear Pa and Alan,

I have studied already before PSR. Besides one Revell german all your named other sets are early war and the uniforms and equipment quite different to the later ones. So a simple head swap won´t be sufficient.

And I have indeed a problem why the producers can´t integrate one marching pose in theirs sets.

Early war miniatures do some marching figures, certainly British in helmets and Turks.

Dear Sansovino.

I'm with you. A full set of marching figures in assorted poses would be grand. An ideal one for the 'Strelets touch'; if they can fit it into their already busy and full schedule!

Kind regards,

James

Marching Soldiers For WWII and WWI Would Be Great

I would rather have a man at sling arms walking along the road than the wounded or dead guy.

I like the man at right shoulder arms marching also, on parade, or guard duty, better than the bayoneting guy.

This is true for all figures.

Personally I like the Caesar Miniatures German Marching figures and would like these for all the major combatants. In the 1920s and 1930s marching toy soldiers and even marching band toy soldiers were very popular. Even today Preiser makes marching bands and they are super expensive, but HO 1/87 scale.

Airfix made two of their first few sets were marching guards and a guards band which are long out of production but fetch large prices for collectors.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek
Bunker Talk blog

Re: Marching Soldiers For WWII and WWI Would Be Great

I think Hat pioneered this with their MAC concept, matching, attacking - ****ed if I can remember what what C stood for: combat perhaps?

Re: Marching Soldiers For WWII and WWI Would Be Great

C - Command