Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: L.R.D.G. Sets

For me collecting has always been first about the soldiers / warriors, then other add-ons. If I want a cavalry set, the beasts need to come first with riders, then followed by dismounted, resting, grooming poses. In the end, yes, I'd like them all.

Strelets did such an outstanding sculpting job with the Lawrence of Arabia themed figures, I'm hoping to see L.R.D.G. drivers and gunners with native headress looking like Lawrence in full action. :palm_tree: :earth_africa:

The third LRDG set (masters just posted) looks particularly good and from my viewpoint is probably the most useful of the three LRDG sets so far. The officers and the radio operator are particularly good and could be used in all sorts of 8th Army contexts; the other figures are also useful, either as they are or with head-swaps (steel helmets) to become more 'conventional' 8th Army soldiers in the desert.

I would also support a set of vehicle crew, although I recognise the difficulties of producing such a set unless specifically for AN Other manufacturers' vehicle(s); fitting legs into confined spaces on 1/72 models and getting seated position right is a fiddly business.

More generally, a set of 8th Army sappers and engineers, the sappers lifting mines and the engineers maintaining vehicles, would be very useful indeed.

Crew figures , what is needed, well sitting driving , sitting observing, sitting firing a weapon,preferably a Lewis gun or Vickers K , these cover the seated positions in trucks and Jeeps. The trucks had a third crew man in the back, on lookout, or firing a Lewis, Vickers mmg ,Vickers K , Boyes at , or latterly a Browning 50 cal , the last truck carried an Italian 20 mm gun with a two man crew and was the only truck with a four man crew. There was also a medical truck, radio truck, Mechanics truck carrying the specifics for their purpose but all had three men and all were armed to the teeth. While making figures for another manufacturers model could be challenging , getting the measurements is not that hard, buy one and make it,or ask someone who has, but remember we are modelers so we can make square pegs fit round holes if we are inclined to.

You are right about needing drivers/crew for LRDG vehicles. The best I could do was to find Milicast 1/76 British drivers like set fig084. The rest of my drivers were scrounged from other kits I've had for years.I'd like to see figures firing machine guns too.

Bob

GC
Personally, I think the masters for the two sets of \"At Rest\" and \"Ambush\" so far are pretty stunning. But I\'d like to see a set like the following to excite me to buy into the theme. There are so many actual photos of the actual men they really deserve to be immortalized in 1/72. If only ...

* Drivers sculpted to actually fit into existing 1/72 model vehicles - Trucks - Jeeps
* Separate Gunners sculpted to actually be shooting the various guns in the vehicles
* Separate Machine guns sculpted to be able to be mounted into existing model/snap-together vehicles
* This theme would be alot of fun to do if I had the men and guns to use in existing hard plastic vehicles. Actual model vehicles, trucks and jeeps, that come with guns are really expensive and hard to find. I could make my own LRDG sets out of nice snap together vehicles already on the market for a really reasonble cost, that is if Strelets provided guns and mounts to put in existing model vehicles.

I hope there will be a third set :slightly_smiling_face:
LRDG crews and attack troops especially if provided with early period vehicles could be used Vs Italian Saharian troops equipped with special purpose desert trucks TL 37 and even camels..not to forget the Free French Saharian units...there are two fantastic book about those small clashes with small maps, Toes and descriptions that calls for perfect small wargame scenario:

https://www.amazon.it/INCIDENT-AT-JEBEL-SHERIF-SPECIAL/dp/0620420103

https://www.lalibrairie.com/livres/l-odyssee-de-la-colonne-leclerc--les-francais-libres-au-combat-sur-le-front-autonome-du-tchad-1940-43_0-145401_9782913903852.html

for that purpose i was in search of appropriate British/Commonwealth minis..untill know i had some few, limited poses, Foundry 20mm...but those are great

By the way which are and were i can find possibly in Europe, please, those cheap "snap together" vehicles that you mentioned, that could already be used to equip the LRDG minis ?

thanks

Someone (okay me), should mention that these men are dead-solid-perfect for the Israeli War of Independence period, especially the Israeli Palmach commandos. The figures in Arab dress or berets would also work very well as Palestinian Arab irregulars and maybe even Arab Legion.

Just found on Ebay some 3D printed SAS jeeps and LRDG Chevrolet trucks, very reasonably priced from Portugal, just ordered a couple to see how they are in the flesh. The same seller does lots of other 1/72 stuff that looks a lot better than some of the 3D printed stuff I have seen on sale.