Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Hoorah for Baratheon

Baratheon
That's ok Donald. The list in the poll is actually all Strelet's range so far. Maybe one day they might possibly expand into those...
I hope I don't sound like I'm whining.

I support & respect your polling efforts.

donald

Re: ANOTHER - ONE QUESTION POLL!

Sorry, like Paint dog I am unable to answer this question.

Unfortunately a Poll such as this will always attract a degree of criticism along the lines of 'why didn't you include ABC but why did include XYZ' etc. It is rather strange to have one vote only for 'Ancient' (a period that spans some 3,000 years and the whole world), and then three different categories for very specific European first half of C18th wars (WoSS; GNW; and the relatively tiny (in comparison) Jacobite rebellions)...but then not include either the Seven Years War or the American War of Independence, the Seven Years War being a major global conflict taking in Europe, North America and the Indian sub-continent to name but three geographical campaign areas. And why not include the French and Indian War or the American War of Independence when the War of 1812 is included?

And besides, it depends with me on what year it is...5 years ago it was all WW2. Last year it was WoSS; and until the British WoSS cavalry arrive, it is now the Thirty Years War. I am a fickle and changeable soul.

Thanks Minuteman, your comments are useful...there will be missed ones (and I'm keeping note) - the list I used mirrors Strelet's current range.

By the way, there was a great TV show when I was growing up in the UK, back in the 70s, called "The Flashing Blade" from France (dubbed into English) - it was about the 'War of the Mantuan Succession' (during the 'Thirty Years War')...are you aware of this?

So, hard , WW2 ,just based on time reading painting etc, but Zulu war rather than colonial and a much harder choice,the campaigns of Napoleon would have been a close third.

Baratheon

By the way, there was a great TV show when I was growing up in the UK, back in the 70s, called "The Flashing Blade" from France (dubbed into English) - it was about the 'War of the Mantuan Succession' (during the 'Thirty Years War')...are you aware of this?
The Flashing Blade ...Yes!! I remember it well, and when I and a friend 'got into' model soldiers in the 1970s we wished and wished that Airfix would make musketeers, swordsmen and pikemen. Then we discovered that Miniature Figurines which had a shop in nearby Southampton did!....but in metal, and at a much higher price.

Happy memories!!

Minuteman
Baratheon

The Flashing Blade ...Yes!! I remember it well, and when I and a friend 'got into' model soldiers in the 1970s we wished and wished that Airfix would make musketeers, swordsmen and pikemen. Then we discovered that Miniature Figurines which had a shop in nearby Southampton did!....but in metal, and at a much higher price.

Happy memories!!
Flashing blade, just you tubed the opening scene and song, straight back to School holiday`s ....wonderful, alas it was hard to impossible to follow, but Robinson Crusoe ,will that was something else, thanks for jogging my memory.

Hi Baratheon and all
you certainly keep the forum interesting!
I'm not very techno-savvy and wary of links to polls etc, especially as I was fairly recently a victim of ID fraud etc.
Re favourite periods, well for me it's always been WW2, which I can brek down by theatres, top Middle East, second western Europe 44/45, third Russian Front, almost a separate war!
Secondly, American Civil War, which I'm currently working on (Zouaves), and thirdly American War of Independence. Also, WW1. As I said earlier my collection covers almost twenty periods and I don't really see myself getting into any more periods especially as I'm 67 next week, and now receiving pensions so I have to make defence and budget cuts.
Having said that, I expect, and hope, to Carry on Collecting into my dotage.
As for WW2, it's curious to see that nobody has commented on the American anti-tank squad, and that makes me wonder about sales, and logically leading into prospects for other WW2 subjects. I'll buy at least one, and probably several.
Before I close I'd like to thank all those who offered painting tips, and now time and energy permitting, I'm working on those Zouaves - I may even get a few more figures painted while I have time left to me. I'd love to do a great job, or even half-way decent on the Strelets Big Box Roman Legion set but that's far beyond my abilities.
I watch the threads with great interest!
Stay safe all
Richard

It's very hard to say because I've changed a lot in my life. Passionate about history, I went through periods with certainties: Roman Empire, then a more individualistic period: 12th-14th century. Then I had the roughest period: Genghis Khan and the Russian principalities. The thread of Arianne, the common thread is and remains the Napoleonic period. Currently, my focus is the Anglo-French colonial period of the 19th century (the Rif War is one of them, although for many reasons it may relate to the wars of the 20th century). So, today, I will vote for the colonial period (Zulu Wars, Boer War, Conquests of Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco Campaign, etc. . . . . ) But for tomorrow, everything is or remains open to my mind . . . . . .

