Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: ANOTHER - ONE QUESTION POLL!

Like others have mentioned, my favourite periods are not listed-French and Indian War/SYW Europe/AWI. However, out of those listed my main interest is WSS. Before Strelets released their WSS range I had no interest in it and knew almost nothing about the conflict, but seeing the wonderful figures produced drew my attention (and money).

my favourite period for the last several years is 1660 to 1720s covering various conflicts like Nine years war, Jacobites & Monmouth rebellions, WSS , GNW, Venetians versus Ottomans etc, have also amassed ACW, Naps, AWI , SYW, ECW, ZULU War, Colonial inc NWF and Boer Wars, FPW , Crimea, forces over 6 decades of collecting , gaming in both plastic & metal 20mm figures, have a few smaller forces like Schelswig-Holstein 1840s and others that took my fancy, hate to think how many figures in collection
with WSS forces there are so many nations involved, many smaller German , Italian States involved , so many scenarios you can re-create even early Colonial America using WSS/GNW figures as most uniforms are fairly generic , really just a good paint job, and in recent years a vast amount of info on the period is available either in books or on internet
cheers Old John

Completed poll and hands down its Napoleonic for me.

I suppose my 2nd choice would be AWI if and when some good sets for this era get made.

3rd choice would be ACW.

When i was a kid however, i was also heavily into WW2. I did still have Napoleonic figures (the old Airfix La Haye Sainte etc),but I enjoyed making kits more back then though.
My bedroom ceiling couldnt be seen due to the amount of 1/72 fighters and bombers hanging from it!! There was definately 5 De Havilland Mosquitoes (my personal fav WW2 aircraft). Then my shelves had loads of model ships from WW2 and then there was tanks, field guns and all sorts other vehicles, along with god knows how many soldiers. I dare say there is still some fallen soldiers and destroyed tanks hiding deep in the garden!!!!

Sadly I cannot contribute to the poll results either.

My true love is the ECW/30YW, but I am also playing a lot of Fantasy (bizarre with a strong 'historical twist' - Heroic Ages Greek and nations around that time, Scyths, Minoans and Amazons.

Steve Pickstock
Sadly I cannot contribute to the poll results either.

My true love is the ECW/30YW, but I am also playing a lot of Fantasy (bizarre with a strong 'historical twist' - Heroic Ages Greek and nations around that time, Scyths, Minoans and Amazons.
Well, it may not have figured much in this Forum for a while, but how about Strelets think about the religious wars in Europe (say, 1580-1650, so a big time period). Mars are the only manufacturer actively covering this, and while some of their figures are OK others are poor and anatomically challenged to say the least. Revell have withdrawn all but their cavalry set, and the A Call to Arms sets are nice but limited by lack of cavalry, lack of poses and inadequately-robust weaponry.

The opportunity is there, and it could be further spiced up by reference to the magic and mystery (some fairly dark) of a time that featured witchfinders, sorcerers, commanders reputedly in league with the devil (eg: Wallenstein), out-and-out heros such as Gustavus Adolphus and Prince Rupert, French Musketeers etc, religious fanatics, as well as a good number of true 'villains'.....often in tall and overbearing puritan hats.

And I'd challenge any manufacturer to create a set (or sets) depicting a 1630s-40s Wagon train with all the hangers on that any army of the time would trail behind it. What a diorama that would make!

American Civil War is first with me. I've tried other eras but found the ACW my favorite

Friends, unfortunately my country does not have a tradition in military history like Europe and the USA, mainly. Not that I would like my country to experience wars that, in reality, are always cruel. My main motivator for toy soldiers is aesthetic. However, I like to assemble dioramas, paint miniatures and table wargames. The historical period I like the most is the Napoleonic period. I have thousands of miniatures from that period, painted by me over the years. I love this hobby, which always makes me go back to my childhood.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Here's a quick update on main poll results so far:

Ancient = 5% (2)
Dark Ages = 2% (1)
Medieval = 2% (1)
War of the Spanish Succession = 7% (3)
Great Northern War = 0% (0)
Jacobite Rebellions = 5% (2)
Napoleonic = 34% (15)
War of 1812 = 0% (0)
Crimean War = 0% (0)
American Civil War = 5% (2)
Wild West = 0% (0)
Colonial = 9% (4)
Russo-Turkish war = 0% (0)
WWI = 5% (2)
Russian Civil War = 2% (1)
Rif War = 2% (1)
WWII = 23% (10)

Total votes so far = 44
(this includes 2 "in-thread-only" votes from GC and Richard - let me know if I've missed anyone else)

At the moment, the clear favourite era/campaign is 'Napoleonic' commanding just over 1/3 of the votes, followed by 'WWII' with nearly 1/4 of the votes...I'll also tally up the other unlisted ones in a few days.

Omg mine is varied

American war of independence
American civil war
Napoleonic
Ww2.... favourite paras
Indo china

My favourite period - the Spanish Civil War - is not on your list. I suppose that my next favourite period is Napoleonic/Peninsular War/East Coast Campaign or English Civil War - also not on your list.

No worries Andrew - I'm working on a new poll coming soon so stay tuned! Here's a quick update on the main poll results so far:

Ancient = 6% (4)
Dark Ages = 2% (1)
Medieval = 2% (1)
War of the Spanish Succession = 6% (4)
Great Northern War = 2% (1)
Jacobite Rebellions = 5% (3)
Napoleonic = 34% (21)
War of 1812 = 0% (0)
Crimean War = 0% (0)
American Civil War = 3% (2)
Wild West = 0% (0)
Colonial = 11% (7)
Russo-Turkish war = 0% (0)
WWI = 5% (3)
Russian Civil War = 2% (1)
Rif War = 2% (1)
WWII = 21% (13)

Total votes so far = 62
(this includes 2 "in-thread-only" votes from GC and Richard - let me know if I've missed anyone else)

So, still the clear favourite era/campaign is 'Napoleonic', followed by 'WWII', and in third position 'Colonial'! Honorable mentions include, 7 Years War, 30 Years War, English Civil War, American War of Independence and Spanish Civil War (1-2 mentions a piece).

Thanks all, and a new poll coming Sunday!

Ancients are up to 9%, yea!! :smiley:

Very interesting to see that Dark Ages/Medieval is only receiving 2% of the vote on the poll. Vast swaths of Medieval history remain uncovered (just look at the campaigns on Age of Empires II and its more recent expansions for some ideas), but with only 2% interest I can see why the 1/72 scale companies are avoiding them like the plague. Well done Baratheon on all the polls, very anthropologically informative. :sunglasses: