Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: You need the enemies.

Good points Donald,
I believe that there are quite a few WWII Italian Officers in 1/72nd plastic. They are smartly dressed as are their troops. The Italian ordinary ranks were short of everything by the second year of the desert campaign. Very little was getting past Malta (Convoy-wise) and the airlifts were minimal.
When I suggested 'scruffy' I had in mind characters in Great-coats and forage or woolly hats.
My father was in the LRDG and had tremendous respect for the Black Watch and often talked about their valour. He also had empathy for the Italians; for various reasons that I shan't go into on this forum as it probably isn't the right platform.
deid schaw

Pragmatism (& Italians)

When I started out wargaming, I would create a single side in a conflict, depending on my pals to do the other side.

Big mistake.

People move, lose interest & are just not available when you want a game & it's hard to wargame Waterloo when only the French turn up.

So, pragmatism has taught me to build both sides in every conflict. You need Italians to oppose the LRDG: simple as that. Being a bit "campaign worn" would only be realistic.

donald

(BTW I very much like Italians too. A wonderful people. As my wife is Italian, you can see that I may be biassed).

Re: Pragmatism (& Italians)

Paint dog
When I started out wargaming, I would create a single side in a conflict, depending on my pals to do the other side.

Big mistake.

People move, lose interest & are just not available when you want a game & it's hard to wargame Waterloo when only the French turn up.

So, pragmatism has taught me to build both sides in every conflict. You need Italians to oppose the LRDG: simple as that. Being a bit "campaign worn" would only be realistic.

donald

(BTW I very much like Italians too. A wonderful people. As my wife is Italian, you can see that I may be biassed).
Me too. I've collected 'both sides' for all of my armies since the earliest days of collecting Airfix OO/HO figures; that company's 'playsets' with both sides fighting over a piece of the inspiring-if-basic Airfix scenery, be it a gun emplacement or pontoon bridge or a Roman Fort, has something to do with it.

Despite the efforts of Italian figure producers, there are many useful sets of Italian soldiers for the western desert campaign that have yet to be made. Hopefully Strelets will note this and oblige us. Sets of the quality of the LRDG and the DAK Mortar set showing some Italians would be ideal!