Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Let's Talk About Romans

I was just reading a section on Plastic Soldier Review where is said the three eras which are "well covered" are Napoleonic, World War II, and Ancient Rome. I almost spit out my coffee and laughed!
As you guys know there are notable (albeit small compared to other periods) gaps in first two, but there are ridiculously large egregious gaps in Roman history that span centuries! Some literally have no dedicated sets at all (Third Century crisis for one), and other important eras which are quite weak. This brings me to my query.

I am not per say a big fan of the Romans in general (I would prefer Bronze/Iron Age or even Archaic and early Classical Greeks in an ideal world), but even I must admit that the life and career of one Gaius Julius Caesar was quite interesting. So my question is, how do you guys usually seek to assemble a Caesarian legion for the Gallic and Civil Wars?

I was thinking to start with STRM102's nice marching set as the base, then tracking down the command sprue of ITA6021 to acquire some musicians, commanders, and a standard bearer. After that I was a bit more stumped. Cavalry particularly for the Civil Wars seems to be poor, although the two main Numidian sets (HaT, Zvezda) and HaT's Celtic cav would have been common enough auxiliaries depending on the region in question. It seems as if bow and sling duties also need to be delegated to the 'barbarian' contingents, and for artillery the only semi-pertinent pieces with crew seem to be the ones in HAT8035. This set is meant for the Punic Wars, but from what my blurry eyes can see the hamata armour they wear may still be applicable for the 1st century BC. Am I missing something here or are these the main relevant sets for the life of Caesar?

P.S.- Hey, Strelets, Age of Empires themed figures. Just saying. :laughing:

Re: Let's Talk About Romans

Dear TheBabylonian109,

alas, we are fans of Empire Total War:wink:
Best regards,

Strelets

Re: Let's Talk About Romans

:grin: :+1: