Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SAS in real life

Paint dog
Baratheon
I like Hollywood-esque nonsense. I wish Strelets would do a US 7th Cavalry set straight out of the old Western war movies like this!
Actually, the real thing was pretty dramatic.

https://www.historynet.com/asking-for-trouble-the-long-range-desert-group.htm

This is the most famous but not the only air field raid:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_on_Sidi_Haneish_Airfield

When you examine the exploits of the LRDG, SAS & SBS, the phrase "stranger than fiction" applies. Certainly the men and their achievements were larger than life.

donald
I think you would like the book 'Parachute Padre' (published 1951) J.F. McLuskey MC who was parachuted into occupied France as chaplin with the SAS. It's a thoughtful book and shows what pressure such troops were under and what happens when mistakes are made.. They certainly were not the SAS trash as described by one of the contributors

Re: SAS in ambush

Baratheon
I like Hollywood-esque nonsense. I wish Strelets would do a US 7th Cavalry set straight out of the old Western war movies like this!
I think there is plenty of space in this hobby for the 'Hollywood-esque', and let's not be too straight-laced about this. Examples of film-influenced sets could range from Bibical themes through Robin Hood and his Merry men (remember the old Airfix set, much used by medieval modellers and wargamers and possibly the most popular medieval set in 1/76-1/72 yet produced), through The Three Musketeers and Sharpe's Napoleonic escapades through to, obviously WW2.

Strelets have to make sets that are both accurate and which will sell, and for the most part I think they manage to do this. Despite the old British War comic undertones I am sure this new set will sell well.

Minuteman
Baratheon
I think there is plenty of space in this hobby for the 'Hollywood-esque', and let's not be too straight-laced about this. Examples of film-influenced sets could range from Bibical themes through Robin Hood and his Merry men (remember the old Airfix set, much used by medieval modellers and wargamers and possibly the most popular medieval set in 1/76-1/72 yet produced), through The Three Musketeers and Sharpe's Napoleonic escapades through to, obviously WW2.

Strelets have to make sets that are both accurate and which will sell, and for the most part I think they manage to do this. Despite the old British War comic undertones I am sure this new set will sell well.
Personally, I have no interest in any Commando set.

But generally speaking, I'm with Mr Minuteman on this one.

These days we have means to discover to which degree a set is historically accurate, and then can decide to buy it or not. Clearly shows the value of Plasticsoldierreview.com, and of fora like these.

Regards, Pa

by the way: http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/mgs.html

Not my era but i see absolutely no harm in making these figures and think they are amazing.

As for "Hollywood" or figures made in a dramatic manner, why not?? Crikey even i could use the dramatic for my Waterloo diorama i want to build, i mean the fall of La Haye Sainte as the KGL ran out of ammo & went more hand to hand, then theres closing the North gate at Hougoumont....all dramatic events which did not just involve men politely performing standard battlefield tactics!!

The whole point is events like these were dramatic (the stuff of Hollywood) and therefore require dramatic figures in our hobby!!

I think this set captures the effect brilliantly and conjures up all sorts of sneaky missions.
Maybe they are sneaking onto an enemy airfield to sabotage desert Luftwaffe Stukas or looking to blow an enemy fuel depot to kingdom come!!

Me too. Dismounted Hollywood cavalry, please.

Truthsayer
More Hollywood-eque nonsense unfortunately. "Raid on Rommel" to go with the equally fantasy "Beau Geste" and "Rif" sets. Hopefully at some point Strelets will return to their mission statement of producing interesting HISTORICAL subjects that have not been covered before.
I have bought all those sets which you seem to have disdain for. I have little knowledge about the FFL or LRDG but they are something different , but they will be FUN to paint and a large number of modellers will enjoy these sets . I still think the Airfix Robin Hood set (along with their French, British and German WW1 sets) were something specially.

As for 'Hollywood-eque nonsense' this has been happening throughout history - history has always been rewritten or painted based on current attitudes. The accuracy of Longfellow's "Paul Revere's Ride" or Tennyson's 'Charge of the light brigade' are classical examples of rewriting history and are on par with Hollywood's finest presentations ie Laughton's Captain Blighs, 1st officer Murdock of the Titanic or Errol flynn's Charge of the light brigade on the NW frontier!

RCD
Truthsayer
More Hollywood-eque nonsense unfortunately. \"Raid on Rommel\" to go with the equally fantasy \"Beau Geste\" and \"Rif\" sets. Hopefully at some point Strelets will return to their mission statement of producing interesting HISTORICAL subjects that have not been covered before.
I have bought all those sets which you seem to have disdain for. I have little knowledge about the FFL or LRDG but they are something different , but they will be FUN to paint and a large number of modellers will enjoy these sets . I still think the Airfix Robin Hood set (along with their French, British and German WW1 sets) were something specially.

As for 'Hollywood-eque nonsense' this has been happening throughout history - history has always been rewritten or painted based on current attitudes. The accuracy of Longfellow's "Paul Revere's Ride" or Tennyson's 'Charge of the light brigade' are classical examples of rewriting history and are on par with Hollywood's finest presentations ie Laughton's Captain Blighs, 1st officer Murdock of the Titanic or Errol flynn's Charge of the light brigade on the NW frontier!

