Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Italian Light Anti-tank artillery set for WW2: proposal

Strelets are doing a fine job in producing artillery and crews for various 20th century armies. The latest example is the Japanese Type 11 infantry gun and crew just posted.

I'd like to propose a set along the lines of the two recently-released Finnish Anti-tank sets, but this time for the Italian army in WW2. The concept would be very similar ie: a light anti-tank gun; and an anti-tank rifle, with appropriate crew for each.

The heavier weapon in the Italian set would be the Breda 20/65 Modello 35 20mm dual purpose AT/AA gun; this was a widely-used weapon, especially in the Western Desert. Many were captured by the allies and therefore are found on a variety of vehicle mountings, both Axis and Allied. This gun has been modelled (with varying success) by various 20mm metal manufacturers but never in 1/72 plastic, except as a part of a hard plastic vehicle model (eg: Italeri's Sahariana kit)

The anti-tank rifle would be the Solothurn S18/1000, a Swiss weapon adopted by the Italian army before the war and used in significant quantities by them, and also by various other WW2 armies.

Ideally, the crews for these weapons would be equipped for the Western Desert campaign, in a combination of sun hats and caps.

Re: Italian Light Anti-tank artillery set for WW2: proposal

Good suggestion ! An obvious gap here for Strelets to fill.

That is a good suggestion Minuteman,
I like the idea of the crew in Sun-hats and caps. Also, the odd one or two in Shorts would be a useful addition.

The Italians in the desert are indeed unrepresented , a quick look at PSR shows lots of sets suitable for Europe /Eastern front, but few for the desert, Strelets this is a bigger gap than I first thought......

Now that's a set I need! Preferably not in shorts because trousers make the troops useful outside of Africa as well. Regards, Pa