Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strelets, Christmas is Coming...DAK support group? And Italians...

Allan from Glasgow
Hi Strelets,

Can you let us know what Santa will be bringing us Xmas it would be great to get our orders in with our suppliers. looks like Alan will get his LRDG and the Russians are coming but any other news would be greatly appreciated.

bfn

Allan
I am confident that some early 18th century horsemen will gallop to Santa's rescue around Christmas time....

But if we are talking about soldiers for a dry and dusty environment, what about the DAK support group. I'm sure that master figures were shown a while back, and the need for German and Italian troops for the desert 1940-43 is very much there.

Hi Strelets,

I agree with the gentlemen who have voted in favour of Italian troops in desert gear. There are some sets which depict Italian army forces at the battle of El Alamein, but still quite nothing regarding the early fights in Libya and Ethiopia.

I will definitely buy your LRDG, but please take into consideration such requests.

Cheers,

Alessandro

I would second the Italians, what is currently available is too mixed. What we need is solid set of standard Italian infantry in desert gear.

I second the motion (or fourth or fifth it?) for Italian Infantry in North Africa. Especially the late 1940 early 1941 with some pith helmets (like your WWII Italian artillery). Unfortunately there is a scarcity of Italians, only because Italeri dropped the ball and made their figures too big, and thus incompatible. And Waterloo 1815 has a nice set or two for El Alamein, but not many poses.

I really like the 8th Army heavy weapons, and the Indian Infantry/heavy weapons (they will be used in North Africa even though your box art suggested use in Malaya/Singapore?) make up part of my 8th Army XXX Corps.

It is a shame your New Zealanders aren't more geared towards North Africa (given with their large contribution), maybe a set more specific for North Africa (helmets, shorts, etc). Or better yet, just make 6th or 9th Australian for North Africa. I would even encourage a couple poses in the Aussie bush hat (for certain poses, but the bulk of them need to be in helmets, and their shorts tend to be rolled up higher, and of course, their accents are slightly different).

If your argument is there are enough 8th Army sets (though quite a lot of them are Highlanders) then just do the 8th Army Desert artillery with crews (shorts, maybe some shirtless), I don't even care if you include a gun. I can get 25 pdrs and 6 pdrs from Airfix.

Man, we sure are relentless! You can never satisfy us! We always want more! And right now! (but our biological clocks are ticking!)

I have been reluctant to do my hint hint (ie LRDG/SAS) for Italians, and 8th army sets, but delighted other are. Here are some suggestions Engineers , laying and clearing mines was a huge job for all armies in the desert, like the idea of more Anzacs in proper desert attire, summer/winter or night. The nights were cold ,particularly in the winter months often dropping to single figures and close to Zero on occasions. Revell did a couple of good winter/night poses, but there are not many about and they do have a different look to other war zones of the period.

I agree with Alan, some engineers would be awesome since that was such a huge part of their job (both laying them and removing them). We have an ESCI DAK carrying a mine, we have an Airfix 8th Army with a mine detector, an Airfix DAK with a shovel, we have a couple Wat 1815 Italians, one Folgore crawling with a mine and one Italian with a shovel. So, not the same army. A set with mine layers/removers, prodding the ground with bayonets, mine sweepers, guys with picks and shovels, maybe a pneumatic drill, all possibillities.