:slightly_smiling_face:

Baratheon
Hi all,

Here's another poll - maybe for some, a difficult "Sophie's Choice" type question. But lets see what the most popular era or campaign is among us...mine has to be 'Ancient' (for Imperial Rome)...

https://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=5f3917a9e4b048bb327436de

Good morning Baratheon,

In the spirit of your question " ... the most popular era or campaign ... " currently for me that I plan to spend my free time and money on now and also most new future sets would be:

#1 CAMPAIGN = RIF War - FFL (Beau Geste style) and Arab sets.

#2 CAMPAIGN = COLONIAL = Boer War all sets.

Note 1: I've invested heavily in the CRIMEAN Range and IMPERIAL ROMANS already, but they are largely completed, so no future money is planned to be spent on them.

Note 2: There are other new future sets I'll buy one box of just to have, but not multiple boxes.

You'll have to add my vote by hand, and I hope this helps!

Well now we know why there are Zillions of WW2 Germans and all the other WW2 figures made. Also no Sci Fi or Modern 20th 21st century

Like others have mentioned, my favourite periods are not listed-French and Indian War/SYW Europe/AWI. However, out of those listed my main interest is WSS. Before Strelets released their WSS range I had no interest in it and knew almost nothing about the conflict, but seeing the wonderful figures produced drew my attention (and money).

my favourite period for the last several years is 1660 to 1720s covering various conflicts like Nine years war, Jacobites & Monmouth rebellions, WSS , GNW, Venetians versus Ottomans etc, have also amassed ACW, Naps, AWI , SYW, ECW, ZULU War, Colonial inc NWF and Boer Wars, FPW , Crimea, forces over 6 decades of collecting , gaming in both plastic & metal 20mm figures, have a few smaller forces like Schelswig-Holstein 1840s and others that took my fancy, hate to think how many figures in collection
with WSS forces there are so many nations involved, many smaller German , Italian States involved , so many scenarios you can re-create even early Colonial America using WSS/GNW figures as most uniforms are fairly generic , really just a good paint job, and in recent years a vast amount of info on the period is available either in books or on internet
cheers Old John

Completed poll and hands down its Napoleonic for me.

I suppose my 2nd choice would be AWI if and when some good sets for this era get made.

3rd choice would be ACW.

When i was a kid however, i was also heavily into WW2. I did still have Napoleonic figures (the old Airfix La Haye Sainte etc),but I enjoyed making kits more back then though.
My bedroom ceiling couldnt be seen due to the amount of 1/72 fighters and bombers hanging from it!! There was definately 5 De Havilland Mosquitoes (my personal fav WW2 aircraft). Then my shelves had loads of model ships from WW2 and then there was tanks, field guns and all sorts other vehicles, along with god knows how many soldiers. I dare say there is still some fallen soldiers and destroyed tanks hiding deep in the garden!!!!

Sadly I cannot contribute to the poll results either.

My true love is the ECW/30YW, but I am also playing a lot of Fantasy (bizarre with a strong 'historical twist' - Heroic Ages Greek and nations around that time, Scyths, Minoans and Amazons.

Steve Pickstock
Sadly I cannot contribute to the poll results either.

My true love is the ECW/30YW, but I am also playing a lot of Fantasy (bizarre with a strong 'historical twist' - Heroic Ages Greek and nations around that time, Scyths, Minoans and Amazons.
Well, it may not have figured much in this Forum for a while, but how about Strelets think about the religious wars in Europe (say, 1580-1650, so a big time period). Mars are the only manufacturer actively covering this, and while some of their figures are OK others are poor and anatomically challenged to say the least. Revell have withdrawn all but their cavalry set, and the A Call to Arms sets are nice but limited by lack of cavalry, lack of poses and inadequately-robust weaponry.

