Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Let me pick your brains.....

Centrifugal casting is really only suitable for large batches of items and it needs to be balanced, so a circular mould in form with a central poring area, as a result it can be expensive on silican rubber... not really suitable for a one off...

In the past I used grapfite powder to aid with casting in simple two piece rubber moulds, dust the mold liberally and make sure your metal is at the optimal temperature before casting, a large "plug" helps as well... .-)

Hi Alan, maybe a bit late responding here, but I have cast a fair bit of metal: first with the old range of Prince August Napoleonic moulds, then with my own creations. You might have gathered much of this already from Youtube etc, but some suggestions:

*The mould may perform better once warmed up a bit. I used to warm my moulds by placing them around the hot plate (n.b. 'around', not 'on'!) while the metal melts. I know others warm theirs in the oven.

*Try varying the clamping pressure used to join the mould halves together. Use boards to spread the pressure evenly across the moulds.

*Different white metal alloys will have different flow properties.

*Lightly dust the inside faces of the mould with talc and knock off any excess prior to casting.

*I would avoid centrifugal casting at this scale, it may well solve your problems, but a lot of hassle for just this. I would tap the mould smartly onto the counter just after the pour/tap it with some pliers (taking care not to spill it etc).

Thank you everyone ,fingers crossed this is sorted, but all your help has been appreciated.

If this does work and you perfect the art of casting wheels, Alan, there may be a niche business waiting in the wings....eg: AB Model Wheels? There is a market out there I'm sure.

Well I suspect the market is there, I remember helping a guy out in Canada years ago on the Hat forum, he was after wagon type wheels and I sent all I had, nothing that would have helped me had I kept them though. One of the guys on Bennos where I asked the same question suggested using resin in the same mould and showed an example, and resin may be the answer. But for me my mould making days are on hold.