Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Desert war sets

The DAK set is sublime I am going to buy it even though I am a normally a Nappy fan.
It would be nice if strelets did some more 8th army /DAK in the future I am sure they would be good sellers as the desert war has a big following.:wink:

Richard
Hi
There used to be a company called Raventhorpe Miniatures, sadly long gone, to America perhaps who did some of these 20mm figures but costs and limited availability are against getting these elsewhere.
Now, how about some new sets for other periods? Here's hoping, but will I live long enough to see them?
Stay safe folks!
Raventhorpe did a very good range for WW2 but the figures were too large and bulky to mix well with many plastics, and even their Breda 20mm dual purpose AA/AT gun was too large and looked like some sort of 37mm weapon.

Italians definitely required. A Mortar set with a mix of figures which could double as artillery crew would be very useful indeed.

Italians definitely required, a common or garden set of infantry would be great if we could have some heavy weapons and askaris that would be excellent.

10/10 Shame about the Sten, but if were not there they would be perfect.

Alan Buckingham
10/10 Shame about the Sten, but if were not there they would be perfect.
So your scale goes to 11/10 Alan?! :grinning:

They are good looking figures, aren't they?

Regards, James

How could I focus on a negative with those three sets ! but it is there, I blame sea f sand`s wardrobe department .

Early War Miniatures do Askari, Colonial Cavalry etc. in metal:
https://earlywarminiatures.com/product-category/early-war-1939-1942/early-war-1939-to-late-1942-italian-army-1935-to-1943/

Haven't seen them myself since this is not my area of interest but might help somone else. Regards, Pa

Hi all
I've seen the colonial etc figures on Early War Miniatures, but the problem is that there are only a few poses - I'd ideally like to see a set with a wider range of poses, maybe even camels, horses, mules etc, the usual or not so usual, extras!
Re desert vehicles, I did find on ebay a few days ago a quite extensive range of 3d printed WW2 vehicles etc from somebody in Portugal!
Fool that I am, I didn't make a note of them and, and then I had a PC problem, and I've lost a lot of data - not very techno savvy!
So far, I've had no success in tracking them down again, but watch this space!
There were some interesting subjects, including softskins for the Middle East, AA guns etc, and some obscure French experimental tanks.............
Stay safe folks

...me, too!!!!!:heart_eyes: Need more money for Christmas!!!

Three excellently sculpted sets.
The LRDG chaps in the Ambush set are some of the best 'action' characters I've seen.
As much as I like the DAK fellas I would much sooner see some scruffy Italian soldiers.
I can but dream . . .sigh

You need the enemies.

Murat
Three excellently sculpted sets.
The LRDG chaps in the Ambush set are some of the best 'action' characters I've seen.
As much as I like the DAK fellas I would much sooner see some scruffy Italian soldiers.
I can but dream . . .sigh

Scruffy Italian ORs. I believe the officer corps looked after themselves very well & looked quite spiffy.

My Uncle Robert (in the Black Watch with the 8th Army) had stories of capturing Italian officers' supplies that wouldn't be out of place in a gourmet restaurant & fashion-house. Fur-lined capes and cases of pate de foi gras.

And you are correct: the LRDG targeted the Italians as often, if not more so, than the Germans.

donald

Re: You need the enemies.

Good points Donald,
I believe that there are quite a few WWII Italian Officers in 1/72nd plastic. They are smartly dressed as are their troops. The Italian ordinary ranks were short of everything by the second year of the desert campaign. Very little was getting past Malta (Convoy-wise) and the airlifts were minimal.
When I suggested 'scruffy' I had in mind characters in Great-coats and forage or woolly hats.
My father was in the LRDG and had tremendous respect for the Black Watch and often talked about their valour. He also had empathy for the Italians; for various reasons that I shan't go into on this forum as it probably isn't the right platform.
deid schaw

Pragmatism (& Italians)

When I started out wargaming, I would create a single side in a conflict, depending on my pals to do the other side.

Big mistake.

People move, lose interest & are just not available when you want a game & it's hard to wargame Waterloo when only the French turn up.

So, pragmatism has taught me to build both sides in every conflict. You need Italians to oppose the LRDG: simple as that. Being a bit "campaign worn" would only be realistic.

donald

(BTW I very much like Italians too. A wonderful people. As my wife is Italian, you can see that I may be biassed).

Re: Pragmatism (& Italians)

Paint dog
When I started out wargaming, I would create a single side in a conflict, depending on my pals to do the other side.

Big mistake.

People move, lose interest & are just not available when you want a game & it's hard to wargame Waterloo when only the French turn up.

So, pragmatism has taught me to build both sides in every conflict. You need Italians to oppose the LRDG: simple as that. Being a bit "campaign worn" would only be realistic.

donald

(BTW I very much like Italians too. A wonderful people. As my wife is Italian, you can see that I may be biassed).
Me too. I've collected 'both sides' for all of my armies since the earliest days of collecting Airfix OO/HO figures; that company's 'playsets' with both sides fighting over a piece of the inspiring-if-basic Airfix scenery, be it a gun emplacement or pontoon bridge or a Roman Fort, has something to do with it.

Despite the efforts of Italian figure producers, there are many useful sets of Italian soldiers for the western desert campaign that have yet to be made. Hopefully Strelets will note this and oblige us. Sets of the quality of the LRDG and the DAK Mortar set showing some Italians would be ideal!