The opportunity is there, and it could be further spiced up by reference to the magic and mystery (some fairly dark) of a time that featured witchfinders, sorcerers, commanders reputedly in league with the devil (eg: Wallenstein), out-and-out heros such as Gustavus Adolphus and Prince Rupert, French Musketeers etc, religious fanatics, as well as a good number of true 'villains'.....often in tall and overbearing puritan hats.

And I'd challenge any manufacturer to create a set (or sets) depicting a 1630s-40s Wagon train with all the hangers on that any army of the time would trail behind it. What a diorama that would make!

American Civil War is first with me. I've tried other eras but found the ACW my favorite

Friends, unfortunately my country does not have a tradition in military history like Europe and the USA, mainly. Not that I would like my country to experience wars that, in reality, are always cruel. My main motivator for toy soldiers is aesthetic. However, I like to assemble dioramas, paint miniatures and table wargames. The historical period I like the most is the Napoleonic period. I have thousands of miniatures from that period, painted by me over the years. I love this hobby, which always makes me go back to my childhood.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Here's a quick update on main poll results so far:

Ancient = 5% (2)
Dark Ages = 2% (1)
Medieval = 2% (1)
War of the Spanish Succession = 7% (3)
Great Northern War = 0% (0)
Jacobite Rebellions = 5% (2)
Napoleonic = 34% (15)
War of 1812 = 0% (0)
Crimean War = 0% (0)
American Civil War = 5% (2)
Wild West = 0% (0)
Colonial = 9% (4)
Russo-Turkish war = 0% (0)
WWI = 5% (2)
Russian Civil War = 2% (1)
Rif War = 2% (1)
WWII = 23% (10)

Total votes so far = 44
(this includes 2 "in-thread-only" votes from GC and Richard - let me know if I've missed anyone else)

At the moment, the clear favourite era/campaign is 'Napoleonic' commanding just over 1/3 of the votes, followed by 'WWII' with nearly 1/4 of the votes...I'll also tally up the other unlisted ones in a few days.

Omg mine is varied

American war of independence
American civil war
Napoleonic
Ww2.... favourite paras
Indo china

My favourite period - the Spanish Civil War - is not on your list. I suppose that my next favourite period is Napoleonic/Peninsular War/East Coast Campaign or English Civil War - also not on your list.

No worries Andrew - I'm working on a new poll coming soon so stay tuned! Here's a quick update on the main poll results so far:

Ancient = 6% (4)
Dark Ages = 2% (1)
Medieval = 2% (1)
War of the Spanish Succession = 6% (4)
Great Northern War = 2% (1)
Jacobite Rebellions = 5% (3)
Napoleonic = 34% (21)
War of 1812 = 0% (0)
Crimean War = 0% (0)
American Civil War = 3% (2)
Wild West = 0% (0)
Colonial = 11% (7)
Russo-Turkish war = 0% (0)
WWI = 5% (3)
Russian Civil War = 2% (1)
Rif War = 2% (1)
WWII = 21% (13)

Total votes so far = 62
(this includes 2 "in-thread-only" votes from GC and Richard - let me know if I've missed anyone else)

So, still the clear favourite era/campaign is 'Napoleonic', followed by 'WWII', and in third position 'Colonial'! Honorable mentions include, 7 Years War, 30 Years War, English Civil War, American War of Independence and Spanish Civil War (1-2 mentions a piece).

Thanks all, and a new poll coming Sunday!

Ancients are up to 9%, yea!! :smiley:

Very interesting to see that Dark Ages/Medieval is only receiving 2% of the vote on the poll. Vast swaths of Medieval history remain uncovered (just look at the campaigns on Age of Empires II and its more recent expansions for some ideas), but with only 2% interest I can see why the 1/72 scale companies are avoiding them like the plague. Well done Baratheon on all the polls, very anthropologically informative. :sunglasses: