Strelets Forum

Welcome to the Strelets Forum.
Please feel free to discuss any aspect of 1/72 scale plastic figures, not simply Strelets.
If you have any questions about our products then we will answer them here.

Strelets Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help Please

Alan Buckingham
PeterTheGreat
Alan Buckingham
Very valid , and I agree. I moderate so many pages these days I have lost count, the Pike fishing ones can be vicious and nothing in our toy soldier world gets close. That said our toy soldier world has one factor that the fishing groups generally don`t , and that is they are English language for all nationalities, and that can and does cause issue. Sometimes despite how very well everyone tries , I truly admire everyone who communicate`s in English but it is not the language they speak, however sometimes thing get lost in translation, and sometimes can sound rude or offensive to English speaking ears. So you have to be extra understanding and tolerant, because usually it`s not the intention to be rude or offensive. The exchanges often take place late in the evening when one or two glasses of wine/beer may have influenced what is said too. My feeling are that our community is to small to ban people over one off or rare altercations , save the bans for those who are persistent and just don`t take good advice.

Funny, the vast majority of readers of international hobby forums may interpret this in exactly the opposite way.
Unfortunately, it is often a few native English speakers who are problematic (imho).
A small group constantly follows the fallacy that the chosen lingua franca would also dictate a corresponding cultural orientation of such forums.
This is, of course, nothing more than self-constructed and completely absurd wishful thinking.

In fact, it is the overwhelming majority of non-native speakers who are extremely tolerant so far.
Actually, it should be the other way around?! :wink:
Peter, I am almost tempted to say "I rest my case " but I will resist the urge:smile: ...anyway , but the English speakers seeming to be more problematic may just be that there are more of them than Russian, Italian , French,German, Spanish etc. The subjects our host and others make is made by them and not us,irrespective of our nationality, they do however back subjects that sell. Strelets when asked about sales said that the most disappointing series as far as sales go , was the Russian Turkish war , a war that did not involve the English speaking nations and was not requested by them (I bought lots of Turks ,they make good Egyptians). Our own histories are usually the one`s we learn about, plus the English speaking world has Hollywood, and that often leads us down the toy soldier path, my own interest in all things Anglo Zulu war started with seeing Zulu at the cinema, Waterloo had the same effect, Sea of Sand started my interest in the LRDG .I can imagine the frustration of wanting a period covered but no one seems interested, in fact I don`t have to imagine it, over the last twenty years I have campaigned to get them made,confident that I am not the only Ten year old going on sixty who still wants them. So to summarize blame Hollywood and ten year old`s imagination and dreams.

In fact, I think the answer is in questioning. The minority is English-speaking. But the majority, is too dispersed, French, Spanish, Russian, German, Portuguese, and therefore too disparate. Therefore, there are not enough speakers to impose a unit. This majority of non-English speakers, on the other hand, are used to coping with each other. That's a certain tolerance. Anglophones, on the other hand, see this composition, this tolerance as a threat to their anglicisms and academicisms of vocabulary as well as syntax. Hence probably a certain rigor or intolerance. But I think, it would be necessary to unwind in order for this reflection to become more reasoned

:innocent: :wink:

Thanks for the help guys (and gals) just to let you know I did not post anything. Like l have never posted full stop to Bennos site. Just went to go on, the site asked me to log on/ sign in. Normally the site automatically logs me in So l sign in and and got a msg that l am permanently banned from the site.
The only time l have ever had a problem with any forum was years ago when I replied to a post praising a book written by David Irving. My reply stated that the book had been discredited by most of his peers and he had been banned from entering a number countries as they also thought the "facts" in the book were false.

Johnny
Thanks for the help guys (and gals) just to let you know I did not post anything. Like l have never posted full stop to Bennos site. Just went to go on, the site asked me to log on/ sign in. Normally the site automatically logs me in So l sign in and and got a msg that l am permanently banned from the site.
The only time l have ever had a problem with any forum was years ago when I replied to a post praising a book written by David Irving. My reply stated that the book had been discredited by most of his peers and he had been banned from entering a number countries as they also thought the "facts" in the book were false.

Seems likely your account as been de-activated for not posting registering again might re-activate:

From Bennos faq:

"I registered in the past but cannot login any more?!
It is possible an administrator has deactivated or deleted your account for some reason. Also, many boards periodically remove users who have not posted for a long time to reduce the size of the database. If this has happened, try registering again and being more involved in discussions."

Personally I've never heard of this as I would expect it to be based on the last time you visited and logged in rather then lack of posts, quite draconian really, though it may have something to do with new laws on personal info storage over long periods of time...

Off course it might be lost in translation as well...

Null Acht Funfzehn...

:wink:

Could be worse, I suppose, you could have been discussing a book by David Hamilton-Williams!

Hope you get back.

This anglophone thing; I wonder what drives popularity of periods and whether it has anything to do with English-speaking markets? I am guessing less than might once have been the case.

I tend to assume that much depended on the Good Ol' US of A, being presumably traditionally the biggest market. That explains, presumably, why the ACW is so popular, as opposed to the equally interesting, and arguably more colourful, European and South American conflicts of the period.

I assume that Napoleonics has been supported so well because, despite having only a limited North American connection, it has been embraced by US gamers as well as Brits and Europeans.

Further proof that tastes are not necessarily anglo-centric or concerned with North American themes is the relative neglect of the 7YW other than Prussian and Austrian forces in Euorpe. It is the global dimension that largely concerned the Brits (though I'm a fan of both Minden and the breaking windows with guineas amphibian campaign), which includes the North American theatre, which is relatively neglected.

I conclude that the bias is towards wars and theatres where big battles between large forces occurred, which omits a lot of more interesting stuff that would often better suit the limitations of the table-top.

On the other hand, this particular constituency might represent a particular grew-up-with-Airfix generation (I know I did), and modern 28mm ranges arguably show more diversity of subject matter. Perhaps that market is not so dependent on the Big Three of Napoleonics, ACW, and WW2.

The 1/72 market is generally geared toward traditional topics of British interest (Hastings, Hundred Years' War, Waterloo, WWII), although thanks to companies such as Strelets and Zvezda some Russo-Ukrainian topics have become more popular in the past two decades (Great Northern War anyone?). The 1/32 scale is shaded very heavily toward USA themes such as the North American theatre of the Seven Years' War, Texas Rebellion (The Alamo), Battle of the Little Bighorn, and of course WWII. The two scales overlap sometimes, but perhaps not as often as expected.