Oh it's RCD. Loves to constantly wax lyrical - quite rightly - about endless nazi sets from the likes of Caesar. Jokes about how they will be making sets of nazi figures taking a dump on the latrine or picking their nose. Doesn't seem to have a problem with the ever-expanding British empire sets including a recent one with Hollywood "SAS" trash sitting on their arses, drinking tea and scratching their...(what was the name of that Sex Pistols album?) "Hypocrite moi? Perish the thought!"

Mr Truthsayer, I am trying to understand your point of view (if there is any).
The only thing I could say is that it is possible for you to think that David Irving has written the most true history of all the historians.
Are you a revisionist of ww2 history?
Why British special forces isn't a must for our hobby, but "WWII German Command Staff with Kübelwagen (and with a German chick)" is??? Yes I loved Caesar's figures and I have bought almost every one of them, but I think, LRDG and SAS was a real gap for ww2 and now it is ready to be completed, at last...

Jokes about how they will be making sets of nazi figures taking a dump on the latrine or picking their nose. Doesn't seem to have a problem with the ever-expanding British empire sets including a recent one with Hollywood "SAS" trash sitting on their arses, drinking tea and scratching their...(what was the name of that Sex Pistols album?) "Hypocrite moi? Perish the thought!"

From this inaccurate bile I assume this is the same anglophobic 'gentleman' that was banned the other week as the style is identical!

PS The DAK mortar set is outstanding.

RCD

From this inaccurate bile I assume this is the same anglophobic 'gentleman' that was banned the other week as the style is identical!

Agreed on both counts. 'Truthslayer' does sound remarkably like 'Master Kunz' and therefore should be headed in the same direction.

No space on this Form for political nonsense in my view.

Yes, the DAK mortar set is outstanding indeed.

Sorry for being so late to this thread, been away fishing. Any way back to business, the only thing "Hollywood" is the Sten gun, they were not used in the desert, but were in films. Everything else is pretty much spot on for all three sets. The subject as we all know is close to my heart, the Western desert has been under represented in our hobby for too long. These sets go some way to correcting that,but as we have discussed there are other "gaps" to fill for all the participants, and if these sell well and I am very confident they will our host will be more inclined to fill them. I am sure our hosts have also been encouraged by the overwhelmingly positive comments both here and all over the net about this range of figures,so much so that the single voice of derision can be ignored absolutely.

Minuteman
RCD

From this inaccurate bile I assume this is the same anglophobic \'gentleman\' that was banned the other week as the style is identical!

Agreed on both counts. \'Truthslayer\' does sound remarkably like \'Master Kunz\' and therefore should be headed in the same direction.

Amen to all what Minuteman said!

Minuteman
RCD

Agreed on both counts. 'Truthslayer' does sound remarkably like 'Master Kunz' and therefore should be headed in the same direction.

Truthsayer was banned here and the old hat forum some years ago, for rudeness ,anti social posts, unreasonable criticism, persistent negativity etc etc , he is indeed a Brit, but like our old friend Hank he can change a name but not his attitude. It took longer for me to work out, as his true colours have only been shown in recent weeks. The man behind the pseudonym is I am 90% sure, Huw Williams .

I assume the "Hollywood" charge relates to some of the very dramatic posing.

Well, I don't mind a bit of Hollywood; I also like more pedestrian historical accuracy and these sets have a bit of both so... struggling to see a problem.

I'm sure there will be plenty of painters and dioramists who love the action and brew up poses but there's still enough here for the wargamers building armies. Something for everyone.

Minuteman
'Truthslayer'
:laughing: That's very good, I enjoyed that.

It seems to me there are several usernames on the various forums that are used by regular members (or ex members as Alan suggests) for the sole purpose of bagging the host and their products or attacking other members; it's dishonest and dishonourable. These posts always seem, to me at least, to have a tone that suggests they are Divine ruling being passed down from some higher authority. That really is offensive.

Valid criticism is fine. Sometimes I think criticism is unfair but I respect peoples right to have a different opinion to me about what is fair, as long as they express that opinion under their regular forum name. Having a false identity just for sticking the boot in is shabby.

Unfortunately Graeme these "Trolls" as I think they are termed, are throughout all social media etc.

Far too many keyboard warriors out there. Been a victim of it myself as I imagine many here have. Its why I dont use Facebook or Twitter.
Luckily its rare on here.

As for criticism, sure, if constructive as it helps a manufacturer improve or correct mistakes (well if the manufacturer actually cares about keeping its customers and product quality it does!) I can think of a couple of figure manufacturers who havent done this or continue not to and are paying the price.

What criticism shouldnt be is personal attacks or name calling.

The divine attitude was one of the give away`s, He joined the unofficial Hat facebook group a little while ago , I gave the other admins a heads up and said I would deal with him if he played up, but he left the group, presumably because the Admins all remember him,and his antics, I was going to check his IP address to make 100% sure he was Truthsayer, hence 90% .

Apologies to Huw, he is not the guilty party, wrong nationality.